1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Giving away my $3000 Steam account

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Phusius, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Son, have you been drinking? Life sucks and we all gonna die some day. Enjoy while you can whatever you can. There are billions in this world who are more miserable than you. You will get laid, you will earn more than 9$ per hour and the summer will always come after spring. About those games, I don't know man.

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Dam right gotta be cruel to be kind as feeling sorry for some one does shit for them.

3. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I live at home with my parents, no rent. So a lot of that money is bank, but still not enough to pay my student loans (70 grand with 16% interest rate, yeah I was an idiot when I was 18, thought I was king of the world like most 18 year olds, and I got duped by a shitty college).

I guess I should be thankful I have what I do have, I am not the first person to get duped in the world and lose everything. It's a shame these young white men who go on shooting sprees don't go into corporate America and unleash their mentally ill fuck fest, instead of doing it on children and in movie theaters. :nutkick:

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Shut up. I was living on the street, homeless, 16 years ago, owning nothing but the dirty clothes I wore. I didn't get off the street by feeling sorry for myself. I got off my ass and made shit happen.

Give me your Steam account, my 4 kids will use it lots.

Chevalr1c and Aquinus say thanks.
  5. syeef

Thanks Received:
    I think the problem here is the debt, 70 grand + 16% interest rate (crazy rate... note to self, stay away from loans) and he is under mental pressure of how he is going to pay back.

Even if you are living on the street (Sorry to hear about that), you can still be happy if you don't have such worries and mental pressure.

OnePostWonder and Chevalr1c say thanks.
  6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You make it sound like that living on the street barely surviving isn't mental pressure...

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  7. syeef

Thanks Received:
    Well I know a thing or two about living on the street... my father was abandoned as a child, he has been on his own since he was in the 2nd grade, he lived on and off the streets for years. And may I remind you, we are from a third world country, so he had it worse. Still he was happy, still is.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  8. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Here's my 2 pennies (cents) Don't give away nothing, you didn't get where you are now with things being thrown at you, yeah that would of been nice and even more so as if that was the case you wouldn't have the massive debt on your shoulders but as I said you didn't get where you are now for nothing did you, everything costs something nowadays but there is nothing better than a good conversation with friendly advice from the guys at the community here and elsewhere, wherever suits you as long as you can look upon someone as a friend when your in need then that's all that's needed when it truly comes down to it. Take what you have and keep them as I reminder of who you are and the steps you've taken in life that makes you you!

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  9. odameyer

odameyer

Thanks Received:
    Phusius did what I say in my previous post at all describe how you're feeling? Seems pretty common among people our age who have our eyes open to the madness.

I was having a discussion earlier today about it and I think I'm going to try and become part of the solution somehow.

The debt and all that can be worked through if you try hard to find a light at the end of tunnel to keep you going and out of a lethargic mind state. Odds are that if you try you very likely will find something like I might have today.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  10. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:

Did you have no credit? Sure $9 an hour getting yourself off the streets is possible, but I will never be able to dig myself out of this debt with a cumulative interest rate of 16%, any decent companies that will hire me now won't hire me once they run the credit check (and they do because I still apply to jobs that require a BA degree), so I have no way to dig myself out. I am glad you were able to dig yourself out of your hole, but something tells me your credit wasn't destroyed, or if it was it was a manageable come back. Being homeless is one thing, but your credit destroyed sticks with you for life. I probably will be homeless once my parents die, as I can't even get an apartment right now as they also run credit checks.

11. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    You can't just be so general as saying don't get your BA. What is your study?

What is your study?

Without a doubt, there are certain degrees out there that don't have the best job outlook. If you have one of those degrees and want do well, you need to be ambitious and persevere. I was reading about someone the other day who finished their undergraduate work in History and English Literature (B-O-R-I-N-G) and went on to found a pretty successful media company.

12. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    So, just how did you get to spend 3 grand on Steam - did you blow the grant or something?

13. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    No most of my steam games I got on discount, huge discounts from 3 major Steam summer/winter sales, but the retail value according to this website is over 3 grand, I probably barely spent 1.

14. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    *Anachronistic TechPowerUp, 16 years ago*

I'm X years of age, I own nothing but the dirty clothes I wear, and I'm homeless. Convince me life is worth living.

Do yourself a favor. Stop skirting forum guidelines by telling someone to shut up, come down off your cross, and realize that people don't come from exactly the same situation. How you can even come down on him knowing as little as you do is beyond me.

Kudos to this guy for being positive and not flying off the emotional handle. It would take someone who comes from a caste system and knows quite a bit about how diverse people's hardships can be, wouldn't it?

I agree that it is, but can someone find me the statistics on how many people die a year of starvation, exposure, etc. as a result of homelessness in the United States? How about Canada? It will become more common the more this country becomes a corporatocracy, but we're not there yet.

syeef, qubit, Chevalr1c and 1 other person say thanks.
  15. qubit

Thanks Received:
    A grand is still an awful lot if you don't have money - repent! :laugh: I'm messin' with ya. :)

I don't think you should give away your Steam games. You paid good money for them and no undeserving member on any forum should get it. And no, I don't want you to give it to me, either. If you don't feel like playing them for a while, then just don't and be happy knowing you've got them for when you're in the mood. Just how crap will you feel if you give them away and then really want to play some of them? Like shit, that's how. Don't do it.

