1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Doctor on the horizon?

Discussion in 'News' started by D_o_S, Nov 13, 2006.

  1. D_o_S

    D_o_S Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2005
    Messages:
    979 (0.30/day)
    Thanks Received:
    38
    Google is a useful aid for anybody, no doubt. Taking Google yet another level higher, a medical research study proposes that Google could actually help doctors diagnose illnesses. The test, which you can download at the British Medical Journal's site, attempted to clarify what role internet search engines can play in health care.

    The result is actually quite startling; Google correctly diagnosed 58 percent of the medical cases proposed, in the other 42% Google gave a diagnosis, which was not detailed enough to be considered correct. The article isn't particularly long and is well worth a read, with the conclusion advising that doctors receive training in Google searching to make the most of the resource:

    "Physicians have been estimated to carry two million facts in their heads to fulfill this role [diagnostician]. With medical knowledge expanding rapidly, even this may not be enough. Search engines allow quick access to an ever increasing knowledge base. Google gives users ready access to more than three billion articles on the web and has far exceeded PubMed as the search engine of choice for retrieving medical articles."

    Source: Bit-tech
     
  2. Jimmy 2004

    Jimmy 2004 New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2005
    Messages:
    5,491 (1.56/day)
    Thanks Received:
    267
    Location:
    England
    Sorry but I don't intend to trust google with my health... GPs may get it wrong but at least they see you in the flesh. Nice idea but it won't ever be 100% trustworthy (admittedly what is?) and I could see it becoming an online feature to diagnose small problems giving people a wrong diagnosis on something that could be much more serious - think of the lawsuits then.
     
  3. Thermopylae_480

    Thermopylae_480 New Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2005
    Messages:
    3,686 (1.08/day)
    Thanks Received:
    393
    Location:
    Little Rock Arkansas, United States
    A hypochondriacs dream.
     
  4. overcast New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2006
    Messages:
    737 (0.23/day)
    Thanks Received:
    2
    You are misinterpreting this. This isn't meant for you to type in a symptom, and it just draws up the final answer. They are talking about doctors using it as as a tool for reference, and going from there. Many diseases have similar symptoms and can easily be mistaken for one another. If this helps doctors think of more accurate answers, I'm all for it.
     
  5. tenalouise

    tenalouise New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2006
    Messages:
    1 (0.00/day)
    Thanks Received:
    0
    Location:
    Kansas USA
    Thank you!


    thank you - for the information!
     

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guest)

Share This Page