1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Girlfriends laptop issues, please help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by stevednmc, Feb 2, 2011.

1. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    My girlfriend has a Compaq CQ60-417DX with the Celeron processeor and Windows Vista Home premium. Its not the fastest in the world but it has served her well for facebook and remoting into her office pc to work from home.
    Over the last few months she has been having issues with it. Namely the keyboard, when she is typing online the characters do not seem to register as quickly as she types them, missing letters and things like that, obviously making it hard to type passwords and things like that. I have a laptop connected to the same network but no issues there for me, but she says it only happens online.
    Also even with the sound turned off, out of the blue the computer will beep. Doesnt matter what she is doing, just seems random, maybe the motherboard is beeping, some kind of error?
    If anyone has any ideas for me to try i would appreciate it very much. She says thank you as well!
  2. overclocker

overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Could be the keyboard is disconnecting from the motherboard, fix could be to take the keyboard off and reconnect it. If you can reinstall windows and all the drivers it could also fix the problem.
  3. boogah New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like overheating issue where the CPU is throttle down and doesn't responds as quickly.. the beep could be warning from the sensors..
  4. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh i wish i could reinstall windows on it,,,but there is only a recovery partition on it and i dont have a Vista disk.
    Seems odd that it only happens online, and not when she is using other programs though. Mamybe ill have to try to take it apart, she may not let me lol...
  5. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    If you have a recovery partition, you don't need discs. Look up the proper key combination via Google that you need to use when booting in order to invoke the recovery mode. These are specific to individual manufacturers.
  6. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ithink I amy just put 7 on it anyway. Its a low end computer so i think 7 will help out alot.

Ill install realtemp on it and see what the temps are.

Will realtemp read on a celeron processor?
  7. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its strange, ive installed and am running occt linpack test and the cpu will not budge from 23 degC.
  8. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    OCCT and Harwaremonitor are not always accurate with their temps afaik. Though I expect the Celeron 900 not to run really hot (TDP=35w IIRC) as long as the coolingof the laaptop isn't full of dust.

BTW, don't waste money on a Win7 license yet, as it only has a lower RAM footprint afaik, not really a significantly lower CPU footprint. And as it seems, it did work before so I suggest using CCleaner to clean Windows. And use Malwarebytes to check the machine on malware just in case (it won't disturb the AV your GF may have installed).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, i was thinking it might not be, but tbh it doesnt feel all that hot running linpack, and i ran it for an hour with no issue. the fan was running and air was moving. I have installed cccleaner and ran it, but not malwarebytes, Im gonna take it apart and clean it i guess, maybe run mem test.
  10. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Ever tried using an external usb keyboard, see if its still evident?
    stevednmc says thanks.
  11. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a big checklist, but it seems this would be a good order:

Install CoreTemp to check temps, try a USB keyboard, watch the processes and CPU usage in the task manager during it all, download crystal disk utility and check the health of the Hard Drive. 9Never know when them things will go), and if you are darting then a slab of new Artic Silver could never hurt by going to the guts.
    stevednmc says thanks.
  12. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats a good idea, dont know why i didnt think of it!

I will try all that this weekend. Thanks for the pointers.