1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE X58A-UD7 is it worth buying?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by dr emulator (madmax), Jan 17, 2010.

?

would you buy it ?

Poll closed Mar 18, 2010.
  1. yes

51.7%
  2. not sure

18.4%
  3. no i don't think so

29.9%
  1. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Hmm I tried setting uncore to X16 manually, 1.66 vdimm and 9-9-9-27-CR2 timings @ x8 Multiplier and it still won't boot in the blue slots.

Does it matter if its auto or manual? Are you able to run yours in the blue slots without the white slots populated? :S I'm not fussed though I just wanna confirm whether or not there is something wrong with my board. :rolleyes:

2. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    well i looked in my manual and as far as i can tell the blue slots are used for 4 or 6 memory modules, if you just have 3 they go in the white slots ;)

although i can understand your fears (no one wants a duffo board)

random says thanks.
  3. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Isn't the base block 133mhz for uncore? Wouldn't that mean 16x133=2128Mhz?

I run a 205Mhz uncore, and a 10x Multi on the ram for 2050Mhz.

Think your trying to OC your ram beyond specs...

4. Duekay New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have to say the same, i have not have any problems with the board :) i have had it over a year :rockout:

5. Lubna

Lubna

Thanks Received:
    I have one I7-980x and this memory http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=293

The PC is turned off and on in cold and hot but when I turn on Windows 7 is stable.
    My Power Supply is one Corsair HX1000 and my graphic card is RADEON HD 5970 4Gb
    Anybody Can I Help me?

This is my hardware

Hardware
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Intel Core i7-980X Extrem HexaCore 3.33Ghz 12MB-L3 Nehalem-Gulftown 32nM.
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Intel X58+ICH10R ATX LGA1366 Triple-DDR3 Rev.:1.0 BIOS F7
    12 Gb. G.Skill 3x4GB DDR3-2000 F3-16000CL9T-12GBTDD +Fan Trident 9-9-9-24-2N 1.65V
    SAPPHIRE HD5970 4GB GDDR5 PCIE
    WD2001FASS
    WD Velociraptor 300GB WD3000HLFS MASTER SATA 3Gb/s 16MB-cache
    G.Skill FM-25S2S-100GBP1 MLC Sandforce MASTER 100G SATA 3Gb/s PHOENIX 2.5´´
    Corsair HX 1000 W.
    LG DVDRAM GH20NS10
    LG BD GGW-H20L
    Hp laserjet CM1312 MFP nfi
    3 * BenQ G2222HDL
    Logitech Wireless Desktop MK300
    HD Pro Webcam C910

Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate OEM
    Kaspersky internet security Version 2011 (11.0.1.400a)
    Microsoft office 2010 Bussines
    Alcohol 120%
    Catalyst 10.8
    Winrar v3.93 x64

Receive my best regards

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  6. timta2

Thanks Received:
    You are going to have to be a little more clear as to what the problem is.

Lubna says thanks.
  7. Lubna

Lubna

Thanks Received:
    When the PC is cold at 28 º C ambient the power supply is turned off and on two or three times and then the PC boots and is stable.
    When the PC is hot at 50 ° C ambient and pulse off in Windows 7, the PC is shut down properly, but when you turn the power supply is turned off and on five or six times until Windows 7 boots normally.

Gigabyte answered me this

Windows 7 with the memory at 1333 is unstable.
    I Don´t know to do.
    Now I have the PC on your technical :respect:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  8. Lubna

Lubna

Thanks Received:
    Now; With bios F7 It´s works six modules of ram :D

I will change my Gigabyte F7 by one MSI Bing Bang Power becouse i have problems with bios f7 :(

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  9. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    well mine makes a funny sound when you first apply power from the socket and when you switch of the power (kind of a rustling sound)

anyone else get this phenomena?

10. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    My main rig runs this mobo and it is awesome. I also built a buddy a hackintosh and it worked perfectly with this motherboard.

11. Lubna

Lubna

Thanks Received:
    My motherboard is damaged.
    So I will change to a motherboard with AMI BIOS like MSI BIG BANG XPOWER becouse is better by my SSD

Thank You very much ZenZimZaliben

12. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    anyone else ? i would record the sound, but obviously i'd need my webcam plugged into another machine
    (which i haven't got available because my corsair psu went pop :cry:)

oh and to anyone buying this motherboard, you will need windows xp with a service pack built in of at least sp2
    or if you have xp64 bit sp1

and yes guys i have to admit this board works better with a 64 bit operating system :)

13. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't get such a sound, it's a rev 2.0, if it makes any difference.

14. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    hm .gif it might be this rev 1.0 board that's making it hiss, i really don't know

if anyone else wants to talk about this motherboard (who isn't already a member)

just click "here" to join up (it's free and will only take a few minutes to do so) then you can enjoy being part of this tech community :)

please take a moment to read the Forum guidelines before posting

:toast:

15. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    I am using a rev 1.0 of the UD7 motherboard and I don't get such sounds at all, and in by opinion it would most likely be something else such as the computer monitor and gaming keyboard (with custom keys and LED lighting) which is what I get odd sounds from when I turn on the power from the sockets.

