1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Good gaming laptop suggestions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Darkleoco, May 5, 2012.

1. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Better get used to writing your notes in lectures then, even the most subborn ones gave up after a month of lugging their gaming laptop around :p

As for the ability to charge during lectures, that depends on individual lecture halls. The lecture hall I primarily use is quite oldschool, and no ability to charge. You will have to check individual lecture halls in the uni you are planning to go.

Plugging in during lunch should be easy, especially in libraries.

2. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith

Thanks Received:
    What about OriginPC's. Some guys from Alienware made their own brand with that. The 15 inch model has a 1080p screen.

3. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I havent n then again i keep it dust free n the chassis has 3 fans vs no fans.

So that must mean they bought crap models or never kept them clean or cooled. Point is moot.

The Op needs a netbook to do school work on. N honestly id keep work n play separate cuz if youre tempted to game in middle of a lecture you might verywell miss details on your next project or paper.

4. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    The school I'm going to is pretty modern with fairly new facilities so I think I could find a way to charge if I needed it.

I linked above one of the OriginPC's I was looking at.

Sadly I cant use a netbook at all lol they are too small for me to even type on simply because one of my hands is the size of the whole keyboard :laugh:
    Also I am spending enough on college that keeping work and play separate is going to be no trouble, I'm not so gaming obsessed that I would make my education suffer for it.

5. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, yes that is the battery life while I am gaming. When at the desktop or even doing some of my light CAD stuff, I get about an hour and a half before upgrading it. After I upgraded it, it went down to about 35 mins.

Keep in mind though, I have a 55W CPU on something only made for 45W and a 100W GPU when there was a 75W in there.

I got mine with the intent it was going to be a mobile workstation and need to have an outlet nearby.

You can get something with an i5 and a mid range graphics adapter that can go for about 2-3 hours.

My generation is before Sandy Bridge, so you will get much better battery life even with an i7 than I currently do. I also do not have any temperature issues. My CPU will go as high as 70C when gaming and my GPU will hit about 85C. If I use my cooler with it, I get about a 6C drop across the board.

I would highly just take a look at XoticPC and look at their offerings. They do MSI, ASUS, Sager, and have an in house brand.

I bounced back and forth between what I have now and the EON-15. I liked the user support forums and the fact I can call someone directly at XoticPC. Justin is the owner and it's good to be able to get ahold of a person like that should you need to.

www.xoticpc.com

Just like that system I posted a few posts back, it started at like $1200 and I added to it. The prices are good and you might be surprised at their customer service.

6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Mobile workstations are easier to carry than desktop but for max throughput u gotta have a wallwart

7. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
    if you wanna change videocard and add more ram ecc eurocom is very good where is the problem?

8. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    The problem is eurocom has horrible prices for what they offer, maybe the prices are better in other countries idk but for the U.S. they have horrendous pricing for the specs they offer.

9. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
  10. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I got a site to have you look at..

Avadirect

May help you in the search.

11. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
  12. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
    on the site if you look one of the 3 models the price is 1256€ is 1643 $ , if in the us this price is higher thank trash money in alienware notebook i dont understand xd

13. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I love microcenter:

Got a laptop on sale for $1000. It had:

i7
    8gb DDR3
    2x500GB RAID-0
    HD6850
    Blu-ray
    3D 1080p Screen
    Beats Audio (not entirely sure if this is good or bad. It does have the best sound of any laptop I ahve heard so far.)

14. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    I was mostly checking out their panther 4.0 because its specs were the most similar to models I was eyeing from Asus,MSI,Origin and other manufacturers, the prices just weren't competitive enough from eurocom most of their customization options were horribly overpriced in comparison anyway and thats even on lesser models :eek:

15. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Do you really want to lug around a heavy gaming laptop from class to class? At that budget buy a basic laptop for class and build a gaming rig for your off hours.

16. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    I already have an epic gaming rig its just way too large to be practical to take to college. And I'm already used to a nearly 10 pound gaming laptop I have from 2009.

17. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Trust me, you'll feel differently after a few weeks going building to building. It's your back, I guess.

18. chr0nos

chr0nos

Thanks Received:
    Avoid Optimus like the plague

too many problems...

I have a GT555M on a Lenovo Y570, not a great gaming lap but does the work, can't play on a TV via HDMI because everything passes like this:

game -> GT555m -> HD3000 -> TV creating a horrible lag between input and reaction on screen

19. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    If thats the only problem I'd be more than happy lol if I want to play on a tv via hdmi I would just use my desktop though I prefer my monitor anyway and all that laptops I'm looking at getting are 15.6-17.3 inch screens so it wouldn't be a big deal anyway and I'm not bringing my 32 inch tv with me to college anyway lol

I'm used to carrying heavy crap around lol the end of my junior year my backpack was nearly 40 pounds with all the damn books I had to carry :/

20. chr0nos

chr0nos

Thanks Received:
    thats just the tip of the mountain my friend :p

i suggest you do a check on optimus technology if you think on getting a laptop with it

21. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Guess its time to do that then, thankfully for not too much more than the nvidia gpu i was looking at I can just put a 7970m in instead if the problems with optimus are too severe.

22. Extremes

Extremes New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey buddy ! i suggest you this one :)
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/21/asus-g55vw-gaming-laptop/ :toast:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-G55VW-DS71-intel-Ivy_Bridge-Gaming_Laptop,15394.html :toast:
    i used 17'' version :rockout: or Dell XPS 15 / XPS 17

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  23. whitrzac New Member

Thanks Received:
    anther thing to look into is the business class laptops... They will cost more but much less 'flashy' , usually lighter and built better.

I carry my 10lb m6600 everywhere I go, included classes... I have the m8900(ATI 6970m) and i5 2520 and it will play BF at mid/high settings(900p)

You can't beat dell's warranty on business laptops ether. They come with 3 year NBD coverage. I highly recommend spending the extra $200ish on accidental coverage for 3 years also...

24. acepwnsyou

Thanks Received:
    i have the toshiba qosmio x505-870
    it is essentially a desktop replacement. great laptop, but i got bad customer support in my case. i hear asus is great!