1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gone Dark Side

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by 1Kurgan1, Mar 2, 2012.

1. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Well I had someone interested in my current rig and taxes landed, so I decided to upgrade. The last Intel setup I ran was a dual cu 486 dx setup :laugh: so it's been a while. With my 1055T running at 3.7ghz 24/7 upgrading to anything on the AMD side wouldn't have really been much of an upgrade, so my only option was to go Intel.

I was going to pick up a 2700k since they are $340 (only $10 more than a 2600k on Newegg), but then I ended up finding a NIB 2600k for $240 so I had to bite on that deal. Followed that up with a 7970 that I got for $500 and a EK Full Cover Block for it. then a AsRock Fatal1ty Pro and 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM. And found a killer deal on a Enermax Galaxy 1250w (only $180). Rounding the rest off by finishing my dual 1/2" WC loops. Just going to run it outside of a case for now, this gives me motivation to finish up my HAF 922 build and get this beasty build in it's new home. I can't wait for it all to show up!
  2. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    I can haz 1055t? :D
  3. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    Now you just need a nice SSD for that Sandy bridge
  4. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    :p Nah it's being sold to my friend in his build.

SSD's don't have the size for my Steam folder :p Thats why I went 2x WD 750 Black Editions in RAID0, I might pick up another for RAID5 just so I have some security on my files.
  5. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    are you sure? the Octane from OCZ goes upto 1TB :)
  6. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    mjkmike says thanks.
  7. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Not enough for me, and I think 1Kurgan1 has just as many games in STEAM as I do.

[​IMG]

However, the SSD is still a good idea...it can used as a cache drive for the STEAM drive, and improve loading times for the most commonly used games, provided taht it's the Z68 board he got.

Attached Files:

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  8. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Problem with that is the parts (besides my WC upgrades ) came to about $1300, that 1 SSD is as expensive as 75% of my build. My RAIDs good enough, and like Dave said, even 1TB isn't quite enough.
  9. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just keep the 2 games im playing at the time on my SSD, and move the rest to my storage drive

I was creating symbolic links, but im terrible at remembering how to do these things, so use steamtool instead, games run fine from the storage drive, and dont seem to have any problem updating etc.

Steamtool: http://www.stefanjones.ca/steam/
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    MT Alex says thanks.
  10. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Yet another satisfied Intel customer! Saying good by to AMD for the real deal!
  11. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Don't troll in my thread please. I'm not upgrading out of necessity, I play everything maxed as it is. This will just play at higher fps, I upgrade because I'm a junky.
    SaiZo and mjkmike say thanks.
  12. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Pssst single loop is actually better and will save you come cash. Images are gone but you can still get the facts. Testing by Gabe of Swiftech (who has an obvious interest in selling more parts too). Seems to go against common sense but there it is. At least if not running like 3 GPUs.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?254683-Dual-Loop-versus-Single-the-facts

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  13. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I could do a single loop as well, it really doesn't matter. I have a dual bay res, MCW355, and MCW350 (I already collected most of this long ago). I don't have a soldering gun, so I don't think I can turn the 350 into a 355, so the slower pump might cause a restriction in the loop. So thats why I chose to run dual loops, I don't know if a single MCW355 could push through everything that I plan to get into the loop. Either way, I'm in a basement in Minnesota, I honestly don't expect much higher than ambient on the CPU anyways, dual or single loop I doubt it would get any better, and if it did, maybe by 1 - 2 C, which is negligible to me.
  14. trickson

Thanks Received:
    LOL. Junky. I am too. ;)
  15. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    You could put two pumps in the one loop to increase flow as well as provide the "redundancy" mentioned in case one pump goes tits up while computer in use. Two rads for further cooling ability as well if you find it may help in your situation.

Hey Trickson your custom title could be "Junkie"! lol
  16. trickson

Thanks Received:
    LOL. Intel junkie.

I have one pump 2 rads. I love it. very cool. Adding 2 pumps might be a bit overkill IMHO. One good pump will do the job fine.

May I ask why you titled this thread "Gone Dark Side", Sounds like a bit of a dig at Intel, Like AMD is the angels and Intel is the Devil.
  17. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not for dual loops! ;)
    trickson says thanks.
  18. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Oh well yeah if you are going dual loop then you would need 2 pumps. :respect:
  19. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I use a Corsair Force 3 120GB for OS/Programs, and a 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green for my Steam/Storage (about 800GB is used for Steam). All I did was install Steam on my hard disk, since many games seem to see no noticeable benefits from SSDs. Sure, my Steam doesn't load that fast, but considering how fast everything else is on my computer I am glad I got the SSD.

Keep your storage disk nicely defragged and optimized, and the setup works fine. In fact, my games seem to load faster than they did when Windows 7 was installed on the same disk for some reason.
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  20. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Thats exactly why it's named that. But has nothing to do with me pushing my opinion on anyone else. I been running AMD for a long time, and Intel has always been the "Dark Side" to me. But since I got the upgrade itch and I was at top rung of the AMD food chain, was time to try something new. I always have favored AMD, but I don't consider myself a fanboy, and am willing to try other camps out.

Maybe in the future I'll pick up a SSD, doubtful on it being this year though, this was a hefty investment for the year and a good performance upgrade. My load times with the RAID setup are good enough to keep me happy. But a SSD for W7 and RAID for my games would probably be even better.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  21. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Intel is called "The Dark Side" more to due to their size, worth and market share compared to AMD more than anything else. You know, the big behemoth vs the little guy and the former is always "evil" and "anti-consumer". Kinda like Microsoft vs. Apple...oh wait. :)
  22. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Well today I was planning to clean my keyboard, I unplugged it, but the cables were caught. I gave it a tug, and some how one of my WD 750 Blacks thats like 4 ft away on the other side of the desk decided to fall and smack the ground while running :/ So that died, so RAIDS gone :( And since that happened it just committed me more to this build, so I pulled the trigger on a Samsung 470 Series 128gb SSD and 2x Hitachi 1TB 32MB Cache Sata 3 HDD's. So going to run W7 and such off the SSD and use the 2x Hitachi's in RAID0 to hold Steam and everything else. Didn't really want to spend that money, but it does round off the build nicely I guess.
  23. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I have 3 towers at work for my folding/crunching farm (2 mid towers and an ITX shoebox style case) stacked on top of each other. The ITX box has the cover removed and a 120mm fan that just sits on top of it over the video card. Today, my new GTX 460 folding card and 2 new 80 Plus Gold power supplies were awaiting installation, so I shut off the towers, pulled them one by one to install the stuff, and put the 2 mid towers back in the stack. I left my ITX system plugged in and running on the desk, so several hours later I decided to put that machine back on the stack, and one wrong move sent the 120mm fan flying and it nailed the power switch on the strip, shutting off all my folders.

Not as bad as your HDD falling and dying, but my biggest rig wouldn't POST the first time I restored power to it, so I was scared until it came back to life. :ohwell:

Enjoy the SSD. I'm a SandForce guy, but nearly any SSD should offer improvements in Windows. :rockout:
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  24. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I don't know a ton about SSD's, I did a bit of reading, looked up some reviews and it seemed the Samsung 470's were one of the better SSD's out there, and I found it for only $120, so a good deal. Also snagged the HDD's for $70 a pop, I think they are $130 on Newegg.
  25. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a sweet deal, hope all goes well with your new drives. :D