1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

good enough psu

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Arrin, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Arrin New Member

Thanks Received:
    i was wondering if a 550w corsair txm psu would be enough for a core i5 and 7850/gtx 660? both cpu and gpu will be oc'ed if that matters

also if that would be fine, would it support crossfire in the future? (this is mainly theoretical but would be nice to know if i could)

also what's the diffrence between tx, txm, gs, and the cx series in the corsair line? cx series is cheaper for more watts of power and the same 12v rail

2. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    You will be fine. CX series uses probably cheaper components and less amps on the 12v rail.

3. Ziquester

Ziquester New Member

Thanks Received:
    Without having to start another thread.

Would a Coolmaster Extreme Powerplus 460W be enough for a INTEL i7-920 with standard heatsink and an old Nvidia 8500GT GPU? Will also be running a SSD and a Raptor and an optical drive.
    I plan to get a better and newer GPU later on.
    Thanks.

4. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it will Ziq.

Ziquester says thanks.
  5. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
    That PSU is good enough for now, but if you get a better/newer GPU later, anything above say a GTX 650 Ti (110W TDP) or a HD7770 (80W TDP), you may have to consider getting a more powerful PSU. Maybe it might be best to consider spending a few more coins on something you won't have to replace later. That is, of course, if the GPU you plan to get later requires more power than that PSU can offer (12V rail wattage and ampere is most important).

6. Ziquester

Ziquester New Member

Thanks Received:

Thanks Phusius,I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy any more parts for my newish build.

Oh Naito,the GPU I'll be using is off my old system so I am taking the power supply and GPU from the old system for the time being,till I can financially afford to buy newer gear.I'll be selling my old Core 2 Duo computer to get some money to buy the other parts but I'd need a running PC when its sold.

7. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Your PSU will be fine with a higher end card with no problems.

Ziquester says thanks.
  8. Ziquester

Ziquester New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks,i'll leave that for last then,next part to buy will be a GPU then.
    I'll be building another computer with the i7 and it sure looks harder! Definately I'll need the help I can get here.After doing so much research and going from the simple Core 2 Duo to the i7,it's so much to soak in.There's a lot I am still learning. But what a adventure its gonna be!

9. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Why recommend a Coolermaster, I just don't understand? Get Corsairs, Seasonics, Silverstones, I've seen systems burnt out by Coolermaster psus...
    Don't buy junk psus, it will save you a lot of money in the end....

10. Ziquester

Ziquester New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its not recommended.I already have it so I might as well use it in the meantime.Those other PSU's you mentioned are harder to come by in NZ and if they are,they are bloody expensive here.I had to buy my MB from ebay as the price was double here.
    Today is the first time I have heard of the Seasonic PSU,looks good and I might look to get one from overseas as well.