1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Android users clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by crazy pyro, Nov 15, 2009.

1. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    JVH is the ROM build version. However it's more than likely you're on JVO if you're not running a custom ROM.

[​IMG]

To access it, go to Settings>About phone>Build number.

2. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Just got my new HTC Desire S :D £10/month :p

3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Nice phone! :) It's too bad I like Vanilla over Sense but nice nonetheless. Enjoy! :toast:

@InnocentCriminal

Would it be wise for me to go from a 1.1k Quadrant 24.7 Droid 1 to possibly a Galaxy S or maybe even S II?

4. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Hey, who says it's staying on the official Rom? lol.

Just going to play for afew weeks on this, when i'll try some more customs.

5. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
  6. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Well I get nearly 1.7K on my Galaxy S but Quadrant doesn't mean dick really. Personally I'd get the Galaxy S II - Darky's ROM is apparently going to be coming to the SII which means that phone is going to be worth having.

However, if you're happy with what you're on now then I'd stick with it. However, if you're due for an upgrade or it's applicable to get a new handset, you won't be disappointed with the Galaxy S II.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
    JrRacinFan says thanks.
  7. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man. I'll stick with what i got for now til i can afford 4g phone/plan. Having an issue though, you think there will be any 4g phones with a slide out qwerty? I absolutely HATE touchscreen.

8. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    evo's cousin has one afaik.... can't remember the name... evo shift maybe?

9. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    The Galaxy S II is disappointing to say the least...it's cpu isn't as powerful as the Tegra 2, it has a larger 4.3" 800x480 screen, albeit lower resolution than the 4" 960x540 qHD screens (less PPI), and it feels cheap and flimsy. The only saving grace it has is the fact it ships with 2.3 which is optimized for dual core.

I'll take my Atrix any day of the week over the Galaxy S II (along with many developers on xda who have used both phones). The Super AMOLED+ is over saturated and can not compare in brightness.

My girlfriend currently has a Captivate running Cognition and it's an ok phone, but she fell in love with my Atrix the second I got it. She loved the Captivate's AMOLED until she saw the Atrix. The point I'm trying to make is - Samsung's phones are great on paper, but not so great in execution. They still have poor build quality, GPS issues, and the stock software is rubbish.

Now, I never run stock software on any of my phones so that doesn't apply to me. However, the SGSII does have the advantage in that it has an unlocked bootloader, whereas the Atrix has a locked bootloader (although there are PROM's available which are great) and there's a lot of determination from the developer community to crack the bootloader.

By the way, this isn't a post to try to sell the Atrix, I'm just comparing the two highest end phones out in the market right now. When it comes down to it, the Tegra 2 is a better and more supported platform especially when running 2.3. The SGII's screen is a bit disappointing at 4.3" 800x480 vs 4" qHD (such as the Atrix) at 960x540.

Before I start getting bashed as a fanboy I feel I should point out that I had a Nexus One for over a year (loved the phone and screen then I compared it to the Atrix and was blown away). I've had an Evo, Droid, Hero, Galaxy S, and have played with 75% of all Android phones out there (I'm a huge phone nerd).

Anyway, take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'm just trying to give you one person's point of view so you can make a more educated decision. Either way, you won't be disappointed with any phone you get. The SGSII is a great phone but I feel there are better offerings right now as well as in the works. I'm personally waiting for the Nexus 3 near Christmas which is supposed to have a Tegra 3 quadcore (5x faster than Tegra 2), Android OS 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, and a 4-4.5" 1280x720 screen (depending if they use the Toshiba 4" or Hitachi 4.5", both of which designed for mobile phones). The phone is supposedly going to be made by either LG, Motorola, or Sony Ericsson.

It's going to be an exciting year for phones!

-Matt

JrRacinFan and (FIH) The Don say thanks.
  10. Hugis

Hugis

Thanks Received:
    Popped in to say that im now running a HTC desire (1week old) love it compared to my palm pixi plus.

Any pointers to rooting ,roms etc?
    Ive found the XDA site

11. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    Desire Z http://www.htc.com/dk/product/desirez/overview.html

sry, its not a 4g :(

12. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    go with the Redux rom :D its brilliant imo

13. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    I'd do it but trying to get something ALOT better than my OG Droid. For me I don't like Sense roms at all. Is there a vanilla rom I can put on it OTHER than CM7?

Currently lovin Simply Stunning 5.3 with 250/800 ulv....

Guess I may just have to start getting used to a touchscreen keyboard. Never heard of Redux bro. Got a link I want to read up on it some.

14. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    did you not see/like my mention of Evo shift? it's sense by default but a ROM changes
    that. it's pretty much an Evo (the best phone in the world) with a flip-out touchpad kb.

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  15. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Can you throw some Atrix links my way? I'm rooted on the most recent update, picked a new launcher (I hated Blur) and have some of the factory stuff frozen, but don't really know where to go from there.

16. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Didn't see it, and like it thanks. Also, I'm on verizon. Is there a VZW version of it? Can it be activated on VZW if not?

17. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=991595

That's the ROM I use. It's great and makes the phone just feel so much better.

Everything I have I got from XDA, I just browse the various Atrix forums found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=994

18. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Hey just got Galaxy Ace as my work phone. I know its limited from flash but there are also some apps on store that don't show up on my phones market but they are available for better phones (my friends HTC desire hd) or via PC. For example Pocket Legends are invisible but from specs it shows that the version of android should be OK. How can I check what specifications I need to meet per program/game ?

19. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes apps are carrier locked. I know AT&T blocks a lot of market apps on their phones. I use MarketAccess to get around that. It requires root tho.

20. blacktruckryder

blacktruckryder

Thanks Received:
    Sign me up, running a MyTouch 4G right now. I've got temproot with VISIONary.

21. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    So finally I'm an Android user, too. Just got my hands on the Galaxy SII and am now trying to work my way trough Android... alot to learn as I can see just now.

22. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Think Linux core and you will be a-ok. ;)

23. blacktruckryder

blacktruckryder

Thanks Received:
    Anybody else using the Mytouch 4g? Finally have perm-root! And running a custom rom now. Anybody recommend any good roms?

24. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    once rooted the evo can, so i have to assume the shift can - but you would lose 4g in the
    conversion process so the point would be moot. always forgetting phones are tied to carriers. stupid.

25. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Still not managed to root my desire z although I enjoyed android so much I bought a advent vega from work.

Got it for 170 it's rooted running corvus 5 mod and overclocked to 1.4 ghz.

Tegra 2 works real nice!