1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

good fans

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by tek33, Dec 29, 2008.

1. tek33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey i'm looking for a recomendation for good cooling fans .i am going to replace all stock fans in my cosmos 1000 case .
  2. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    are you looking for LED or UV or non-LED?
  4. apheX?

apheX? New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im looking for some red led ones but all i can find is ASAKA :( this is in the UK
    I look on US websites and they have like antec tri cool and other propper ones. Im stuck with the basic ones.

But if your after a normal fan Noctua is your best bet for CFM/Noise Level
  5. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    red LED, huh? Well, my top pick would be Thermaltake Thunderblade:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999138

These have one of the best CFM to noise ratios out of all the LED fans. I have 6 in my machine right now.

SilenX Ixtrema is second choice for CFM to noise ratio:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ge=product_info&cPath=36_69&products_id=22922

Zalman third choice:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=199

I found out that the non-LED version (ZM-MF3) has a CFM of 72 at top speed, so it can be assumed that the LED one is also has something around that and this would put it in line with other similar LED fans.

Antec Tricool 4th choice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209013

There is also Logisys but they are noisy:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ge=product_info&cPath=36_69&products_id=20905

There are also no brand LED fans too but only as last resort.

If sticking with non-LED, Scythe S-Flex are great as HolyCow said. They also have Slipstream and very high CFM Ultra Kaze but they are noisy. Noctua are great but very expensive, just like their CPU coolers. Cant go wrong with Silverstone FM and some Yate Loon and Cooler Master models. Also, Thermaltake, Antec and SilenX make non-LED versions of the fans i recomended above. For ultra high CFM (110+) get Delta.

EDIT: I edited the ratings for the LED fans a bit.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
    WarEagleAU, apheX? and MKmods say thanks.
  6. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 on Scythe S-Flex's. But I would recommend u the SFF12E or SFF12F ones.
  7. apheX?

apheX? New Member

Thanks Received:
    The reviews on new egg say there really loud :twitch: You think its quiet once rpm is turned down?
  8. King Wookie

King Wookie New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been using the Zalmans for some time, and they are not too loud on full. Also, they do come with resistor cables to quieten them down, and the leds don't vanish if you undervolt.

If you can live without the leds, the Scythe S-Flex are the most recommended. The Noctuas are good, but expensive.
  9. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont know which fans you are referring to as i recomend a whole bunch.

do you happen to have any info on Zalman LED fans? Like whats the RPM, CFM, dbA? I remember looking at them in online stores but they dont provide this info, may be its on the box?
  10. King Wookie

King Wookie New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's virtually no good stats from Zalman, but this review should tell you lots:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=170224

I have read somewhere they are rated at 88cfm, and for other info check
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=20316
  11. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Those SilenXs are awesome and quiet as are the Scythes. They may be a tad cheaper on the Egg though. There's another I was thinking about but I forgot what it was..
  12. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    thnx :)

but it just occured to me to look at their site (duh!) and there we have the following info: 1000-1800 RPM, 20-32dbA. But no info on CFM, somehow i doubt its 88CFM though. All in all 32dbA is a tad loud for my taste (though they can be quited down) but if noise isnt an issue then feel free to try them. So it seems that on full speed Zalmans are a bit louder than Antec Tricool at full speed. I think i should've placed SilenX in the second place and Tricool in third as the SilenX has better CFM/noise ratio but its not 14dbA for those who are wondering, its higher but they are still pretty quiet.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  13. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Ahh that chart answers it, those are all nice fans. Noise isnt too bad unless its unGodly loud.
  14. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Noctua are the best, but are beige+brown and expensive, they are very quiet, but if you dont care about noise, i dont know any recomendations
  15. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use 2 Scythe S-Flex 1600rpm fans to cool my quad core. They push a good amount of air.
  16. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    I forgot to add Panaflo, these server grade, high CFM fans are excellent. So its another alternative for those considering Delta fans but they are not as powerful as far i remember.
  17. apheX?

apheX? New Member

Thanks Received:
    The TT Thunderblade ones
  18. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    get some yate-loons they are nice i have about 10 of them some red LED low speed ones and a bunch of black mediums and highs
  19. kyle2020 Guest

I just got 2 yate loon mediums and i am NOT impressed with them, they make a rumbling noise as they run and are far from the DB rating they say on the site. :shadedshu

And no, its not vibrations from anything else, its the fans themselves. Im extremely dissapointed after hearing nothing but good about yate loon fans.

Can anyone recommend any extremely quiet fans that still have a decent ammount of CFM for a 24cm rad?
  20. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    sounds lie you got some bad fans?

mine are dynex (yate loon OEM) and they are great
  21. kyle2020 Guest

2 bad fans in one go? im upset with them big time :(
  22. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i have 8 going right now (5 mediums and 3 highs) and they are running fine no funny noises
  23. kyle2020 Guest

im trying to think how to explain the noise - my other coolermaster fans are silent, i mean completely, but the run at the same RPM as the coolermaster ones but with like a rumbling tick sound, that gets louder as they go along.

Any recommendations for silent fans?
  24. King Wookie

King Wookie New Member

Thanks Received:
    I replaced the tricools that came with my old P180 case with the Zalmans, and the Zalmans are most definitely quieter, for about the same airflow.

I'm now running Noctuas on a fan controller, and they are really quiet. Don't waste your time with the S-1200's, as the P-12 is only a few dB louder and doesn't panic with restrictions.
  25. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    reviews there are overall positive. But what you have to understand is that noise is quite subjective, what some people consider loud others will. The thunderblade fans have among the highest CFM airflow among LED fans yet rated only 21dbA. From my experience i would say that that rating is a bit overstated and the dbA is a bit higher. But still its pretty darn good. If you want even quiter but somewhat lower CFM try the SilenX Ixtrema. I personally found the Thunderblades pretty quiet, i can hear em but its not annoying just sounds like usual PC noise. I cant stand silent PCs and like my machine to make a little bit of noise. So if you are extremely noise sensitive you may find the Thunderblades bothersome if you are anything like me you'll be fine.

i also found the Antecs a bit annoying, my friend has 5 of em. But just looking at the rating they have a bit lower dba than Zalmans and since i have no experience with the latter i assumed the Antecs were quiter.