1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google bans Microsoft Windows on office computers

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by El Fiendo, Jun 1, 2010.

1. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/7792685/Google-bans-Microsoft-Windows-on-office-computers.html
    http://www.gadgetsnreviews.com/google-has-banned-the-use-of-microsoft-windows-on-office-computers-reports-financial-times/1495.html

Sounds like Google has their security down pat. Oh except for the fact that the hackers would have gotten in anyways as it was a deliberate attack and not a crime of opportunity. If the same method didn't work, they'd have only used a different one. Also, they fell prey to a phishing e-mail so they ban an OS? Your idiot workers are still going to be idiots and click those links no matter the OS.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    phishing? that's not phishing, that is hacking. switching their oses would stop windows specific vulnerabilities in software from allowing a hacker to steal your account info.

the real question is - google employees use internet explorer? aaaghh

quote from the first link you gave.

jmcslob says thanks.
  3. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    LOL you would think they'd be using Chrome and not IE

4. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    right.. that's odd they don't even use their own browser hehe

5. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Mac Os is VIRUS/HACKER PROOF!!!

Just ask most apple sales guys or their marketing team.
    Seesh where have you guys been?!?!?!?

:ROLL:

6. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Google says different.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/new-approach-to-china.html

I don't really care on the specifics, lol. Still a BS move on Google to ban Windows.

digibucc says thanks.
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    A company like Google most likely has real hackers going after their data, not just random viruses. They'll encounter the same type of directed assaults no matter what OS they use. I think they really need to fire that guy and find someone who really knows about cybersecurity (like the fact any computer connected to a network is a potential security hole).

El Fiendo says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    are they don't even know that MAC is MORE EASY to hack than windows 7 ?

9. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    would you care to further delve into this claim that mac is easier to hack than windows? where does this idea come from?

a secure mac system is unix based - which is more time tested secure than windows NT base...

if the mac itself is not as secure - still, i find that claim a little overextended....

10. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    There was a hacking contest and a mac osx was hacked faster than win7. Anyway, the best security would be a custom OS or something.

wahdangun and digibucc say thanks.
  11. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Two Houses arguing about which is more hackable?

12. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    It's a hallucination.

digibucc says thanks.
  13. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    pretty tuff to hack up win 7 if left a default security settings...Especially if the employees were given a 30 minute instructions on what to expect from win 7 and its security.

14. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They will soon be using their own operating system. They first mentioned it July 09 but it's supposed to be launched next fall.

15. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    yep, it was at PWN2OWN that OS X was the first OS to get hacked through safari if i recall. Google chrome is also the only web browser at that contest to go 2 yrs un-hacked.

16. Trigger911

Trigger911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    There are a lot of holes in the mac os and unix. If your running stock installs MACs are the easist Unix system I have had the pleasure to pen test .... my boss has a power book I have cron jobs that report what Ip and such he is on and it reports to me.

17. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Lmao so what they gonna use linux or a dreaded apple pos.

18. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    maybe there own OS? we haven't seen it yet but it wouldn't surprise me for them to have a working version in their lil HQ buildings lol

19. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
  20. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    it really comes down to market share. no system is unbreakable or uncrackable - it just takes time and resources. as with any undertaking, resources should be funneled toward a specific end - either a specific system for a specific reason , or more commonly , the most widely used system.

it's a good thing there are systems that are totally separate, from scratch - that require completely different coding to penetrate. if the market share was 33/33/33 (windows/nix/mac) , we'd probably see even less major spy/virii.

but as soon as a system gains market share, it proportionally gains hackers, crackers etc trying to learn how and to violate their security.

21. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    While an interesting development in the world of internet company's policies and politics, this is not relevant to this section in that it is not a question or discussion about software so much as a company's decision to use software.

Thanks for your thought.

22. Trigger911

Trigger911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would make them use chrome and all the workers could be used to de-bug the os faster as its all in house

23. Pembo210

Pembo210 New Member

Thanks Received:

2008 Mac hacked in 2 minutes:laugh:

2009 Mac hacked in 10 seconds!!
    :roll:

Here is the PWN2OWN website

Of course people don't make viruses for Macs. There's no need to when you can just take over everything in 10 seconds through their awesome browser. They can completely lock you out and steal everything.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  24. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't sure what category to put it in, but I didn't think it belonged on generalnonsense.net. Perhaps there should be a user submitted news section that covers tech related developments such as this?

25. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    I think this is a good move by google.

why?

face it: over 98% of viruses target windows. there are so many exploits to be found on the windows platform. while most are patched over time, it is a difficult task to deploy security patches to large amounts of employees and make sure they are installed and functional.

Google is making a statement to microsoft: we don't need your operating system. we have our own - and soon the consumer will have it.

the validity of this statement is true- google actually has 3 different operating systems that it uses -

-it uses a secret operating system not based on windows mac or linux to run it's web servers and cloud computing architecture.

-almost half of google's employees have been using a non-microsoft operating system for a long time. Google uses it's own ubuntu/debian based operating system referred to as goobuntu. google develops many patches and applications for ubuntu. they also have many internal applications used on their goobuntu machines used for security and the like. I personally have seen goobuntu in action - it has similarities to ubuntu, but is really different in other aspects.

- google chrome os - google is developing it's own operating system for the end consumer - in order to market their own products, they must relinquish reliance on it's competitors. it's ironic that microsoft presentations are done via keynote on a mac..

Overall - this was a good move by google - it makes windows look bad, and strengthens google. completely switching over to goobuntu will allow google to be safer, and better manage their network.