1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Voice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by n-ster, Sep 24, 2009.

1. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Google bought this thing not too long ago. It would be quite practical for me.http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

Problem is it is invite only, you can ask for an invite but apparently it could take a while :( Only other way to get it is if you have a military e-mail (.mil), which I don't have obviously. So would anyone be kind enough to invite me?

How many of you use this feature or Grand Central (before it was bought)? How do you like it?
  2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Got my invite, didnt use it though.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    I use Google voice, and it works pretty well. It needs some improving but it's a 2nd # incase something happens to my cell I can just forward to that number.

For the invite you just apply and they invite you. Not a person to person invite.
  4. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I know but it takes so long apparently... lately Canada has been reincluded in something so the hype went way up... I've only been waiting less than a week though
  5. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Took around a month for mine to come through. You'll just get a random email.
  6. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Well now with Google Voice I can make unlimited phone calls with my itouch as long as I have wifi :) I can't receive any though :( can't make it work,, but that's ok.

Well, has anyone tried this with their iphone?? free unlimited calling with gizmo and all :D

Thoughts about it? Noone really uses Google Voice? I encourage you to get an invite from https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googlevoiceinvite/

Also, my cousin is asking me to ask for an invite from someone if noone is using theirs... :) So I am lol. He's super Jealous xD
  7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    inbound VOIP calls require port 5060 to be forwarded or running through a SIP proxy. its something of a specialty of mine, we have over 5 VOIP lines in my house :p

i asked for an invite, this could be fun - i have friends in the USA and canada
  8. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Good to see you got it working (figured you were set when you did not PM me), at least my invite went to good use :laugh:
    n-ster says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    :D

Yea I'm going through SIP
  10. lemode New Member

Thanks Received:
    I love Google voice! I use my google # for business now.

Took me about 2 weeks to get my invite.