1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Going wireless, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by acperience7, Jul 17, 2008.

1. acperience7

Thanks Received:
    My mom just got a wireless N router for my sisters new laptop and I am looking for suggestions on security and monitoring programs. These are the ones I just downloaded:

Questions:
    1. I also have PeerGuardian 2 and keep it updated, but will that really help in securing my network?
    2. I use PortMonster, Comodo, and the XP firewall; Will they likely be the cause of future troubles? I have seen lots of people around the net that have random problems with them.
    3. My wired connection is by way of Charter Communications. My connection is randomly interrupted and all communication gets cut off. I have no idea what's wrong, and neither does Charter. I have the original modem Charter gave us if that helps and this problem has been happening for years, but it started about year and a half or two years after we got their service. If anyone has an idea please post it, as this has gotten very annoying.

2. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    no program on your pc behind your router can make up for having bad software on your router, i suggest openWRT + X-Wrt

that failing, DD-WRT

acperience7 says thanks.
  3. iamajunky

iamajunky

Thanks Received:
    just use your router to do that stuff and prevent possible adware/spyware

acperience7 says thanks.