1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google editing mails?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Frick, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Hey all.

So, I worked for a couple of months at Microsoft tech support. There we had access to some sweet tools that could generate any product key, and I got Office Ultimate 2007 this way. My boss said it was ok (I was learing how to use the tool and accidentaly created a key), so I copied the key and some info about the product and mailed it to myself by Gmail. Plain text btw. Now I haven't used Office since like 1999, as I don't need the programs, but I figured as I got a key for it I might as well use it.

Just this morning I reinstalled windows, so I had to reinstall Office. Said and done, and when I was about to copy the key it was gone from the mail. All there is is the additional info I copied and a popup asking for username/password for the tool I used to create it (for those interested, it's an tool that require an MS partner account).

I'm not very worried about losing the key (also, I didn't write it down elsewhere :p), as I don't really care for what office have to offer, but I find it pretty wierd that the mail have been edited.

What do you think?
  2. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    Hax!
  3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Never had anything like that happen to my emails in gmail.
  4. Rexter

Rexter New Member

Thanks Received:
    Take a look in "Sent emails" and find the email you sent to yourself to check if its also gone from that copy.
    Frick says thanks.
  5. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Only the additional info was there?

Did you hit cut instead of copy?
  6. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Google definitely does read the content of your mail. It's how the ads on gmail work.
  7. caleb

Thanks Received:
    My guess is that the email had the key as some sort of linked content and it expired or doesn't work from your current network.

Google bots read the mail and populate adds based on words inside your email.
  8. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    It's more likely that microsoft has "firewalled" the server you sent the mail from so that it blocks keys and anything that resembles source code to stop leaks. Corporate espionage is a pretty huge and expensive concern in modern businesses. Have you thought of that option? :p
  9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Will do, didn't think about that.

Newp. I only opened the mail, so that wasn't even an option.

I thought about that, but I sent it as plain text. No HTML content or anything. It's still possible though.