1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

google will shut down google labs

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by micropage7, Jul 23, 2011.

1. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    Jetster says thanks.
  2. twilyth Guest

Great post. I always go to the GL page and want to play with some of the stuff there but I never get around to it.

It's probably a smart decision to try to consolidate. As long as google was growing at ridiculous annual rates, it could afford to toss money at a variety of ideas. As they're now becoming more of a mature enterprise, it makes sense to pull back.

But GL did give us google maps and froogle (google shopping) which I do use frequently, so it probably means that a couple of good ideas won't be pursued. That's a bummer.
  3. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    Google Toolbar, at least for Firefox, is done too. It's a shame to see a legacy die. Google Labs will be missed by many. Much of what Google currently offers came from Google Labs: Maps, Earth, Toolbar, GTalk, Docs.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
    Jetster says thanks.
  4. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Ahhhh man. I ALWAYS use google search with the shopping tab to see where the cheapest stuff is. That really sucks. I'm probably going to have to favorite more than a few etailers now in my bookmarks....along with the couple hundred that I already have :eek:
  5. twilyth Guest

I'm sure that neither of those will be affected. There's already plenty of ad revenue from google shopping I'm sure and I don't think they will have a problem making google maps self sustaining. Don't know about google earth though.