1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Chrome will Overtake Internet Explorer in 2012: StatCounter

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jan 2, 2012.

1. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    LOL . Well yes . I know I had my mind made up too . Google Chrome is not for me . :p

2. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I like chrome, I don't like FF, swings and roundabouts. And yes I have tried FF, I just think there is too much crap in FF.

3. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't call crap to anything becasue I can't customize it, you can easily set a home page in preferences -> basics and access to it when opening a new tab and enable the home button options just below :slap:

http://www.macstories.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Google-Chrome-Settings.png

4. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Chrome is safer cooler sexier and faster. I can see the day when chrome will be #1. I'm no G fan but chrome rocks.

5. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Chrome is great, but I still like the feel of IE. Windows 8 may help IE start a new upwards trend.

6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Google is becomming too big...

7. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I have tried Chrome and FF, I still like my FF it seems more user friendly and I like the looks more.

FF= Normal use:rockout:
    Chrome=Pron :p

2,000 Post

8. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:

Yeah like apple, they need destroying......

9. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    Hits and unique visitors are completely different things. Nothing to do with sample size.

10. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't matter. Stat counters, hits, unique visitors, etc, don't count everything all at once, period. Unless you find something that does, you read the information, acknowledge that it's not exactly accurate, and move on. If you don't trust the numbers, don't read it. It could just as easily be skewed the other way, a different way, or be exactly accurate at that moment in time, or last year, or next Thursday. It's a guess.

5 Million points folded for TPU
  11. semantics

semantics

Thanks Received:
    As apposed to every time you visit google and youtube it tells you to use chrome two very high traffic sites.

Anyways i use opera just becuase i can change the UI to be just the way i like it without having to go out and find add-on/plug-ins to do so. Performance means nothing at this point all of it is fast and security come 80% from the user not clicking yes to everything.

12. HillBeast

HillBeast New Member

Thanks Received:
    It may be becoming the largest browser but it's still the worst. It has the worst customisability, worst security, it's the slowest by a mile and it has no add-ons whatsoever.

This is coming from a guy who used Chrome last just yesterday, and I own two Androids, and I use Gmail and YouTube. It's a terrible browser. I can't wait until Firefox stop wasting their time on the version number thing they're doing and take the lead back again.

13. MaloW New Member

Thanks Received:
    I must say I prefer FF, mostly because I can get it to look exactly how I want and there's tons of addons that today I would not last without. Maybe chrome has equivalents to those.
    The main problem I had with chrome however was that every tab in chrome started a new process, which meant that if I had tons of tabs up while running a game, the game-process would get very low priority because it was fighting against 20+ processes from chrome. This was a while ago tho, is chrome still using a new process for every tab?

14. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I have used ff and chrome and I prefer chrome. and I use the tab page for my start page

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    LOL i use Opera and occassionally IE9 :/ most popular and least popular

16. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    Again the accuracy of the raw data has nothing to do with this. It's fundamentally wrong to try to determine market share from hits instead of actual, unique visitors. One user opening the same page twice is not the same as two different users opening that page once, period.

17. OOZMAN

OOZMAN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Go into settings you utter baloni head. Where else would you change the homepage? No offence but you have to be the most ridiculous user on TPU.

And unless you main language is not english (which I apologise in advance if it isn't) would you please learn how to operate full stops.

Wow. Wow. Wow. "no add-ons whatsoever." Wow.

So many n00bs. "BUUURRRRRR WHERE ARE ALL TEH BUTTONS? WHY IS IT BLUE? WHERES MY PANTS?"

Here's a screenshot of my 'non customisable, no add ons' Chrome.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  18. amd/atifiend New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently switched to google chrome a few months ago and haven't looked back.

Reason was my isp was slowly murdering my connection and so at first I suspected the browser since I recently tried IE9. It does seem to run smoother tho but nothing to write home about.

To me Google Chrome is like an Iphone even tho I hate apple; at the time the Iphone came out I liked it bc it worked smooth and was user friendly(seemed to have less bugs and more features I could see myself using than the competition).

When you have a good product people will buy it simple as that.

IE9 seems to be way overdone with hype. It made it seem like going to IE9 would transcend my internet "experience" with all this smoothed out visual crap. Only feature I cared about was the APP with my GPU's but I didn't notice any performance increase.

The google browser is laid out simple and the features it does have are noticeable. Namely the search engine integration into the address bar once I type in enough characters I can choose between going to the web address or a google search hit.

Integrated Webpage Translation.

Seems to play nice with my anti-virus.

Things I can think of atm chrome needs to do:

-Put the fav/"bookmark" bar up be default instead of me having to enable it.

-Put a history button in the fav bar

-Alternatively make little icons for them and shorten the address bar instead of making a new bar.

-Change the way it handles files I download. That is one thing I liked about IE9 was the little gui that showed up and gave me the options/shortcuts strait into windows explorer.

edit: I have heard talks of security issues. I also know I can get to the history by the little wrench...would like a dedicated button tho.

OOZMAN: After seeing your screenie....looking for addons now. :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  19. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    I think that's exactly my point: It's not accurate, and neither is ANY poll you look at. You take it as information, understanding what it represents. This particular poll represents statcounter vis-a-vis Chrome hits overtaking IE. The industry has long used statcounters to indicate leading hits by browser, and this just continues the trend. Either you accept it for what it's worth (a moderately inaccurate indicator of how many hits of what type occur on the Internet on many pages), or you don't, and MOVE ON.

20. Spartan805

Spartan805 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I understand IE + windows, its part of the OS. Chrome is the new ASK TOOLBAR, its everywhere. I like FF, Im so use to it.

But I do have all the major browsers installed. IE, FF, Chrome, OPERA

21. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I had to ad "Dropdown List of Most Visited Links" extension to Chrome because it was driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!

Why Google hasn't added this as a standard feature is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond me...I've been using that drop down since Netscape and so has everyone else FFS!

22. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    That "most visited" is what shows on the blank "new tab" of my chrome....

23. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I use primarily chrome and sometimes Opera. They are both fast and stable. I hate IE, and while I like FF, it has crashed every so often on every system I've ever owned. If it didn't, it would be my browser of choice.