I think all these members judging you like this are way out of order and I agree with what OnePostWonder said to overly judgemental know-it-all cadaveca. On the other hand, I don't think confessions like these in public are a good idea and just invites people to dump on you, as you've seen.

If you need to sound off (and by god, do I bore my friends sometimes :laugh: ) then talk to your friends and family and maybe online in private with people you know you can trust.

16. syeef

Thanks Received:
    Thank you.

But I am a Muslim, and we don't have a "caste system". Hindus have caste system, but we (Muslims) live next to the Hindus, we are neighbors :).

17. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Just come to Australia, the Government here is so crazy that they will wipe your past debts, pay you $5 an hour for doing nothing, give you house assistants credit each week, and if your lucky buy you a new laptop. (im not joking either)

18. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Dammit and I thought England's welfare state was soft. I'm amazed Australia actually wipes out people's debts, though. Unless you didn't mean that too literally?

19. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: Yea all you do is claim for Bankruptcy and its gone. The only thing you cant do after you have claimed for that is not get a loan of any kind for a period of 10yrs i think. Im not 100% sure on how it works, but I know a few people have done that and yea there debts are gone.

One way or another they will look after you and still pay you money every fortnight regardless what problems you have done in the past. Just alot of paper work is all.

Chevalr1c and qubit say thanks.
  20. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    Oh, well, I had a 50% chance of being right. Had I done a bit of research on Dhaka, I would have seen there was a much higher likelihood of you being Muslim. Like you said though, you're neighbors, so you've been exposed to it.

21. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Listen. I have no credit NOW. Nothing. I pay cash for everything, and what I cannot get and I want, I either get by working(such as reviews), or I simply...wait.

70k is NOTHING. Really. Can't even make a down payment on a house here with that.

It's not different than me having the job here @ TPU. I got this job, simply, because I put in more effort than the others that responded, by getting off my ass, and doing the legwork. I told W1zz he was wasting his time looking elsewhere, and then I proved it.

My parents split when I was 2.5. I spent my childhood years bouncing from home to home with my dad and his many girlfriends, or whatever it was, and my mom left the country. I didn't see her again until I was nearly 10. By the time I was 16, my family had been fighting over whose responsibility I was so much, that simply, I wasn't wanted. By then I was living with my grandparents, who then kicked me out @ 16, jobless. My mom and Dad wouldn't let me move in with them.. each had new lives and new families of their own.

I used to be down over all of that, but then I went overseas, and saw the real deal. That whole "first world problems" thing...you have no idea. I came back home, and ended up in jail. It's not surprising many immigrants do as well. I understand their perspective all too well.

You sound like a pussy. Suck it up, man up, and own the life you've got. IF you didn't have anything bad in your life, you wouldn't know what good was, anyway. Now, to you, good would be debt free....so MAKE IT HAPPEN...nobody is gonna do it for you but you.

I sit at home all day, while my wife is out working...got it pretty good...but I bloody well earned that, and continue to earn it, every damn minute. Life is a struggle, and only the strong reach the top. Don't be weak, don't relax, don't take it easy...go down fighting.

Man, If you said that in person, I'd slap you in the face. And that's not me being an "internet tough guy". Shove those words right back where they came from, I would. You're only making excuses. Me, I'm not afraid to fail.

And here you sit, doing the exact same thing as me. Pot calling the kettle black. Difference is, I have an open door willing to have anyone come in and take a look. I'm not skirting forum guidelines...this is how I talk. With respect. But I don't put up with BS. You are more than welcome to judge me. I expect that every week when my reviews get posted. I am more than open to scrutiny. Are you?

And I realize it may sound like there's emotion in my post...I'm simply putting on my writing hat. No emotion involved. I really don't care, but this is a tech forum, not a self-help forum, really. I' am simply, and maybe effectively(I hope), stating my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    MxPhenom 216, Chevalr1c and Phusius say thanks.
  22. jaggerwild

jaggerwild

Thanks Received:

Im going to slice my wrists :roll:

23. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    cadaveca I understand where your coming from, I to believe in this republican ideals of pull yourself up with your own bootstraps, etc. i graduated in may 2011 with my BA in History and Political Science, yes a foolish major I am well aware of this. anyways, I applied for well over 200 jobs with custom resumes and cover letters for each one, and I still apply to some jobs today, no one fucking wants me man. and any man will start to give up eventually. but actually your post did kind of help, I just have to keep applying, maybe something will come up. last job I applied for was a security officer position and they told me they were hiring veterans only for the time being. I am considering joining the Army, but I was told they wont accept me because my student loans are in bad status. does anyone know if this is true about the Army? cause I see it as my only escape of late.

24. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    Its called free room and board from loving parents

25. jaggerwild

jaggerwild

Thanks Received:
    As long as your in School they cant send it in to collections(or default rates). The military may prove a solution, your in a tuff place thats clear!!
    Do something, start with baby steps, then you will see how your whole outlook will change. What ever you do, never give up on you!!!!!!