1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Global Warming going to get us?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by SK-1, May 7, 2008.

1. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It seems rather ignorant to say that humans have no impact on global climate. We have vastly changed the way nature is able to play out. Why are there so many cows, for instance.

Of course we need to work on the economy, but theres no reason to not attempt to affect the global climate in a more favorable way for our species simultaneously.

2. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Your a Libertarian obviously. Free trade isn't free.;)

Letting the market control itself is far to dangerous as an absolute. Its naive to trust corporations to do the right thing. They are just like the average person. Power= Corruption, and the only way to help prevent and fight corruption is through checks and balances. Libertarianism is very Ann Rand. :(

I am sure the fabolously wealthy don't want us to tell them to spend a little extra money for us to not have our children born with Asthma or chronic bronchitus like I have.:shadedshu

The extra money is the measures to prevent extreme pollution. Lead pollution causes a drop in IQ when people drink it from ground water. There are many reasons to try to not pollute the environment. But it takes foresight, and Libertarianism has always lacked it.

3. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    nah, not supernova.

The sun has to little mass to die with a bang, most likely it will become a dwarf. I hate dwarfs.

But anyways, of course all the cars and shit contribute to the CO2 levels in the atmosphere, which has effects on messing other things up.

Earth is very finely tuned, it has it's cycles and moments, at times it's happy and puts out for us, other times it's bitchy and showering us with it's nasty fluids. Much like a woman.

But mankind HAS messed with the planet, and it has upset some of the cycles and balances, to what degree I don't know, but I'm sure it can by plenty worse. I'm glad I won't be around when us humans really screw up our only home.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  4. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    you HAVE to be kidding...right? :shadedshu

5. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ignore him, there is always an ignorant person on a forum.

6. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Many people in the United States are told that global warming doesn't exist, and do not think to question it by looking at real data provided by scientists that aren't funded by the petroleum institute.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    screw earth, space is where we belonge

8. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:

:roll:

Halo, Star Trek, and Star Wars aren't real.

The "Star Wars" defense system is though. It was designed to shoot down ICBM's. :laugh:

9. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    But only 50% of the time.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  10. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Huh?:confused:

I thought it was like 30%?

But they aren't even using that anymore. As soon as they would see one now they would probably use Thor's hammer or something even more advanced. :)

11. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    to be honest with you - that's how it will eventually become. The Earth simply cannot sustain the human race for ever. If you've read Red Dwarf then you can see my view - Earth will eventually become a landfill planet and we would have migrated into the solar system by them

12. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Not in our lifetime.;)

13. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    i'm more into gundam wing colony concept

14. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not any time in the near future. The costs are astronomical. I saw somewhere there is the form of propulsion that stems from combining anti-matter w/ matter, and the resulting explosions within. This form of propulsion could send us into space at near the speed of light, allowing us to travel much further quicker than our current highly inefficient form of propulsion (most of the energy to get a shuttle into space is spent carrying the vast amounts of fuel needed, equivalent of driving cross-country with a huge tank of gas on your car). The problem is anti-matter does not occur naturally, at least not anywhere we've looked, and creating a gram or so of it would be enough to "bankrupt" the world. If we could only work together and take economics out of the equation........

And the sun will not likely explode, however before it becomes a red dwarf it will expand to a much greater size, and will indeed engulf the earth. Thats so far in the future though, humans will likely destroy themselves first.

15. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    why dont we use Nuclear fusion? and recreat the sun and tap the engery from that i saw on discovery channel that the are building would be running in 30 years and is 100% safe and unlimited ammount of engery

16. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    There is always a way. Good point.;)

17. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's probably the way it will go next. I believe that is still far more expensive than our current methods, and scientists have yet to find a way to properly harness the inordinate amount of energy released in nuclear fusion. They know how to start it, but not control it. Also, although this does release immense amounts of energy, I believe the reactions are still not nearly as powerful as matter v.s. anti-matter. However, we are much closer to achieving the former.

18. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
  19. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice, looks like they're quite close indeed. :)

20. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I consider myself a progressive republican. Actually though it is the government which creates monopolies through legislation. By altering the delicate balance of supply and demand, the government in effect creates economic problems which otherwise wouldn't exist. It then tries to fix these problems with yet more legislation. :shadedshu

Additionally, there is no proof that the minute levels of lead in nearly all of America's water supply result in a noticeable decrease in IQ. Furthermore, chronic bronchitis and asthma are not directly related to green house gases. We're actually cleaner today than we were 100 years as a whole.

What many liberals don't understand is that government should work for the people. It shouldn't regulate everything that we do (banning incandescent light bulbs :twitch: etc.). Theodore Roosevelt probably summed it up best:

"We must treat each man on his worth and merits as a man. We must see that each is given a square deal, because he is entitled to no more and should receive no less.
    - New York
    State Fair
    September 3, 1903- TR"

"If an American is to amount to anything he must rely upon himself, and not upon the State; he must take pride in his own work, instead of sitting idle to envy the luck of others. He must face life with resolute courage, win victory if he can, and accept defeat if he must, without seeking to place on his fellow man a responsibility which is not theirs.
    - Review of Reviews
    January 1897- Theodore Roosevelt"

Finally, I don't want to pollute the environment. There are just more important things to be focusing on (which will allow us the freedom to protect the environment and stop pollution in the future). We need to get there first. We simply do not have the resources necessary to stop pollution at this moment.

21. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Who can take that face seriously? Seriously?

22. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Ah, none of this matters anyways guys. The poles are going to shift and we are all going to die by 2012.

23. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    If the poles shift in 2012 what's that gonna do to us? North becomes South and Sount becomes North. So what? It's happened plenty of times in the past and guess what... there's still loads of life on this planet.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  24. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:

It's humans who are at fault think they can do what they want all the time...... We don't even like to think of our selfs as animals which we are.

We too cocky and it will bite us in the ass sooner or later..

I don't really believe were in total blame. Like i think we do help it a long but there's other things that are happening which are natural.

25. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:

Yeah there is but it's a shame were here.

Last edited: May 10, 2008