1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Good non-silent heatsink fan?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by AMDCam, Sep 15, 2005.

1. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, I'm looking for THE BEST graphics card cooling fan, and I would especially like the exhaust design (Silencers, X8#0 XT's heatsinks, etc), but I don't need the Silencer on it. I mean if there's an exhaust heatsink model that cools better than the Silencer series I'd love to know. Sound is not a problem, I have a Vantec Tornado on my processor so I'd prefer everything to be cooled as well as the processor. Thank you.
  2. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Almost all with the exception of the Thermaltake Giants are designed for silence. The best thing to do is to get something with a big heatsink and strap a high performance fan on it. Or drill a blowhole in your side panel blowing fresh air from outside right on to the graphics card. If you want to keep the direct exit idea get a silencer and take the fan out if it, then mount a high performance 80mm fan on the outside of the shroud where the hole for the fan is blowing into there, that way you still get direct exit but with lots of airflow. Honestly though, direct intake is better than direct exit, like the blowhole in the side panel like I was telling you about.
  3. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you very much dude. The good thing is, I have 2 "PCIe" fans built in to the case, blowing air right onto the card, and I've got a little direct intake fan in the PCI slot under the graphics card that blows fresh air onto it. So I'm gonna look at the giant, but I might do that silencer idea. Thanks again
  4. turbopsi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude get that new thermalright V-1 or whatever it's called.

It's like having a SI-97 on your GPU. You can put whatever fan on it as well for awesome performance.
  5. zAAm

zAAm

Thanks Received:
    You could always get a Zalman ZM-80D and strap together 2 120mm Tornados to it? Or just get the VF-700Cu or Fatal1ty FS-something. They cool really good. Never tried a silencer before but they're a bit bulky in my opinion and my card's version has a smaller heatsink. Why? I want the same cooler as the X850XTPE and then the card would run cooler. IMO...
  6. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I'm about to get a 6800 Ultra, so I'll need my old VF700Cu again I guess (it's on my 9800, but I'll just buy another one with LED's). The Fatality is the same thing I think, just a different color. The VF700Cu actually seems like a good idea, I mean the design works better on the 6800 ultra than it does most others because of where the RAM is. My 9800 had 2 RAM chips right out of the path of the airflow from the fan, so it wasn't as effective, but the 6800 has the RAM in a circle around the GPU. Plus the guy I'm buying it from has lapped copper heatsinks on the RAM already, so it'll work out nicely. Thanks guys.
  7. turbopsi New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Problem with the Thermalright is it's only compatible with the 6800GT, not the Ultra.
  9. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, another question. I have my Athlon XP 3200+ overclocked, like in my signature. I actually don't have the multiplier at 12x, only 11 right now so it's at around 2.5ghz now with the same speed front side bus. So do you think I can keep that overclock with a little weaker fan? I am really, really getting tired of my Tornado making the computer sound like a jet and it's louder than the games I play when it's overclocked. Maybe a 92mm quiet fan? All my fans are really quiet, except that one, which ruins the fact that the rest are quiet. If anyone knows of a high cfm low noise fan (80 or 92mm) please tell me. Thanks

And just in case there isn't any, do you think mounting 2 weaker 92mm fans onto each other with a combined cfm of about 119, would work? If it will I'll try it.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  10. turbopsi New Member

Thanks Received:
    You must have not read very well...

"Compatibility

ATI

Radeon 9600, 9800, X800, X850

nVidia

GeForce 6600, 6600 GT, 6800, 6800 GT, 6800 Ultra"

Says it right there on the site I linked... Why would thermalright release a VGA cooler for only one particular card?
  11. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mkay, I'm getting tired of the mini-insults you guys throw around here. I can read, I didn't see your link though. Sad thing is, I'm still right. If you go to thermalright.com and look at the V1, you see that it's compatible with all 6800's EXCEPT the Ultra. Where it says the Nvidia and ATI cards compatible with it, click on "(* Check for details)" and you'll see, the Ultra IS NOT compatible.

Although, that is making me think, do you think a GT is a better deal for overclocking? I mean if I can put this heatsink on it, will it surpass an Ultra with an aftermarket heatsink like a Zalman VF700Cu's power?
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  12. turbopsi New Member

Thanks Received:

There was no insult intended..

Anyhow, most 6800GTs easily get to Ultra speeds or higher.. You could save money by getting a GT.

http://forums.pimprig.com/showthread.php?p=421862#post421862 Here is some more info on it.

Sorry if I got confused.. there are multiple sites saying that it works for the 6800ultra.. I guess they were misinformed.. However I would trust thermalrights website more than the review sites.
  13. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, sorry about the misunderstanding. So do you guys think that a 6800 GT would overclock higher than an Ultra while flashed to an Ultra with this heatsink? I hear they both run hot, but if the GT will run a lot cooler with that heatsink, that might make it outperform the Ultra. If anyone has an opinion or fact please tell me. Thanks
  14. turbopsi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most 6800GTs hit the same clocks as the 6800ultras, and with good cooling you can mod the bios for more voltage :).
  15. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well if that's true, then I would assume the 6800GT could outclock an Ultra because of that V1. So a flashed, overclocked GT to Ultra could clock higher simply because of the mounting holes. Kind of sad.