1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[FF][US] Giveaway: Red Faction Armageddon

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade/Giveaway Forum' started by theonedub, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Winner selected and thread closed :toast:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
    Norton, brandonwh64, Maban and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Is this any good? Anyway, I haven't played Dead Island so I really can't comment on that.
  3. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    Awesome mate!

I own both Metro and Dead Island. And I want to point out that I think they're both evenly great. Not just "great in they're own genre" blah blah, just great over all.

Not going to write an entire essay, so I'll keep it brief by pointing out the one thing that I loved about each game.

Metro 2033: First time I played I absolutely loved when you had your gas mask on. It's completely clausterphobic with the heavy breathing, limited vision, and fogging of the glass. It made me feel uncomfortable breathing in real life the first time I played. Never felt that way with any other game.

Dead Island: So I've played pretty much all zombie games that you could possibly play on PC. What I loved about Dead Island is how big the game felt yet how small it felt. You're on this giant island, but at the same time there's lounge chairs tipped over, tables in your way, tons of vegetation, and a bunch of cars. So yes it's a big island, but your movement is limited. So this added to the fear factor because you always felt trapped, especially if a swarm is after you.

I can't pick between the two. Both evenly awesome.

Thanks for giving back to the community! Again lol
    theonedub says thanks.
  4. [AK]Zip

[AK]Zip New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for this.

I liked Metro 2033 more even though topically I enjoy co-op and multiplayer games over single player. I just found the game overall more polished and it drew me into the story much more. Dead Island on the other hand is pretty fun in co-op mode with friends. The single biggest thing I can advise when playing Dead Island is download "Dead Island Helper". There are many tweaks available which will helped solve many initial issues I had including FOV.
  5. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Count me in!

Well I have yet to play dead island but I did play metro and the only thing that gets me with metro is the one sided with the GPU scaling. Nvidia is the chosen card with this game.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    Metro is plain out awesome. One of my fav's. Dead island is alright if u like killin zombies but thats all u do just like left 4 dead. It gets boring after a while.

You can toss me in on this one. Will look it up tonight to see what its about.
  7. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    never played metro or dead island,but I hear they are both great games
  8. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Toss me in on this for sure! And Dead Island simply because who doesn't like to blast hordes of zombies into bloody particles :roll:
  9. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I would say Metro 2033 definitely takes the cake here. Both are good, both had their strengths and drawbacks.

Metro 2033 has a good story, strong characters, great atmosphere, good action and fighting, good baddies, Russians, and flying demons. The drawback was of course it took a beast to run nicely.
    Admitably, it took 3 times to finally get into the game. First 2 times I thought "eh" and left it alone. Then the third time it clicked and I loved it.

Dead Island has fun, nice scenery, zombies!, and bikinis. The drawback was that the game felt redundant, and to me it struck a very "Far Cry 2" chord, granted it was more fun.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Once at least 10-15 people have entered I will close the thread and select a winner. Thanks for all the entries so far :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    I would have to say Metro2033. As was already mentioned, when wearing the gas mask it almost gave me the claustrophobic feeling in real life as well. I felt the game drew me in way more than Dead Island.

Now that it has been mentioned, I need to frigging reload Metro and start playing again!! :)

Also Theonedub, thanks a million for being so awesome and giving to the community man!!!
    theonedub says thanks.
  12. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Add me to please. Ans I like killing Zombies.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Add me please.

Having played both its no easy winner. Metro has its stunning visuals and pretty good game play and Dead Island has acceptable visuals with tons of zombie slashing gore fun.

Despite Dead Island having a really fun Multiplayer, after beating the game and reaching the max level (maybe 10 levels sooner) the game gets repetitive and the missions completely bland. I couldn't even find myself going back just to kill zombies anymore. Dead Island would like to have you think its more like a sandbox but its quests are still basically linear. The combat is extremely well thought out and fun but the repetition of it all will basically have you hacking and moving to the next.

Metro2033 has to take the cake but not by much. It has a story line I'm sure we've most played more than once with an atmosphere that is just hard to get tired of despite its linear gameplay. The characters and voices are well thought out and just make sense something I felt Dead Island was lacking. At the end of the day I suppose its up to if you if you feel like a tropical getaway overrun by zombies or a post apocalyptic Russia with mutant creatures, anomalies and bad guys lurking every corner. If I had to play one or the other I think I'd go for Metro2033.

Perhaps if I played Dead Island MP with some friends (Curse you consoles!) and had a blast killing zombies with them the experience with Dead Island would have been more compelling but alas that was not the case and thus Metro provided me with a more compelling experience than DI.
  14. STCNE

STCNE New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've only played a few levels of Metro, and watched half an LP of Dead Island, but I'll say Metro is the better game. It just seems more interesting and less bland. Dead Island seems just a little silly especially once you get to the parts of the game where you're doing shootouts with gang members, the engine just doesn't play well with shootouts.

woops, count me out. I thought this was OCN, I don't have the post count here :slap:
  15. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    Count me in too!!

Thanks
  16. DM3K

DM3K

Thanks Received:
    Must spam posts till I qualify.
  17. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Looks like everyone who is interested has entered and Metro2033 is the more popular game. Seems like everyone already owns Metro though- leaves me in a pickle :laugh:

Thread closes @ 6PM pacific time.

Thanks!
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    Metro 2033
    End of story
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I'll give it a try- toss my name in the pool :toast:
  20. WarhammerTX

WarhammerTX New Member

Thanks Received:
    I liked Dead island I love killing zombies
  21. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Random.ORG has picked you as the winner. Expect a PM shortly with redemption instructions.

Thanks to everyone for participating. I'll evaluate the posts and post the next giveaway in an hour or two.
    Crunching for Team TPU