1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Android users clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by crazy pyro, Nov 15, 2009.

1. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    The upcoming Android 4.4 KitKat and Nexus 5 appear in live photos

Android 4.4 KitKat and LG Nexus 5 appeared yet again before hitting officialdom. Android’s next major release got caught running on the upcoming Nexus smartphone in live photos.

[​IMG]

The leaked images allow us to catch a glimpse of the Android 4.4 KitKat settings menu, which reveals some new features coming our way. They include a "tap & pay" option, as well as new location settings menu which offers high accuracy, battery saving, and device sensors modes. The high accuracy mode is said to use a combination of GPS, Wi-Fi, and mobile networks, while the other two rely on GPS or mobile networks alone.

Furthermore, the images also give us a look at the UI of Android 4.4. In line with previous reports, the status bar is transparent and with white icons.

[​IMG]

There's also a camera shortcut placed in the lower right corner of the lockscreen – much like on iOS 7. The ability to access the camera via a swipe gesture is also available.

The homescreen has a few new icons, including Google Photos, which comes to replaceme the Gallery app. A rearranged, transparent app drawer grid which lacks direct access to widgets is also present. A couple of new wallpapers are also coming with the next Android release.

Android 4.4 KitKat and the Nexus 5 availability is expected to be officially detailed before the end of this month.

http://www.gsmarena.com/the_upcomin...d_nexus_5_appear_in_live_photos-news-6967.php

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the 'tap and pay' stuff gets me moist, NEED that working here in aus.

also two apps i cant live without:

1. 'silent time' - same as do not disturb on IOS. unlike the others, you dont need to pay for it to work.

2. 'full!screen' - hides the 'soft' buttons on my tab 2.0 giving me the extra screen res back. amazing how android just auto adjusts to a larger screen size instantly. gives about 1-2 extra lines of text depending on what you're looking at.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    wheres "messaging"? they move it somewhere?

4. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if it will come to Nexus 4. And where's the phone and messaging? I dont see the bar at the bottom that normally holds those

5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    because thats the tablet UI, not the phone UI,

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Oh. that makes sense

7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

looks like once you're in a menu it swaps to tablet UI, back to the launcher and those buttons appear. static screenshots just dont really show that.

it looks odd to me because my galaxy's have physical buttons, so its done different on the nexus.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Looks alot like my nexus 4, except the app icons look like they're slightly bigger; and the phone itself must be a good bit bigger. Or that person has tiny hands, lol

9. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Anybody have a Moto x or note 3? I'm possibly looking at the moto x and mote 3 for the sister!?
    Motox $25-$99
    NOTE 3 $209

10. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    Android 4.3 firmware for Galaxy S4 now available for download

[​IMG]
    A leaked road map revealed that the Samsung Galaxy S4 will be getting the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean upgrade this month and now, a test firmware for the fourth-generation Galaxy S smartphone has been leaked.

The leaked firmware is very close to the final build, which means that there will be no additional features included in the Android 4.3 OS for Galaxy S4. According to SamMobile, the upcoming software upgrade for Samsung's flagship smartphone will be mostly identical to this ROM, expect for a few bug fixes and minor enhancements.

Samsung is expected to roll out the official Android 4.3 upgrade for its Galaxy S4 smartphone in a week or two. However, there is no official word on that at the moment.

The folks at SamMobile have already done a video preview of the Android 4.3 ROM running on the Galaxy S4 smartphone

If you are in hurry and don't feel like waiting for the official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update, then head to the source link to grab the leaked test firmware. However, please continue with the flashing instructions only if you are sure about what you are up to.

http://www.gsmarena.com/android_43_test_firmware_for_samsung_galaxy_s4_surfaces-news-6972.php

11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    but i want 4.4 not 4.3 :(

hell i dont even know whats different between 4.12, 4.2.2 and 4.3

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Idk I had 4.2 and then 4.3 there isn't really anything major didn't break anything either. Help ed battery life some I think . not really even sure about that lol

13. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I have a Moto X and I have to say this is the true successor to the Galaxy Nexus for Verizon customers. It's nearly stock android, not gigantic, and is a phone that does all I need it to and thankfully doesn't come with anything that I don't need that ends up getting in the way.

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Looks like I have the option to get a new phone 11/1. My GNex will probably be going to my daughter (her first smartphone), so that means I need to figure out what to get.

Samsung GS4
    Moto X
    Droid Maxx
    Nexus 5

Which one is better and why?

EDIT: I guess I should add what's important for me. I like a big screen (I'm old :p ), I want something that's very responsive, and I wish the pics on my GNex were better. I don't want to have it replace my regular camera, but I want something that takes great quick pics with less blur and lighting issues. I'm not going to play a lot of games on it (currently only have Sudoku, solitaire, Jetpack Joyride, etc.), but will use it constantly for checking email, texting and browsing. Battery life is an issue for me, as I can't charge it for hours and hours during the day. I love that my GNex only takes 1-1-5 hours to charge, but even with the extended battery (2100mAh) I only get about a day or so. I would love something that I could charge every other day. :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  15. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    If you're super used to stock android, Moto X or Nexus 5. If you want really good battery life, Droid MAXX, if you like the cool Samsung features and a phone that is STUPIDLY fast with a great 1080P screen, GS4.

Mussels and t_ski say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  16. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I got the moto X, bet phone I have ever had. This phone rocks and highly recommend it. Love the stock Android.

t_ski says thanks.
  17. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I edited my post above with some things I'm looking for.

18. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    The moto x is very fast has the andreno 320 gpu . is dual core 1.7ghz. I only play words with friends. Play s video s great for me the battery life is great just had 1 day and 16hors down to 13%. Never uses more than 750mb of ram. I believe you can make text size bigger also has Motorola assist which helps you with anything even has a feature to call or live chat with a aisstant . my sister thinks it's camera is better than her note 3's (I haven't compared).
    Screen is 4.7" now with this phone is very small because its almost all a screen very small bezel so it can feel tiny.

Hope this make some sense I'm out eating.

t_ski says thanks.
  19. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    With what you're looking for, I might recommend the Maxx or a Galaxy S4 with a battery case. The Moto X's battery is decently good, but I'm also leaving a lot of the Moto X's new features which take a bit of a toll on battery.

One thing to keep in mind is that I ran my Galaxy S4 in Power Saver mode, and it was still blisteringly fast, and only a tap away to unlock full power. Battery life was actually quite good compared to my Galaxy Nexus (but original battery) with heavy 4G use about 2hrs a day.

I will say currently the Moto X's camera is pretty crappy (even compared to my Galaxy Nexus). They released a software update for it, but only T Mobile has it thus far so I can't speak to those improvements. The Galaxy S4 takes much better pictures than the Galaxy Nexus, and I would consider it a decent replacement for a point and shoot (minus the zoom).

t_ski says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  20. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I just spent an hour or so looking through some reviews on these. Sounds like SenseUI is going to be a pain for me. Leaning toward the Maxx at the moment...

21. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    You mean TouchWiz? Sense UI is from HTC.

t_ski says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  22. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Yep, that's it... lulz

23. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    You won't go wrong with the S4. My girlfriend loves it (and I want it too LOL - I have an S3 atm) and the camera is a decent replacement for those times when she doesn't have her Canon 60D in hand.

t_ski says thanks.
  24. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    S4. 4.3 improves a few things even more, and battery life is not bad if you disable a few of the useless samsung extras (smart stay, smart pause, etc)

t_ski says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  25. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    maybe an LG G2 or Nexus 5? Specs look decent, too.