1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Going Nehalem worth it??

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by EnergyFX, Aug 24, 2008.

1. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Any scoops on what these new Nehalem socket MBs are going to cost? I'm bidding on a Striker Extreme II but it has me wondering if it would be better to just wait it out a year or so for Nehalem to settle into stable specs.

I dunno, I'm a bit torn here. Part of me wants to go Nehalem cause it'll be the new hot ticket, but the other part of me is apprehensive that it'll be nothing but a headache for the first year or so.
  2. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They are going to be high priced for the first year or so. Not to mention they will need to work out the bugs.
  3. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I too reckon its worth waiting for a while on nehelem,unless you are loaded then bugger it,why not.
  4. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't mind splurging the cash, but not if I end up not being able to run half of my software and my other hardware locks up and/or doesn't run right.
  5. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    This is the risk you run when spending money on ANYTHING at launch.

I'm looking forward to Nehalem so I can catch some good deals from those selling to get to Nehalem.:)
  6. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    I'm personally gonna wait for the 32nm die shrink of Nehalem or see what AMD's offering in a couple of years time. I think it's gonna be VERY expensive to jump aboard the Nehalem express so early, £150+ for 3Gb DDR3 RAM, probably £200-300 for the CPU, £200 for a good mobo, plus extra for a CPU cooler and whatever else.
  7. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    screw, I hope AMD brings this Fusion shit out and it actually owns Nehalem, that would be cool
  8. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=318315

Looks like I (and a lot of overclockers) may not be going for Nehalem after all if this is true. They've decided to disable overclocking on their cheaper CPUs thus forcing you to buy a $1000 CPU for an unlocked multiplier!

What a shame :shadedshu
  9. newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Well, given what the whole architecture brings to the table, and the fact that the chips will be faster than anything to date, why would you need unlocked multiplier? And how is that pricing much different than previous unlocked chips, especially the QXs???

I rarely go after something hot on the market right out the gate, but I've been waiting for Nehalem for two years, and I will be decking out a whole new system. And if the chips come out later on that are revised or simply 'better' then I can swap one; but the motherboards won't need to change for a while, that architecture is true full proof, it's a entirely new step. Your RAM won't need to be changed, and your GPU is irrelevant at this stage.
  10. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like I'm getting AMD next year again. Yay! :D
  11. kyle2020 Guest

dont forget the lack of apps that can actually support that many threads . . .
  12. blueskynis

blueskynis New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's Intel ;)
  13. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    For gaming, no, Nehalem isn't worth it.
  14. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yay I can justify getting an AMD processor again.
  15. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ouch intel shot themselves in the foot
  16. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Eh, I'm not too worried here...

The 1336 chips could be a short run unless they change this, but they are not released yet so we will have to wait and see.
  17. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    go for nehalem the fastest cpu in our solar system :)
  18. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    For CPU-intensive & memory apps Nehalem is naturally better. But for 3D it makes no difference.
    Keep in mind if you want to OC Nehalem par to your Wolfdale you're going to have to get one with unlocked multi.
  19. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    That article doesn't say that OCing is locked on Nehalem. It just says the multi is locked on non-extreme chips, and raising the reference clock is not recommended.

Well DUH!!! They recommend not raising the reference clock on the current chips as well. It's just a way to cover their asses.
  20. From_Nowhere New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nehalem will be worth it a few months after launch. That way all the bugs with the chips and boards will be known/solved and the prices will be low.
  21. blueskynis

blueskynis New Member

Thanks Received:
    From: http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-6208-view-Low-end-Bloomfield-will-not-clock-well.html

22. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well that sounds disclaimerishly (yes I made that up) similar to intel's current stance on CPU overclocking.

Blah blah blah the processor shouldn't be clocked above stock design blah blah blah may cause problems blah blah blah we don't recommend doing it blah blah blah buy the expensive one

edit: blah
  23. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
  24. nafets New Member

Thanks Received:
    Get the best you can afford now, rather than waiting, and wondering, and hoping.

You'll be a happier PC user/gamer that way, rather than a frustrated upgradeaholic.

With PC's there will always be something better/faster/newer...
  25. qamulek

qamulek New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 to that :toast:

I recently *had* to buy a new processor since my old motherboard/cpu went to the grave. I couldn't wait for nehalem even though it was just around the corner, but TBH I'm really not that excited about the nehalem processors now that I have my current rig. For me there is no point to upgrade until ddr3 prices are mainstream AND I care about more processing muscle. I for one hope that by the time that I need to upgrade that directX 11 will diminish the need for more and more cpu processing power while playing games.