1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Going amd\ati

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by samijokipuu, Dec 30, 2009.

1. samijokipuu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, because of my current frustration with my pos pc i've decided to go amd, maybe it wont have constant problems like my current pc, imma return the whole pos and take my money back, i wanna build an awesome gaming amd ati pc, now i have no knowledge of amd\ati at all, few months ago i woulda punched mahself in the nuts if i\d even considered building amd\ati pc.

Basically this is what i want, like i said, i know nothing about amd\ati so u gonna have to help me.

1.Best cpu possible
    2.Best mobo possible
    3.Best gpu possible, definately crossfire 2 cards.
    4.Best RAM, 6 gigs is golden.
    4.Maybe a raptor for OS and a ''regular'' drive for games then 1tb storage
    5.Blu-ray drive ??? Never needed it thus far.
    6.The case will be the same i have now, HAF 932, cuz i love it !!!! hahah
    7.Same watercooling i have now, also love it.

My original pc cost 6000e, imma use maybe 2000e this time cuz amd\ati is cheap, but the object is to get the best of everything even if it goes above 2 gees.

2. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    that should be easy ,, whats wrong with urs thou ,, it looks pretty good

3. Zebeon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like you have one heck of a machine already?

4. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    you already have the BEST ... just get rid of your GPU's and get the GPU's you want!

5. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    your pc is already perfect. you dont need to change it, just format, use another os and be happy

6. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Exactly what is happening with your current set up?

7. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    yea haha for real, explain before asking us to decide to build a rig that won't be as fast as ur current...:wtf:

8. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    So thuis is your rig right?

System Name: Behemoth (lol)
    Processor: i7 975 oc 4,0ghz
    Motherboard: P6t deluxe v2
    Cooling: swiftech h20-220-APEX Ultima Plus
    Memory: 6gb A-Data 1600mhz no oc
    Video Card: 2 x gtx295
    Harddisk: 2x 300 raptors (no raid) 1 1tb all WD
    CD/DVD Drive: Buffalo Blu-Ray Re/Wr
    CRT/LCD Model: asus 24 wide
    Case: HAF 932
    PSU: 1500W Toughpower
    Software: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Benchmarks: Millions......

how much you want for that troublesome POS????

9. samijokipuu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Too much, long store short getting ''windows file has been corrupted or missing'' everytime i boot, took it to the store, they said that the mobo was corrupting sumthing and the cpu was slowly dying cuz of the voltage and the only way they managed to install anything or even boot it was to take out 2 of the 3 ram sticks, then they switched the mobo and cpu and gave it back, then it was fine for a week then got the infamous ''overclocking has failed'' then got ''cpu fan error'' then got ''6gb of ram (3.99 usable)'', if i dont reboot EVER then it will be fine, when i had my old pc that had a dual core and p5b mobo and 8800gts i literally didnt have any problems EVER, 2 years i had that rig, the only thing that broke was a seagate hdd.

10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Can't you get your parts replaced? They are all under warranty.

11. samijokipuu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Out of the 9 months that i've had it's been in the shop for 5 weeks, and to DRDNA yea that\s mah rig,

12. Play3r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cpu: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
    Mobo: Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
    GPU: 2x Sapphire Radeon HD5970 2GB
    PSU: Enermax Revolution85+ SLI 1250W
    RAM: Corsair Dominator GT PC3-16000 C8 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3

13. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:

like where in the heck will he find two of thoughs?

14. Play3r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Australia :D

15. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    how about u leave ur system at stock ,it will still be faster then amd, maybe it will do fine , try just 1 video card too with only 1 300gb hdd ,, see if that works? maybe its a diffective PSU thats having a hard time supplying everything with power

16. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    TBH, man - I'd recommend wiping a HDD and re-installing WIN first . . . something just doesn't sound right about your situation . . .

Now, the rig in your specs - is that the exact hardware that came with the rig? If you've changed out the mobo since you bought the rig, you need to re-install WIN no matter what.

