1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Global Warming going to get us?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by SK-1, May 7, 2008.

1. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Yea but the hard part is getting that much LN2 chilled. Uses lots of energy to do that unfortunately otherwise there is a fair number of alternatives we could use. Compressed air actually looks pretty promising.

2. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    So we make a shit load of it at hover damn or some other place. We don't have to use fuel to make it.

Solor power, wind farms. TONS of was to get the energy to make LN2.

Heck why not geoermal even?

3. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    werd Da Mult, werd. I'd overclock a Supra :p

4. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    NOT TRUE

The American idians did not abuse the land. When they killed something they used everything on it. They did not waste.

I think if the American Indians would of had another 1000 years they would of been what the rest of the world was, BUT just maybe teaching everyone how to treat nature right.

5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Native Americans***

Indians are in India.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    No Native Indians - they weren't Americans at all until Washington came about (ish not completely right but America and Americans wasn't used for quite some time after the discovery of the continent and it's push for independence.)

Anyway, I would personally like to see more of each household using resources. Like rain water. We (my household) traps and holds 3 barrels of rainwater. I would love to have an entire \under house tank that can be used to flush toilets, wash cars, water plants. And I would like to see roofs with solar power on them, make the house generate it's own power. Now that's a better living!

7. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    I know we killed all of them here......

That's what my son told me(I do have 1/16 in me my dad is a 1/4)

I was talking to my six year old about how we were really mean to the Indians. How we killed a lot of them and forced them to move to the state that I live in then took that to.

Then he looked at me with this real serious Business face and said, BUT dad we needed the land it was the only way to really get it.

LOL The Danest things little kids say......

8. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    "America" was first used on a map by German cartographer Martin Waldseemüller in April 25, 1507.

Columbus landed October 12, 1492.

Apparently, everyone went by Columbus's inaccurate name until the 1960's when "Native American" was popularized. Read more about that here.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Man people where coming here for 100s of years before that. IT WAS A hidden trade post.

Had to of been because people in the pyramids were buried with things from over here.

Just think if you know about this place, and the trades made you the big $$$ and no one else knew LOl..

I know I would want to see the end of the world. I don't see why other captains didn't either.

10. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Global warming was an issue before scientists had even considered the concept.

"Global warming" is a device of the liberal mentality, and unfortunatley liberalness is rooted in politics. I think IGOR is a perfect example of this.

Besides, what I said is irrelevant of politics. Man's contribution to CO2 levels is IRRELEVANT to global warming, however, when you throw in IGOR type politics, it suddenly becomes relevant to "Global warming" <---which is something entirely different.

Yes, and it's ironic that we're tearing down forests and taking people's food and agriculture in South America in order to find resources for 'bio-fuels.' Funny how people aren't crying 'save the trees' now...

That's exactly the difference. Micro-evolution can be observed in human real time in a Petri dish; macro-evolution, (a squirrel turning into a bird) has never been observed or documented. There are no transtional fossils, no change in phyla, Gradualism is inconsistent, and P. Equilibrium(Similar to Darwin's theories), is still unfounded. And you can't have both, it's one or the other, no matter how much Richard Dawkins would like to spin his fairy tales. Real scientists(astronmers, physicists and mathmaticians none the less, with the help of zoologists), like Hugh Ross, have easily debunked the myth through the obvious and irrefutable DNA evidence missing from fossils. Finally, any change, even superficial, would be molecular to some extent, and there's no room for macro-evolution in molecular biology.

HENCE, that's a tall order. None the less politically zealous liberals can SCARE or FORCE the world into accepting it, despite scientific rebutall. They've been trying for years. And I do believe they still have a better chance at that, then giving a definitive conclusion and solution to "Global Warming!"

Preaching to the choir...

This is why I mentioned the liberals; because their science is built off their moral/ethical/political platform, which is fine, IF it's something you ACTUALLY believed in. Shamefully, most of the time it's not. Modern liberalism is a trend, where once it used to be more natural(i.e. young people tend to be more liberally minded...naturally), and it's also a political agenda to uproot conservatism.

It's very hard to dissect simple liberalness from the masquerades.

It's people like IGOR(whom your words describe perfectly...) that give everyone a bad name.

I don't think scientists need to be morally/ethically/politically dettached in order to be good at what they do, they just need to present OBJECTIVE conclusions in order to be professional.

"Global warming" has not been professional, it's been a circus.

Six? Interesting thing to tell a six year old. Did you tell them some sap stories about Pocohantes too? ;rolls eyes;

Looks like your kid's fairly smart though, maybe he's a beacon of hope and will keep an objective mind about the poor indians, instead of turning a blind eye to invasion conquests by someone like the Romans, who consequentley we call heroes and legend, rather than murderers and thieves a.k.a the 'white devil.'

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  11. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Did you miss this part that he said

LOL

Yes my six year old is very smart. I have grown up talks with him....Hell I had to have a real talk about lesbians because his mom become one.

VERY SMART and understands the world more than I can't believe.

It is cool I don't make him do his homework because he does not have to.

