1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Good news For ATI? / Bad news for Nvidia?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by 20mmrain, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1567017/nvidia-fermi-gpu-cut

Being someone who prefers ATI over Nvidia..... Is this finally going to be the time that ATI takes back the crown? Or is this a sign that Nvidia's new Femi is so powerful that it just can't be contained?

I posted similar threads in both Nvidia and ATI forums to hear from both sides.....

Enjoy .....FTW ATI!

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    moved the thread to "graphics cards" which is where all threads belong if they arent ATI or Nvidia specific.

Look, now you get both camps replies in the one thread!

on topic:

This isnt good. 225W load on the cut down model? thats insanely stupid. the heat output will be enough to melt warranty stickers off half the PC.

3. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Remember that this is the same source(Semiaccurate) that stated DFI was leaving the consumer Mobo business, which ended up being false. Don't you just love speculation.

Mussels says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. XxAtlasxX

XxAtlasxX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Even if I prefer ATi, this is not good for anywone...
    If Ferni fails, then Ati will set the prices because of the lack of competition :wtf:

5. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    fermi will still be competitive performance wise but i highly doubt nvidia can handle a low cost chip basically there bigger is better attitude has bitten them in the arse this time around

6. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just read that is was from Semiaccurate and being stubburn as i am, with 3 nvidia cards in my rig now, i basicly go for green, and i really dont belive this is true, but on the other hand were talking 512stream procs, with dedicated GPU Cache(makes it hotter), so its ganna be expensive to produce, and expensive to cool down. Cards are getting so fast now, that they might as well make a program that disabled a certian number of cores apon request or automaticly, while gaming and desktop surfing.

7. Divide Overflow

Divide Overflow

Thanks Received:
    This report looks to be true from a number of different sources, NVIDIA included. It's just too difficult to get good yields from the original Fermi plan. These buggers are going to be hot and power hungry enough as it is even in their cut down form. I fully expect for them to be competitive performance wise, but will loose out big time on general availability (you thought HD5XXX's were hard to get?) thermals, performance per $ and performance per watt.

I really hope that NVIDIA is able to bring this to market before too long and keep some pressure on ATI. We all benefit from healthy competition!

8. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    yep Nvidia pooped on their own foot with Fermi it seems. BUT!!! they may fail somewhat this gen, but if they're smart, and htey are, they're going to learn from all the mistakes they've made with fermi and the following gen(GTX 4XX) will be much better and more refined. I believe that ATI will win this gen hands down. But i think its the next gen that will be another heated battle like HD 4XXX vs GTX 2XX.

9. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    CC on moving the thread to Graphics cards.... I wasn't sure on where I should have it located .... so thanks for clearing that up in the future if I do something like this again..... I will know :)

As far as this goes..... sure there are more reliable sites out there...... but I still love to hear people speculate..... Regardless it still could be true. But that is why I stated it the way I did.....

It could really either mean two things..... Either ATI will win performance the first time in a long time..... Or it means that Femi is just so hardcore that it can't be contained. Either way I think it will be a win.

At least for me it will be!

+1 I didn't really know at one time..... but the more and more that comes out about these cards....... It just sounds like Nvidia should just skip GTX300 and move straight to the GTX400. By the time they get released anyway they will be up against the HD 6870. Or getting close to it.
    I'm sure that it might be a very powerful card!!! But it just sounds like they can't get it stable. What's the point of manufacturing a card that either (A.) it will cost so much because of the production costs and the failure rate.... Or (B.) Even if they do get it out.... with it being so unstable ( in speculation) that they might have to deal with a million RMA's.

Even if they have to drop the specs a little I am sure it will still be a power house! If I owned the company and these problems were really happening..... I would rather drop the specs a little and get something out..... then wait and lose even more of the market!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  10. department76

department76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if i owned the company (really, company stock) then i'd be selling right now.

too much BS from nvidia and no results --> poor investment.

11. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    I agree. There's no way ATI will drop prices if the green party fails to deliver a decent, competitive product.

I must say when I saw that this was from the Inquirer I thought for sure it would be written by a guy named Charlie D.

12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well ATI does have an ace now. AMD. They may have something to do with the price/performance of the 5xxx series.

13. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    NVIDIAs big hammer for a big problem strategy rears its ugly head again. NVIDIA hasn't done anything right for two years now. Time to start firing people, me thinks.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    It was by Charlie D. The Inquirer reporter quoted Charlie and his website as its sole source of information.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    Go figure!! He must have jumped ship.

16. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    Before reading the thread, I looked at the sources, and if any of them contain:

theinquirer
    or
    semiaccurate

I simple ignored reading any of it.