I'd recommend starting from a clean slate. Get hold of the most recent drivers for your hardware, and don't forget the chipset drivers! Install WIN, then install your chipset drivers before anything else.

17. samijokipuu New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've reinstalled windows, and i always get the latest drivers for everything.

18. Weer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then either you know nothing about hardware and get errors because you built the damn thing wrong.

Or your're cursed like I was when I built the 'best machine that could possibly be' all the way back two years ago. First, it wouldn't boot and there was no signal. Then I replaced the two G92's around and managed to get something on the screen. I installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit and pretty much everything ran like shit. So, I tried to overclock my CPU. But no, my 680i SLi A1 board couldn't handle anything above 3.0Ghz. Even at stock, I got the damn 'nvddmkm has crashed' errors every 5 seconds and when gaming every 1 second. Basically, nothing I EVER did with that computer went right. So, for half a year now I've had it running Windows 7 and at 2.4Ghz stock - works like a charm for the most part.

I KNOW what you feel right now is "take that pos back and gain your faith back in PC's again".. but there has to be a reason why what happened to me happened to you (allegedly). And you can find it. I'm sure. Although, I wish I could be more reassuring.

19. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    if your having that many problems out of it then yea i would def take it back and get your money back. If you can do it then build your own with a good motherboard and a I7 920 D0

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. samijokipuu New Member

Thanks Received:
    To Weer, "take that pos back and gain your faith back in PC's again" exactly what i'm thinking, i figured i would buy the best pc and then i wouldnt have to do anything for a couple of years, and i'm cursed as u said, i treat this pc like a sore pussy, but i didnt build it mahself (i know i know), and that's exactly why i'm so frustrated, i had them assemble it for exactly this reason, so that it would be perfect, so nothing could possibly go wrong.

21. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    have you tried putting the cpu speed back to default to see how it runs?? i for one think you should keep to that rig its a beast...i would love to have that rig T_T

22. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    hmm... (plays with sunglasses horacio style)
    the problem most people get when buying high end pc´s is that they are VERY temperamental, memory timmings, power fluctuations, temperature, small things can snowball very quickly,

1)do you have any electrical problems at home ? usual signs are that appliances have a short lifespan or damage easly, lights dim momentarly when you turn on specific things like A/C units or TV, i had a friend whos computers use to last around 3-4 months each, in the end it was a crappy electrical installation in his home, a 60 buck investment in a APC battery protected power strip solved his problems,

2) have you read correctly the specifications of your ram and CPU regarding voltages and timmings ? check that your ram is running at required voltage and timmings, if you dont trust bios voltages, you can always use a multimeter, try relaxing them if needed

3) a faulty psu can be a bitch (if you excuse my french) use a multimeter or a PSU testing unit (they cost around 30 bucks and they test that your psu is giving the correct voltages) to make sure your PSU is pushing stable and correct voltages, i still remember when my PSU killed my 9800PRO (ATI), apparently 12,9v on the 12v rail can be somewhat dangerus

4) have you done OS independent testing ? get a copy of ultimate boot CD, its free and GPL, http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ it lets you check the stability of your cpu, motherboard and ram running OS indpendent tasks by booting in to its own linux or dos (tool dependent) based bootdisk,

5) have you done piece by piece testing ? as in removing everything except 1 stick of ram, psu, cpu and graphics card, you do point 4 again and if its stable, you start adding components untill you find the offending part,

samijokipuu says thanks.
  23. samijokipuu New Member

Thanks Received:
  24. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    My intention was not to insult you or cause problems, thats my usual diagnostics process when i have a problem,

also
    1) you should really do OS independent testing
    2) surge protectors only remove spikes, they dont do anything about fluctuations,

25. samijokipuu New Member

Thanks Received:
    HAahaham, yhappy nwe years motherfujcers, wyah ijamma do thart OSD Testeing -once i get rid ofi thisd oeingdi hjangiver hahahaah,lpolllllllllllll.