1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Good video card and a good case for HTPC?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Sinzia, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    I'm using a bunch of spare parts for an HTPC for all my ripped blu-rays and dvds, with dual analog tuners (I have them, might as well use them)

Asus P5Q Pro Turbo
    Intel 8400 Core2Duo @ 4.5 GHz (I'll wont OC it too heavy, its going to be on air with a dark night)

4 GB of G.skill ram

dual ATi Theater 550 pro's

600 watt PSU

120 GB sata drive for OS

I'll be using my 12 tb SAN for media storage

Win 7 home premium x64
    -------

What I need is a good video card for HTPC use, meaning I need one that will do good video processing, good deinterlacing etc.
    With HDMI out, and I'd like it to do the sound as well.

I also need a good looking case (in black, minimalist design) that supports ATX motherboards.
    I was thinking of the CoolerMaster Elite 360, since it can be laid flat.

I'd rather not break the bank, so cheaper the better for the most part.

Thanks folks! :)

2. Rowsol

Rowsol

Thanks Received:
    Well, for HTPC I like the E350 Fusion from AMD but if you already had a mobo I'd say go with a 5770. If you don't need that much power you could grab one without a fan for a more quiet setup.

For an ATX case you can go with a fractal design or similar case with sound dampening or just grab a really cheap one. Case is preference most of all.

Sinzia says thanks.
  3. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    GTX 460 or GTX 560 :) and get a cooler master haf or scout !! they are both solid cases or you can try antec or nzxt?

Sinzia says thanks.
  4. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    The video card is easy. Any 5670, 5750, or 5770. Even a 240 or 250 Depending on your budget. If your not gamming on it I dont see any reason to spend more. I have the 5750 and HD movies look and sound unreal on my 40" 120Hz LCD

The case is the issue. You mentioned a black, minimalist design. First thing that pops into my mind is my P-180 Antec. But i paid $100 for it. It is insulated for sound !

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
    Sinzia says thanks.
  5. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the ideas, guys!

I went with the CM Elite 360, its cheap and can fit inside an entertainment center nicely.

I'll wait and see how the new 67xx series drives the prices down on the older 57xx cards, and I'll post back here in a month. :)

6. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    5750 is what i used.... ended up switching to full case and a 5850, but that's just because i wanted full gaming on it,the 5750 did awfully well... i just wanted more ;)

7. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would just get the 5450, its not worth spending so much money on "neither here nor there" graphics cards, eg 5670. GT210/220 are also good options. All of them are powerful enough to drive 1080p video without breaking a sweat, and they are silent as an added advantage. Also, you probably want to get rid of the overclock on the cpu, since that you are not going to get any use out of it anyway.