1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Good wireless router for "NAT"

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Cybrnook2002, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    Ok, So im going to be using Filezilla to set up a home FTP server so a few friends can commute to my pc for "data".
    1. my wireless DI-524 bukake'd yesterday after a firmware update I did two weeks ago. It was weird ever since. The update added a logout button to the menu, but when i clicked it, it seemed to glitch to a page saying try again. then when i refreshed my browser, I was back in the menu (So i did not worry to much about it). But yesterday I logged in to disable wireless and as soon as I 192.168.0.1 to log in, it goes straight to the logout page. Hmm, whatever I cleared cookies , history blah blah. Needless to say, its "chillin". So, I need a new router.
    2. I would like advice on a good "NAT" router that I can set up to forward external FTP requests from my outside IP address to my internal. So, for example: If my friends is connected to my 80.81.82.156 external IP (My ip from my ISP), then the router forwards that to my internal IP 192.168.0.134 (Example).

P.S. I know how port forwarding works, so advice on that is ok. Just a good router.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  2. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    I have a DLink DIR-855 ... work great ... plus it has 2 bands 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
    I use it for media streaming between XBOX360 - PC and a KISS mediaplayer....
    I have testet a few (Linksys/SMC/NetGear)....and no one beats this...

Cybrnook2002 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if you want external requests then all you need is a router that does port forwarding and/or DMZ. Its a very basic function that all routers should support.

Cybrnook2002 says thanks.
  4. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    anything that can run openWRT well.