1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Good Home Workouts?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Reventon, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can anyone give me some links that can help me on finding a nice home workout with minimal equipment? I want to workout but I'm not always in the mood for going to the gym so something that I can do at home with basic equipment or no equipment would be nice to do. I want to tone my upper body more so than my lower body, as I already have strong legs from because I play soccer (football). Also want to shed a few pound maybe, about 5 or so. Anything efficient enough to notice results within about 5 months or so?
  2. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    wake up and do a set of pushups. Brush your teeth, shave, do a set of pushups. Eat breakfast, do a set of pushups. Take a shower. I like sets of 25 or 30 depending on my mood. That plus the bike ride to the bus stop really wakes me up in the morning.
  3. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Pilates, Yoga, and Chi Gung are my favorites.
  4. Morrison5891

Morrison5891 New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget the good ol' crunches for rock hard abs.:) Burpees are a good all around workout.
  6. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    www.gymtechnik.com

Has a custom calendar can even customize with a set of exercises that they have or make your own.

I would definitely recommend the Perfect push-up, and the Perfect Pull-up. They are BOTH AWESOME and relatively cheap. And good for in home stuff. Also a good heavy bag/speed bag or Kettle bells, both will break your balls and get you sweating.

If you need a diet plan, (Or anyone for that matter) hit me up in a PM, I can get you guys one made for free.
  7. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, thanks guys. I just started my initial plan yesterday. I just do 100 pushups and about 150 or so crunches daily. All in sets of course though. Like maybe I'm waiting for the computer to turn on and I'll just do 10 pushups and 20 crunches. Not really how much of a result is going to show but it's better than 0 pushups and 0 crunches.

I also want to get a pullup bar for my room door so that I can force myself to do like 5 pullups everytime I pass through the door.

As for a diet... I don't think that's going to happen :D
  8. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Go to wal-mart and get a "Perfect Pushup" Jesus that thing will WORK YOU. I can do 50 push ups straight easy enough, with these, maybe 20. Hindu pushups are also great for working the entire upper body and back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcW61Bb8uOo
  9. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    If you're not doing any before this, you'll see results quickly. Your arms will define first, next your stomach and then chest somewhat (doing pushups and stomach curls). Get some dumbells / barbells as they're great for arm curls. Oh, and you might think of doing 2 days on, 1 day off kind of deal. If you don't rest in between it can be very bad. People who get ripped quickly usually do an arms / legs / core regiment (over 3 days) then repeat. On the 7th day you can rest, or do some cardio or something.
  10. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah. I haven't been working out at all. And my soccer season ended a little bit back, so recently I haven't been up to much except occasionally camping (which actually gives a good workout, lifting logs, hunting).

I think maybe 3 days on 1 day off would be good. I think I already have some old barbells but they are only like 2 pounds so they wouldn't do me any good. I think my mom has some 5 pound ones but that's not much either. I'm thinking 10 pounds would be good. I have time to run but with the way the weather will be for the next 6 or 7 months it will be miserable. It's going to be 88 or so the whole next week and so on with high humidity always (it's Florida...).
  11. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Weighted dips and pull ups!

ruck sack full of water bottles : ]
  12. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Like I said before I'm trying to get a pullup bar for my door frame. 5 pullups when leaving or entering my room, would that do any good?
  13. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Try these too, they're fun.
  14. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Get the Iron Gym; no install required and works as a crunch bar too. Can be used for deeper pushups as well.
  15. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll talk to my dad about it. I'm sure my dad would encourage my personal physical fitness so maybe he'd pay for it. Granted the gym is right down the street when I'm at his house, but when I'm at my mom's it's different.
  16. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Doing random pull ups ( and exercise in general) is called grease the groove from what I know, its a hell of a lot better then nothing but you won't get anywhere close to elite ha ha.

I'd say go for it if you can't get to a gym.
  17. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I'm not looking to become a body builder, just tone my upper body a little bit and maybe shed a few pounds of unwanted weight and maybe gain some lean muscle pounds.
  18. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    I go on bikerides when the weather is nice, I also have a set of cheap dumb-bells that I use. I find that with just the dumb-bells I can tone my entire upper body. I also do dips and press ups.
  19. Jakl

Jakl New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is not much you can do, other then controlled sit ups and push ups.. basically you dont count how many times you can do, you want to have control and use all your mussels in the abs for sit ups, and sames goes with push ups, basically you are doing it slowly

For sit ups, make sure you have your chest pushed up, and shoulders back, and you want ur shoulders to touch the ground, not the middle part of your back. If you do that, then you are using all of your abs.

Push ups, same thing, you want to do controlled. Slowly go down, hold for a second, then go back to starting position..

If you are doing chin ups , those are primary your Biceps and Triceps

But the Gym is worth it... Get a membership because you have all the equipment. I'm 160 and I'm able to bench 205 and I have only been going to the gym not even 1 year yet (till June) . You have to dedicate yourself to go to the gym if you want to accomplish your goal
  20. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well see the problem is that when I'm at my mom's I don't have any way of getting to the gym. I don't have my license and I'm sure my mom won't drive me.
  21. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would say explosive exercise would be best if your after a tone up and weight loss.

treat your exercises like sprints , maximum effort for a short period of time.

Recover, then do the same again.

5 sets of 5 would probably be fine and dandy : ]
  22. Jakl

Jakl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Word bro, I hear ya. Like I said, you want to do controlled workout instead of using all your energy. Do it slowly, and controlled, that's when your muscles will tighten up and develop.

I think its best to do it at night, so when you sleep your body can rest. Rest is a major thing to do when you work out. Ill try finding some links for some good ideas around your house.
  23. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay. So if I'm looking at about 200 crunches a day and maybe 100 pushups a day and however many pullups a day, what would be good for each? I think sets of 20 for crunches and sets of 10 for pushups would be good, then 5 pullups for everytime I pass through my door.

Okay, thanks. Controlled and slow. Just one question - is it any better if you have a shorter time between reps? Like is it not as good to do a curlup and then go back down and lay for a half second or so and then go up, or would constant motion be better?
  24. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    My dad said he'd probably get me an Iron Gym. Hopefully it works well :)
  25. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    You need to work on your core strength as well.

I do 3 sets of this:

15 hand shoulder apart press up - this does the upper arms
    30 double crunches
    30 second hold. Put your lower arms flat to the floor and straighten your body like you when in the press up position
    30 second hold, lay on the floor put your arms straight ahead and lift your body so that you are pivoting on stomach/groinal area
    15 wide arm pressup - this does the shoulders

rest and repeat