1st grade

Has a 20 problem math test every week

ALWAYS 100%

Has a 10 word spelling test every week

Always 100%

Is in the highest reading level and takes after school reading classes(mainly because it's free daycare for a day for 2 hours LOL but his friends go so he likes it)

I wish you guys knew my little boy. I swear he is like no other in a good way. It's like he is adult the stuff that he does and says.

Hell he saves up his money and wants to go buy cloths......YEA not toys CLOTHS
    and he gets cloths all the time...

12. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Global warming only became an issue because the world was being changed in an unnatural way. It's not the fact there is warming, it's how quickly the warming is happening and the cause of the warming. Global warming is not a device of liberal mentality unless of course you assume only liberals are climate scientists.

Humans being a major contributor to CO2 levels would make us very relevant to global warming, among our many other green house gases we've been releasing. I suppose you could call it all "Climate Change" if you wanted, but it was only given that name by those in power at the white house to downplay the issue as bush has a horrible environmental record.

That's very unfortunate but there is a lot more to it. What happens is the developed nations give these poor countries loans which they stand almost no chance of paying back. To pay for these loans they have to start clearing out their resources which they pay to us in the form of interest. We don't generally search for 'bio-fuels' so much as we plant them.

But yes we should be very concerned about the damage we're doing in South America, and throwing the earths climate at a wack isn't going to make things easier for them.

This has so many fallacies to it that it warrants an entire other thread. Just google transitional forms for example and you are bombarded with incredible amounts of fossils and evidence. Evolutionary principals (yes macro) are literally applied every single day by biologists. If you would like to discuss this further please create a new thread.

Why do you keep blaming liberals for everything? Political talk has no purpose in what's supposed to be a science thread and speaks wonders as to everything wrong with scientific discussion now.

So now it's not just science it's "liberal science". You can't build science off of something generally because then it wouldn't be science. Science doesn't have morals, it doesn't have ethics and it doesn't choose a political party. Science is not about belief it's about facts. Science is not out there to uproot conservatism.

Scientists don't have to be morally/ethically/and politically detached unless they're working. All of those things can have a negative influence and dilute the 'facts'. Science is not about feeling something out, science is about hard explanations for things we don't know about yet. How do you come up with an objective conclusion if you're already naturally biased for a certain outcome?

Global warming has been professional for the past 50 years. It has only been recently that it's been thrown into the political spotlight and everyone jumped on board.

DaedalusHelios says thanks.
  13. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Ok on the first video, at about 15 seconds I lost my hope. Just listen.

The second video is interesting. But I have seen UFO videos from the same time period and have yet to see an Alien.

Another observation about the second video. It was from 1958. I wonder how many tons of greenhouse gas has been emitted since then. An educated guess would be many tons increasing in a linear fashion since that year. Soooooo, why has the avg. earth temp not done the same?

14. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Well it has, during the 70's many skeptics point out the cooling that happened during that period. However there was another factor during the 70's which we no longer have as much of anymore, and that's soot. The 70's cooling may have been greatly influenced by a process called global dimming. Basically old factories and coal power plants pumped huge amounts of soot and ash into the atmosphere and actually decreased the amount of sunlight that was reaching the earth. However this was corrected due to anti-pollution initiatives which reduced the amount of particles in the air and caused the earth to begin warming again.

The reason for the older video was basically to show that we've known about this process and possible causes of it for a long period of time and it just hasn't been in the political spotlight until recently. Unfortunately political science is not a science at all and messes things up.

Always a pleasure SK-1, it's good talking to you again :toast:

DaedalusHelios says thanks.
  15. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Yes and a happy new year to you.

I want your take on this. More polar ice since 1979. The seals are in trouble now, more Polar bears.
    http://www.dailytech.com/Article.aspx?newsid=13834

16. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Aw, no more using the Arctic Ocean as a shortcut for seafaring vessels. :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Well i jumped into a bit of research and I'm unsure as to the accuracy of that article though it does include some good key points in it. There was rapid growth over october and november of 2008 however it's not as great as the changes that were implied in the article.

"Overview of conditions

Average Arctic sea ice extent for the month of November was 10.63 million square kilometers (4.10 million square miles).

Ice extent for the month of November was 580,000 square kilometers (220,000 square miles) greater than November 2007 but 680,000 square kilometers (260,000 square miles) less than the 1979 to 2000 November average. "

http://www.nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

The ice reached it's lowest 'volume' ever this year which actually takes into account the depth of the ice as opposed to just the amount of area it covers.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080915162428.htm

And i couldn't help myself with the last comments from your article about the polar bears.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11656
    http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/ask-the-experts/population/
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126882.700-more-polar-bears-going-hungry.html

I have to wonder where some articles get their sources from sometimes.

SK-1 says thanks.
  18. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
  19. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    That's very unfortunate :(

Check out this blog which has gathered a large amount of information on the subject of global warming (I know it's a blog but it's a blog from someone who actually did research in the field and cites everything)

http://greenfyre.wordpress.com/denier-vs-skeptic/