1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Good 'ol Dan shows how to oil a fan

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Wrigleyvillain, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Never thought about or have seen mention of this before and it apparently couldn't be easier. Kind of forgot about Dan's Data too; haven't seen any links to his site in over a year and this is an older article too.

http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm

Attached Files:

digibucc, bogmali and FilipM say thanks.
  2. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    I actually use sewing machine oil due to its low viscosity and it's designed for higher RPM parts. I can't take any credit for deciding on this type of oil as it has been recommended by quite a few parties before (although for life of me I can't remember where I had heard it.... it's been a few years and I didn't figure the source to be of much importance, just the info).

3. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Time to do some maintenance on my fans it seems like.

4. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I use Bicycle chain lubes from Pro-Link and Tri-Flow. I actually prefer the Tri-Flow most often.

MKmods says thanks.
  5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Im sorry but hasn't MK been telling us this for years?

I wouldnt swear but I think I saw a tutorial here on it too;) Of course I have been here almost forever, and like to make things up as I go along:roll:

MKmods says thanks.
  6. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

Seriousley just buy a new fricken fan, unless its a 40mm/50mm/ non standard nb/ other fan then maybe, but in all honestly I would rather spend $10 on a new fan than resort to oiling the fans in my oc, I mean I already clean the sucker out with compressed air and wipe it down every week lol, I havent had many fans die on me so maybe someone has a different take, though this seems like overkill imo

7. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    i would use white lithium grease. it doesnt dry out so fast, and will smear even high temperated parts very well. i have no problems with that stuff, since many years;)

8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
  9. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    LOL, why yes I think he has...:laugh: A lot of the new fans have the access to the bearing sealed (not an easy plug to remove) On those I drill a hole to get access to the bearing.
    Here is one fan that needed to be drilled out
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=113030

The best way to lube the bearings is to remove the fan blade and grease the shaft rather than hope that oil can drip past the lock clip and seal.

I like to use brake grease as its cheap and very resistant to high heat, However the Chain lube BUCK NASTY mentioned is very good too(but really sticky so tont make a mess with it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    Velvet Wafer and sneekypeet say thanks.
  10. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    enermax magma are great for your method! due to the magnet bearing, the blades are removable... i just need to smear the shaft, and add a little bit of grease on the shaft hole, and the fan is like new! your suggestion with drilling a hole,is also simple, but efficient. i never thought about that:)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    MKmods says thanks.
  11. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I got one of those Enermax fans, they are very well made fans.

12. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    i love them, they just are a little weak regarding sudden blade stop (like sticking your finger in it,accidently). i broke a bearing on one of mine, with such doings:(
    but after a little grease, even that rattler is nearly silent, among the ambient DB of all my Fans!;)
    it now runs 1400 rpm, whereas it was 1700 before. not much of a loss,tho! the cool thing is, youre theoretically able to exchange the whole bearing, when removing the top sticker. its like a backwards-system, where the bearing is on top of the blade, far away from any electronics:D