1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Android users clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by crazy pyro, Nov 15, 2009.

1. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone,

May I join your club? I have a Samsung Galaxy 580.

Also, I have a few questions.

1. What the hell is rooting?
    2. Why can't I download from the Android Market website?

[​IMG]

2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    hello:)
    rooting unlocks the capabilities of your phone. for most people this simply means allowing you to download software for free - but in truth that's really not what it's about.

it offers about as complete customization as you can get - my recommendation though would be to use the phone for a week or two and then decide if there is anything you want it to do it can't - and then look to see if rooting offers a solution. i didn't hesitate to root my evo but that's the type of stuff i do :)

as for the market - i have never used the website, only the app - so idk. but is the app not available on the phone?

3. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    Hello,
    As you may or may not recall, Android x.x is based on linux, the really complicated system that is usually virus free, very stable, and lacks hardware drivers for anything consumers use :banghead:

Anyway, the reason it is stable and bug free is because it (Linux OS) wants permssion to do most anything it doesn't already do on its own. On a Windows computer, we call this Administrative Rights, or admin privileges. With these rights, you can install programs, let certain programs do the work typically done by Windows, or really hose up your machine.

In the Linux world, the same privilege is known as "root access." A separate set of (very powerful) tools are opened for your use during root access. Busybox is the set of tools. Super User (su) is the app on your phone that controls which of the other apps have access to busybox, and therefore, root access.

Really, "rooting" is something a baby does to find its mom's breast. I know this because I'm a new dad! My boy is a week old today. A big baby, 9.75 pounds (4.4 kg)!

ps, digibucc, how far upstate are you? I'm orig from Adirondacks.

HossHuge and digibucc say thanks.
  4. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    that's where i am :)

I am originally from Syracuse Area, but have been living (just barely) in the Adirondacks, Northville-for 4 years now. Loving the trails ;)

5. SNiiPE_DoGG New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool! I'm in Troy (RPI), Not nearly the Adirondacks but not far away either. I was in Lake Luzerne in September.

digibucc says thanks.
  6. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info and reminding me that I really like breasts!!

Congrads on the new boy....:toast:

7. freakshow

freakshow

Thanks Received:
    i want to be in this club
    i have a rooted Samsung Epic 4G with clockwork recovery mod and its fully flashed to cricket wireless (well besides MMS) by me :D :toast:

8. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    As for your question about downloading from the market, you can't from the website. there are some pages out there (AppBrain) that let you download to the phone from a web page, but the market itself won't let you. you have to browse from your phone :)

9. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I'm officially running 2.2.

:D

10. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    To keep it on topic, hows the GPS work on the adk trails? It's not like they are difficult to navigate, but tracking and such...also how does the canopy interfere?
    I'm from tupper lake BTW, and my brother was a guide on the Hudson in north creek this summer

...and how is it? I'm still waiting. I did get to see the international edition last week. I was helping Bob Beggs on his new sailboat, and he has one. We didn't have enough time to compare phones side by side...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  11. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    GPS works well...I actually got a Garmin eTrex Summit after spending a few hours looking for a trail one day :) I also tested the GPS on my evo, which will locate me but not give directions as there is no cell signal 90% of the time...

the trails are good, but i wanted to go off trail and not die so i figured that the safest way... in addition to finally understanding declination and how to read a topo map properly :) the canopy can be an issue, even with the eTrex - it will take a minute or two to allocate sometimes, and the higher i raise it the better it works...

I have 2.2, but it was already on the Evo when i first got it, so i've never used anything but, to compare it to.... my Archos 101IT should be in early next week, with 2.1 ... so I will finally see the difference, which i have heard is pretty massive. and then update it to 2.2 as soon as it's possible :)

12. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    So far, it's pretty good. Haven't seen any lag yet, but that could be said for when I originally got my phone which obviously had 2.1.

It feels slightly more responsive, I like the UI improvements but I'll keep on playing and see what else happens.

13. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    IC, is touchwiz built in? Also, did you get things situated with download-mode? I saw something in the vibrant forums on xda about making a special USB cable that emulates a test bench. I'm on my phone now, but will edit this to include the link later. They call it a jig.

And now about GPS...I have mucho experience with GPS units and software. Trimble, Garmin, DeLorme...these things have agps, which really sucks. Nothing beats a handheld while tromping through the north country. I bought my dad an etrex off Craigslist. He uses Google earth to get his track and custom poi's (some ridge that might overlook a pond). The way I see it, start simple, get used to the equipment, and upgrade when what you have doesn't do what you need it to.

So, the fact that our phones don't have map bases, and can't be used as dedicated GPS makes me forget about it. Although I actually have a road map base (an app called Maps(-) ), that ain't gonna cut it in the outback.

digibucc says thanks.
  14. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    TouchWiz is built in yeah, I'm starting to get used to it now, but I'm tempted to try out others such as LauncherPro. In regards to download mode, just upgrading via Kies did. Didn't have to initiate anything on the phone manually, if that's what you mean?

15. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  16. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    I swear to God, I'm going to kick the next person in the genitals (boy or girl) that asks me if my phone is an iphone. Then they go "oh" when I tell them it's not........:mad:

17. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I had a girl ask me what kind of iPhone my phone was (Droid Incredible) and I told her it wasn't an iPhone. And she said, "Oh, well that's stupid that Verizon would come out with that when they're going to get the iPhone anyway." It took every ounce of self restraint in my body to not fire a barrage of information at her and teach her a fucking lesson.

18. King Wookie

King Wookie New Member

Thanks Received:
    My reply is I wanted something better.

digibucc says thanks.
  19. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    some people really have no clue that there other phones with a touch screen...

20. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    It's probably the same people who think a 360 or PS3 is faster than a decent computer.....:laugh:

21. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    one of my best mates gets proper agressive about the PC vs consoles (360 fanboy) discussion, insists that using a keyboard and mouse means you cannot play any decent games, and it is ONLY posible on the 360 because the joysticks move in a 3d motion or someshit like that :confused: , i said wait for multiplatform games, then play me bitch! :rockout:

HossHuge says thanks.
  22. SNiiPE_DoGG New Member

Thanks Received:
    OT:
    yeah anyone making the PC vs 360 argument just needs to see the absolutely abysmal 360 COD:BO multiplayer graphics.... I seriously cant believe I bought this game... but a few of my fraternity bros play it and Its fun to get lan games in once in a while.

/OT sorry ;)

Bo$$ says thanks.
  23. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    If i'm inquisitive about someone's phone or gadget, i say...What ya got there?

that reminds me of my roommate at NATTC...he says I'm going to get a coke, do you want one? I say sure. He says, what kind?!? (i didn't know coke was generic for soda, and i guess she doesn't know apple makes the iphone).

I knew it would take some time, but you guys are slow!

24. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
  25. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    yep it is really quite good :toast: