1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Android users clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by crazy pyro, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    most of the time its either:

run an app
    connect USB to PC and run program on PC
    flash a zip file in recovery mode
  2. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    indeed CM11 is nightlies state still i use it daily and with ART activated i don't encounter many FC or bugs, its either that i'm lucky or that Temasek is a really good cooker ...

well as long as you can get the CM installer from other sources than google play it's nothing to worry about but since the CM11 on S3 is unofficial: it will not be possible with the installer iirc, only CM9 CM10 will be available. still a major improvement over a stock rom tho.

was about to say that ... Odin rooting is just too easy and after that DL from google play Rom Manager and flash recovery (Clockworkmod preferably) then just follow any thread on XDA about a custom rom (that's what i did with my CM11)
  3. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah thats simple and great idea but i just found some memory card will fail if you backup your system in it
  4. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    yep that's unfortunate, i always use Sandisk or Patriot µSD but Samsung and other brand could do fine too, i wonder if it was some no name who had that behavior, only once i had a backup fail and it was a cheap no name "labelled" C10
  5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    Yep, ive micro sd from local brand and every 97% it always say fail to backup, i have PNY, sandisk for backup and i use local brand just to save data :)
  6. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Just ordered my G2 to upgrade from my GNex. What are the best tools to backup my apps so I can restore them on the new phone? I know I can go to android.com and just install everything, but I don't want to lose my progress on some of my games.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    android.com?

if you're rooted you can use titanium backup to backup and restore apps, but otherwise progress will likely be lost.
  8. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Well, I thought it was. I guess it's just the web version of the Play Store.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    titanium backup but you need to root first
    t_ski says thanks.
  10. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    GreiverBlade says thanks.
  11. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    got my nexus 5, waiting for my case to come in. a note for any sprint users, you will need to get a uicc (micro sim) card from a sprint CORPORATE store in order to activate your nexus.
  12. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:

You can have your full size Sim cut to a micro one, so no need to change your number.
  13. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    that's a handy bit of info thank you :) unfortunately my htc evo lte on sprint did not use a sim card, in fact the nexus and iphones are all i know that do on sprint.
  14. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Guys, I'm having a really big problem with my Huawei. It seems that after a certain amount of time in standby, it does not get any notifications. I wake up in the morning/afternoon and I'll get about half a dozen notifications firing from various times while I was asleep. Even if someone sends me an IM, I won't get the notification till I unlock the phone, which could be hours later. This is absolutely ridiculous. It's been like this since I got it.
  15. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Look at the notifications settings to see if it has any "quiet hours." it may even have the option to not wake the phone from sleep if you get notifications.

Is this stock or rooted?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Stock ROM, rooted with EROOT. I can't find anything about "quiet hours" in the settings, and googling it mainly brings up results related to 3rd party apps or OEMs coding it directly into their custom ROMs. So maybe Huawei did that, I'm not sure.

Other googling led me to this, which suggests it's a known issue with a fix in the works for 4.3. But Huawei aren't exactly HTC or Samsung when it comes to firmware upgrades.
  17. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    A coworker has that brand of phone and seems to like it, but I admit I don't know much about it.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2555569

4.4 kitkat is out for the i9505, modded i9505g rom :) veeeeery nice and about 1/3 the size of the samsung roms.

check in the advanced wifi settings to see if wifi turns off when the screen goes off. could be doing that to save power (standard options are always on, off when screen off, on when charging/screen on)
  19. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i'm definitely liking it as well. i ALMOST really like the hangouts switchup, but I still use a third-party sms (chomp) as it supports delayed sending and individual contact alert tones. I really like the Ok, Google feature, but i guess that's kind of about time huh? ;)
  20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i've had it all of an hour, so i havent played with many of the new features yet. i changed to the nova launcher which i think disabled the 'ok google' thing.

what phone do you have? and please, more details on your 4.4 experience.

mine coming from samsung 4.3 to google 4.4: it looks a lot simpler and plainer (lots of white or grey instead of color) but its 1/3 the size and runs a lot smoother.
  21. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I'm using a HTC one X, no kitkat for me, unless it's a custom one.
  22. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    15days after my S3 now i know why i hate officials roms :laugh: and indeed custom roms are a third the size of a samsung one since they have no samsung crap in it... (and samsung said the "aviable residual space scandale" in the main memory was unavoidable ... peuh... :D stock google/AOSP/AOKP (CM/Omni/Slim) those are way better ...

as for my 4.4 i started with V6 and no bug and other joy now im on V15 avec Boeffla's Kernel 2,1 Beta3 but the beta2.1 was a bit better :)

i wonder since i saw other GT-I9300 owner having those problems, i tried to re enact the event which where supposed to make the phone and rom bug and : nothing, same phone same rom ... only the user change, i wonder why xD
  23. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Woohoo! Bought a "defective" Nexus 4 that turns out to be working just fine :D
    Currently on build KRT16O, somehow no update to S available... Oh well, finally back on the latest versions :)
  24. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    the S3 i have was supposed to be defective too :D it turned out that the previous owner did the infamous 4.3 update and the USB cable was defective so most of the charging problems and misbehavior of the device where from user error :D
  25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    if its like the s4, the baseband (aka modem firmware) can vary and be the cause of oh so many problems, since it doesnt update with the custom roms and has to be done seperate.

also since custom roms dont format the internal SD card, people tend to forget about crap they installed and dirty flash between roms and have lots of old tweaks nad crap stay active.