1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gold plating the D-Tek FuZion

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by EnergyFX, Jan 10, 2008.

1. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just wondering if anyone else out there had tried this. I need to do it since I have aluminum in my cooling circuit. I'm not sure if I should go for electroplating (which my fiance can do at work for free) or send it off to be dipped.

Any ideas or suggestions?
  2. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, if it's free, then why not?

Btw, what's made of aluminum in your loop?
  3. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Radiators and HDD coolers are exposed aluminum. I'm very happy with my setup with the exception of the CPU-330 cooler. It's nice and pretty and does the job but it is by no means a high performance CPU block.

I've been doing some research and it appears that to gold plate copper and take full advantage of corrosion protection there is more to it than simply plating it. One place recommended nonelectrolosis nickel plating as a base and then gold on top of that. Supposedly the Gold will absorb some of the surface particles of the copper and lose some of its anti-corrosive benefits. If that is the case then having my fiance do it will not yield the results I need. Free or not, what's the point if it fails.

With all that said, I am shopping around for the best deal on nickel plating only. There is no purpose for the gold if the nickel serves the anti-corrosion needs.

BTW, Koolance was not very helpful when I contacted them. I got the "our process is confidential" BS. :banghead::slap: All I wanted to know was what Karat plating they use and if there was anything specific I should know while seeking a company to do the plating (ie: nickel base plate needed or not... I doubt they put a nickel base plate on their blocks before they gold plate them, so I am left wondering if it is necessary or not). Jerks, I've spent a LOT of money with them and deserve more than to be blown off.
  4. driver66

driver66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dont forget that gold Au , is a better conductor than nickel Ni :D
  5. TUngsten

TUngsten New Member

Thanks Received:
    standard gold plating is always 24k
    EnergyFX says thanks.
  6. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:

Yes, but how much of a difference does it really make when you are talking about a thickness layer in the microns?

I would prefer to go with gold for that reason though. I'm wondering if the reduced anti-corrosion issue of direct gold plating onto copper is really anything to worry about. There is also the fact that the coolant has anti-corrosives in it.
  7. TUngsten

TUngsten New Member

Thanks Received:
    Typically, the nickel pre-plating is done over copper to provide a more stable oxidation-resistant layer for the gold to bond with. Many also believe that the bright white layer of nickel results in a brighter 24k plating as well.

You're right that the gold is a better conductor, but we're talking about heat transfer, not electrical conductivity here. The thickness of the nickel flash plate would have no effect on the cooling capacity of the block.
  8. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Terry, you sound like you have a bit of knowledge in this arena. Thank you for your assistance.

So my theory that plating layer will have an indiscernible effect on the blocks cooling properties is correct in your opinion? If that is the case then I see no reason to go with gold plating. Nickel plating only should do the trick.
  9. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    FYI... it appears Koolance is moving away from gold and using nickel now. Their newest line of products are all nickel plated.
  10. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought silver was the best?
  11. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:

It is, but I think the question to ask is can you plate copper with silver and have it be durable enough to serve as a neutral metal?

I don't know the answer.

In any case, the plated layer is so thin that it really doesn't interfere with the thermal transfer rate. I doubt you would see much of a measurable difference between using a bare copper block vs. a block plated in nickel, gold, or silver.