If it makes any difference my motherboard is using the F7 BIOS.

16. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    I also have rev 1.0 and have never had any problems I've had it for at least the last 6 to 8 months great overclocking board. Bios is F7 also.

17. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    I understand that many of the people's recommendation for this motherboard is the fact that it has SATA III and USB 3 ports as well as 3-way SLI support, but there is better and in my opinion you should really pay attention to this motherboards build design, quality and specifications rather than it's brand name. The motherboard I am speaking of is the Asrock X58 Extreme6 and seeing how better this motherboard is I wished I brought it instead of the UD7 which was the top motherboard to buy at the time (this was quite a while before the Asus Rampage III Extreme X58 for Socket 1366 came out), but unfortunately this motherboard wasn't out at around the time I got the UD7.

The reason I like this motherboard over my own is because of how the main graphics cards slots are layed out, the fact it has 6 USB 3 ports (two at the front, four at the rear) as well as 6 SATA III ports which is truly better than that of the UD7. There is also the 'True 333' chip built into the motherboard which gives the SATA III and USB 3 ports their true power as well as giving Graphics Cards in 2 or 3 way SLI their true power too (this is something that Gigabyte along with others with their motherboards, including the UD7, has failed with which is why Asrock made a testing video with a Gigabyte 1366 Motherboard being outclassed by Asrock's motherboard in these performance areas).

Only problem for me is that it seems Asrock's Extreme6 motherboard isn't obtainable in the UK yet so I guess I would rather wait for an 1366 X68 motherboard replacement if it happens rather than getting this motherboard right away, but if you are upgrading from a lower socket to 1366 then I recommend getting this insstead of the UD7.

Here is a link:
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=X58%20Extreme6

Here's another interesting motherboard which is by EVGA. This one has the same ideal main graphics card slot layout for 3 to 2 way SLI and some nice heat sinks to cool down the motherboard but the ports themselves would more or less be the same as the UD7 with the amount they have as well as how well they perform too:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-027-EA&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1692

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  18. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    I had a ASROCK 1366 EXTREME before I got my UD7 GIGI board and the back usb ports went out within 2 weeks of owning it sent it back and got the UD7 board and have had no problems with it. I will take my UD7 board over any cheaply built ASROCK board.
    Sorry but that was my experiences with ASROCK.

19. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
  20. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    Was it an Extreme6? :eek:

21. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    Nope back then they had not come out yet with the Extreme6. Maybe they are better boards, I will never know I will stick to the ones that don't break down on me...:D

22. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    I understand. I think it will be a lot better waiting for the new generation 1366 X68 motherboards (if it does happen) as it would be there where significant improvement would be seen (well there should be...) and besides my UD7 hasn't failed me yet. ^^

23. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    The ASRock isn't built as well, and won't OC as far as the UD7. They are a budget/bang-for-buck manufacturer for a reason. Not that it's a bad trait, but they just aren't going to compete with the higher end boards in terms of those 2 areas.

And only the top of the line eVGA boards are worth buying. The support on the less than top models isn't usually as good.

24. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    @Wile E

Look at this (Overclocking):
    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1041/pg17/asrock-x58-extreme6-and-intel-core-i7-970-review-overclocking-thermal.html

And this (Overall Conclusion):
    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1041/pg18/asrock-x58-extreme6-and-intel-core-i7-970-review-conclusion.html

Here is the beginning if you want to see the whole thing, but be warned there is 18 pages to get through:
    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1041/pg1/asrock-x58-extreme6-and-intel-core-i7-970-review-introduction.html

My only reply to your comment is LOL!!!

To others wondering about what my links are they would be a review of the Gigabyte UD9 vs the Asrock Extreme6 motherboards with test results included and in the review the Asrock motherboard is the one that rules which is a good reason to why not rely on brand names. ^^

As we know Gigabyte's UD9 is the superior motherboard so if it lost to the Asrock Extreme6 it's clear that the UD7 would too, but the truth is though that both the UD9 and Extreme6 runned roughly the same with the exception that the Extreme6 slightly out performed the UD9 in many of the tests.

Just one more point to add. The Asrock X58 Extreme6 1366 motherboard is a lot cheaper at around £181/$240 (as mentioned in the conclusion) where other high end motherboards are around £272 (like I paid for my UD7) or a lot more so not only does this motherboard out perform the UD9, but it is value for money too making this a much ideal motherboard to buy for those who are upgrading to 1366 from a lower socket. ^^

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  25. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    I love my ud7. The water cooling block on the chipset is excellent. Something you would have to pay an extra $40 to do on the asrock.