1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte UEFI upgrade has been problematic at best!

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by rodneyhchef, Apr 18, 2013.

1. rodneyhchef

Thanks Received:
    I decided to try out the new beta UEFI BIOS for my Z68A-D3-B3.

It wouldn't detect my SSD. On my boot options I was offered the choice of one of the HDs in my raid array and my DVD drive and that's it (I have a total of 6 drives!) This was fixed on reboot with some settings changes.

Set everything up back as it was with the old bios and booted up. Much faster at booting now (Though raid bios still delays things a bit)

But then the real problems started

Windows had to re-install all the drivers for everything. I'm surprised it didn't stop working altogether at this point.
    I had to re-activate windows over the phone (not an issue, more an inconvenience)
    My PCI-E TV tuner stopped working (fixed by re-install of drivers and re-install of card)

Most annoying of all though is my 8800gs that I was using for the odd physx game doesn't show up as installed anymore. I was using it not a week ago doing some benches after upgrading my main graphics card. Removing and reseating the card has made no difference.

I suppose it's possible that it's a coincidence and that it's bitten the dust and I just haven't noticed but I think it's more likely to be a compatability issue?

Does anyone have any ideas? I was contemplating changing it anyway but not for a current gen card, maybe a GTX 460. But if that don't work either... :banghead:

I'm reluctant to roll back to the old bios (I'm not even sure that I can) as it will probably mean going through most of this rigmarole again

2. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    This is the problem with beta. You never know what is not going to work.

3. rodneyhchef

Thanks Received:
    A cautionary tale to be sure!

4. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Imo. Never update a bios unless manfacturer solves a board problem or the fax give description of performance upgrade

5. rodneyhchef

Thanks Received:
    Curiosity killed the cat in this instance. But yeah my old bios was working just fine. I blame peer pressure, 'cos I've not got UEFI, i might as well be a leper.

6. cruxis

cruxis

Thanks Received:
    The answer is quite easy actually, just revert to your old bios and let windows reinstall the drivers.
    I know because the same happened to me on windows 7 (everything was the same except the reactivate windows thing).

You can do it 2 ways:

1-using the backup bios of your motherboard (if the mobo have this feature) or

2-Google "gigabyte beta bios" then select the first choice, on the first page of that thread look where it says "Flash: UEFI back to AWARD" (is under the Z68 bios that are listed) and download the file. Then follow the instructions.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    rodneyhchef says thanks.
  7. rodneyhchef

Thanks Received:
    Thanks I'll give it a whirl tomorrow I think!