1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google vs. Bing

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Bald Eagle, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Bing In On - 5 for Google.

Only used one query that would make it obvious that it was Google (conversion). The rest were stuff like "how much do prostitutes make" and honestly chose the side with best results.

2. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    I find it very exciting that you are (also) just ignored the fact that I suggested it to avoid personalized search results and not because it protects your privacy.

If you think my advice was bad or stupid, just ignore it please, no hard feelings:)

3. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Maybe you should create a poll just for fun?

4. Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle New Member

Thanks Received:
    A poll would be a formality. It would simply give a huge usage for Google.

My intentions were to solicit the opinions of users, especially experienced pundits in order to "try" and establish a practical comparison between Google and Bing.

I am particularly interested in the explicit search capabilities of each engine and not whether the vendor gathers personal data for development reasons. All comments are of course welcome, it all adds to the grand picture.

The posts so far are highly commendable, extremely interesting and much appreciated.

My feeling is that it is a close run thing with Google in the lead. The trouble is that Google has become an icon or living legend, rather like Hoover became to vacuum cleaners.

Nobody ever says "Bing it", even though technically there may only be a tiny difference, if any between their search facilities.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  5. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    No, they say, "ba da bing!"

Sorry, just could not resist.

6. Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle New Member

Thanks Received:
    HELP !

Could somebody kindly tell me how to get rid of the wide street bars that appear on Bing Maps ? They are a damned nuisance and cover half the street views. Google Maps do not have these stupid wide markers.

7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i dunno
    for me it looks they are the same i use both of them but google still got the most

bing looks kinda complicated for me, google looks more straight forward.

8. Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I looked at the following SE share link displaying a pie chart of global usage in April 2013. There are probably dozens of these comparisons, but here is one.

In terms of true technical benefits, market share does not mean much, it simply shows usage and is not any guidance as to which SE is best, just for many reasons the popularity. Popularity is no indication of a better product. For example try cars and you will find that a Bugatti Veyron Super Sports at $2,400,000 must obviously be junk as it does not feature amongst the worlds most popular buggies.

Anyhow, for pure interest :-

http://www.karmasnack.com/about/search-engine-market-share/

9. Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have already thanked you gratefully for the tip on using ixquick.

It is great for my selective searching - I use Google normally, but ixquick is a very attractive alternative when wishing to use a proxy.

Can you please explain why ixquick automatically disables Javascript ?
    It means that almost every picture and video on the web is blacked out. So whilst it is fabulous having my IP substituted by phony one, it is of no use at all if I cannot see any videos. My use of ixquick therefore comes to very little except for text searching and many sites have videos.

I have looked on the web to see if I can enable javascript with ixquick, but found nothing. This disabling is completely ixquick and nothing to do with my browser settings or other program settings.

Your comments would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you.

10. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    I just saw on ad for Bing on CNN playing on privacy fears and Google as "Big Brother" ("Can you really trust Google for anything...?").

They have a point but I was like damn!

11. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Just don't use the proxy service but the regular links instead, you should still be kept (largely) out of the records of sites you visit through Ixquick.

Bald Eagle says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. bmaverick

bmaverick

Thanks Received:
    Over the past four years, the google translate rivals Bablefish.

You can search for USPS numbers and if the packages went out.