1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Chrome Claims 1% Market-Share in Just 9 Hours

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Sep 4, 2008.

1. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    agreed what??

And Google has released some nifty software in it's time. I lvoe Gmail - but how it's still in the beat stage after 3 years is just beyond me.

And Google Earth is also good but i don't really use it that much. Also i have recently found iGoogle which lets you customise your homepage which i found very useful.

On topic however - most of those 14 odd million that downloaded Chrome will probably uninstall it the next day.

2. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea i just don't see myself using it. Im happy with firefox.

3. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    I still wanna know if theres gonna be an adblock for it. If not, then im not using it. Idc how fast it is.

4. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:

yeah,....because Windows never tried to set any of their assorted programs as your default.... sorry man, I gotta call BS there. This is absolutely no diff than what MS has ben doing for years.

5. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Point is, both are bad.

6. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Google Chrome can goto hell for all I care. Why would I want a browser that aims specifically at advertising products, and most likely collects anonymous data to track user travel.

Sorry I'll stick with Safari and IE.

Ahhzz says thanks.
  7. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    hahahaha Rav get's a thanks for providing me the best laugh I've had all day :)

1c3d0g says thanks.
  8. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're worried about ads, try using this: http://www.admuncher.com/ I've never used it, but a lot of Opera users I know love it. Works for IE too.

Naw, both just follow the "acceptable industry standard that we have come to know and expect." ;)

Damn -- I may not like IE, but I don't take it as a personal insult and tell it to go to hell... :wtf:

By the way: do you have cookies enabled in Safari and IE? I bet you do -- and thus your browser is being used to collect anonymous data to track user travel and deliver advertising, whether you know it or not. ;)

1c3d0g, DeltaFox and Ahhzz say thanks.
  9. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Like I said, I'm in no way claiming Microsoft is any better (or worse for that matter). So i think it's totally awesome that you believe MS is evil and Satan but this isn't MS vs Google, MS is not the issue here.

10. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Sure, but aren't people supposed to look up to them as big, hungry green monsters who are always the "bad guys", while "underdogs" with the same characteristics are given a clean waiver ?....in your books?

11. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not at all. I don't think I've ever said anything differently (if I have, I can't recall).

I wouldn't call Google an underdog, either (if that's what you were doing -- if not, don't worry about it).

12. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Why do you care how personal I take it? Lol, just because I say Google Chrome can goto hell doesn't mean I take it personal. That's just a strong way of saying I won't be using it.

The fact is, all browsers collect data and push them to a server of the company at hand. However, I would rather have IE and Safari than a browser made by a company who made it's billions by advertising.

13. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    :wtf: Dude... what? Seriously -- think about that for a second.

14. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    :wtf: Why are questioning what browser I want to use? This thread isn't "Why people should use Google Chrome". Therefore, respect others opinions.

15. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh, I'm not questioning what browser you use, though I have to admit that your reasons for not using certain browsers strike me as somewhat naive. Your reasons for not liking Chrome (a company's advertising policy) doesn't seem to have anything to do with the browser's functionality, and more with some sort of fear of Google.

1c3d0g says thanks.
  16. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    I've actually stood up for Google on this forum, but I'm not going to explain in this thread why I choose not to use Google Chrome. There are at least 8 reasons I can think of off the top of my head.

My reasons for not liking Google Chrome have nothing to do with this thread. Thus is why I didn't go into them in depth.

However, with that said, I think the 1% (some people are claiming 3%) have nothing to do with their concrete market share.

17. mlupple

mlupple New Member

Thanks Received:
  18. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Retarded disclaimers like this are, sadly enough, also the norm today. I've seen similiar disclaimers in ISP terms of service (Charter Cable, in the US, comes to mind) -- try avoiding those. :shadedshu

However, like some of the commenters on Valleywag stated, these all-encroaching claims of ownership cease when you stop using that company's product, though IANAL.

19. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I have to agree with kreij. When you first open it, you don't have to go digging thru menus to change settings. It's right there in front of your face. Every single person I know actually read that screen and configured IE7 to their preferences when they first installed it. Just because you didn't, don't assume that counts as the majority.

20. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    iAnal? Sounds like an Apple product. Luckily Apple products are streamlined, or it would hurt.

21. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    As far as Google Chrome. I tried it, I don't like it. It's too simplified. I'd like a few more options.

22. Viscarious New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, but Gmail is AMAZING! I love it!

1c3d0g says thanks.
  23. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Sure, but in the unlikely incident that GMail harms you , you can't sue Google, since that's a beta. People who run anything beta are not answerable to anything unforeseen caused due to it.

Viscarious says thanks.
  24. Viscarious New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, but, Gmail and I are good buddies. Gmail wouldnt hurt me!

25. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Id like to see gmail try and harm me...ill put up a fight. im not goin down that easy.