1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte to implement replacement or refund program for Intel 6 series motherboards

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by 15th Warlock, Feb 2, 2011.

1. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Looks like it's official, Gigabyte P67 motherboard owners will have to deal with the original seller for a refund or replacement, from Anandtech:

Gigabyte Announces 6-series Motherboard Replacement Program

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    Dang.. this is such an unexpected disaster to come out of SB motherboards. :(
  3. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    From Gigabyte's official tech blog:

I sent emails last night to both Provantage (my original seller) and Gigabyte, will let you guys know when I receive a reply from them, if you own one of these mobos I highly suggest you contact both the original seller and Gigabyte at:

http://ggts.gigabyte.com/Default.aspx
  4. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    wait.....this isn't going to be resolved until april?
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Go gb for making headway into this april for new boards tho phew bit of a wait
  6. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it is, that's what it says in the Q&A above :)
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  7. boomstik360

boomstik360

Thanks Received:
    Thank the lord my order for a sb build got canceled before this recall happened because my bank wasn't used to 3 grand purchases at newegg lol.
  8. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Got the following reply from Gigabyte:

Looks like Anand was right, and GB is recommending ppl to return their mobos for a full refund, dunno if I wanna do that though, my system is stable and I see no reason to send it back yet and wait 2 months, then again, mobos based on the Z68 will be out already and I can use my old proc and mobo while I wait, keep my 2600K and use my refund money towards a Z68 mobo.

What do you guys suggest I do? :confused:
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  9. Zen_

Zen_

Thanks Received:
    Returning a board right this minute doesn't make any sense unless you have a backup system. If Intel offered to pay for the cost of returned mobos and CPUs it might make a little more sense, but the worst possible thing that can happen between now and April is sata 2 ports quit working. Your computer isn't going to blow up and data on any attached disk is not going to be lost unless at the very moment a port stop working there's data being written.
    15th Warlock says thanks.
  10. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Wish we could get advanced replacements.
  11. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Yes, and I'm not even using those ports :p I have a backup CPU and mobo, but it'll be a pain in the ass building everything again, installing Win7 + games and apps and having to do it all over again in two months; if I wait til April to get the exchange, I wont mind waiting a week or so without my main PC if that means having to do the whole installation process only once...

But then again, if I save the money from my refund I could get a Z68 mobo once it's released, although I'm so happy with my new system, I really don't want to go back to my old proc :(

Do you mean getting a more advanced model when the time comes for an exchange? If mobo manufacturers would offer us the chance to upgrade to a newer model in a few months I would gladly accept it, I don't mind having to pay the difference and perhaps even shipping if they offered an exchange to a Z68 mobo, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen. Anand made the same suggestion in his editorial yesterday.
  12. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I meant like we send them our serial number and receipt copy as proof of ownership and they send us a replacement board upfront. I don't have a spare rig to fall back on. Now the Z68 option would be nice. Say you buy a new Z68 outright, then you send in your old board and get a large refund for your new Z68.
    15th Warlock says thanks.
  13. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Problem is there just aren't any backup boards as all chipsets are B2 stepping, and B3 stepping won't be available until maybe late April, so there's no point in getting defective replacement boards :( your last suggestion sounds reasonable enough to me though :)
  14. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    A little update: I asked GB if I could hold to my system until replacement boards were available, since I was using it without any problems so far, and this was their reply:

I haven't received any replies from my original seller (Provantage) even though I emailed them twice already.

I was wondering if any othe GB board owners have contacted GB and/or the board seller, and what have been your experiences so far. :confused: