1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Got a new router...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ketxxx, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Its being a bastard to set up. The router I got to replace the shitty BT hub is a ZyXEL NBG334W link I plugged everything up and ran the utility to set the router up, all seemed to be ok, however the setup doesnt seem to detect any DNS\IP\DHCP etc addresses. The light on the router for WAN functionality also doesnt light up, period :wtf:

Settings and connections have been quadrouple checked, and are without doubt ok, the light for WAN just doesnt light up and no addresses are detected. If the light for WAN lit up it would be ok I would just put the addresses in manually, but no go. I also unplugged the router and left for a bit then plugged it back in after setup, still no WAN lighting up..

Ideas? Throw whatever questions you want at me I got it all staring at me right now trying to see why the bastard wont work.

2. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    It could be a couple of things, though you may have already checked them. Could be a software firewall or windows firewall blocking it. Could be your Ethernet connection to the motherboard itself. Sometimes it doesnt like to be seen. You of course, could try putting in the addresses manually or rebooting your computer into safemode and checking things out that way. Ive had the problem with the router not detecting my connection before and it was due to my DSL Router/modem. I had to open up ports and allow my stuff to be seen, as it were.

3. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    First thing I would check is the cable from WAN port to ISP. Your router supports MDI/MDIX but i've known that to be flakey at best. Try a crossover cable/straight though also see if there is setting on router to force MDI/MDIX

Second, does your ISP control access by MAC address, if so either get your routers MAC address added to the allow list or spoof the router MAC address.

4. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    The router should be seen ok, everything is set for automatic as it was for the shitty BT hub, I will check the firewall though, I dont recall a firewall popup where I think there was one for the BT hub when that went in.

5. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Yeah. My whole deal was my Netopia Bellsouth DSL router and the one I had before (westell) didnt like seeing my router. I had to open it up to be seen. Set all kinds of things. get the Mac address, the ports, the IP address of it and open it up in the configure menu. It was a hassle, but once it was done, it worked good. Of course, I had two built in hardware firewalls, so torrenting was a complete bitch.

6. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Right, we will see how things go in a sec, just opened up port 80 in the firewall exceptions, better bloody work or I'm going on a killing spree...

ed - Anyone know of any CMD commands that will tell me more info than ipconfig/all? I get the feeling that comand isnt quite telling me the _whole_ story with whats going on.

7. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    try setting the ips seperately, if it cant obtain it dynamically from your modem

8. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Another thing to try, in case it dont work, is setting up a static ip.

9. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    tried that, didnt work.

10. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    so basically your modem and router aren't getting along?

11. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I dunno exactly, everything is connected as it should be, the wireless adapter can connect to the new hub fine, the hub itself just cant aquire WAN settings and the LED for WAN on the hub isnt lighting up.

12. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    If you are getting no WAN led it is a physical problem with ports or cables, try plugging PC into it or another Ethernet device.

13. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I have another ethernet cable I can try. Its just perpelxing to say the least as to why this router isnt working.

14. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Ok, try to figure this one out. For the hel of it I plugged the ethernet connection into the wan port and the wan connection into the lan port, all lights lit up as they should, but naturally it doesnt work still.

15. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    when setting up a asdl modem an router i had to change the modems ip,
    router is 192.168.1.1
    modem is 192.168.1.2
    the router is set to bridge mode(some option like that)
    i was also using an asdl router aswell, modem an pc both connected to the lan ports, not using the internet port

16. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Check it's configured for wireless, some run in wired mode unless you tell them not too, for setup, I think.

17. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I havent found anything like that. Damn thing jus wont find my phone line when things are connected as they should, all the right lights light up tho when the lan connection is in the wan port and the wan connection is in the lan port, but for obvious reasons it dont work like that.

18. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    dont know if these settings would apply as its a linksys asdl router,
    [​IMG]
    when setting up i had to plug modem directly to pc first to change the ip. as it wasnt picked up as both were 192.168.1.1

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  19. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Ta I'll give them settings a go tomorrow hopefully, that is if Rachael doesnt hold me up, not that I mind shes cute :D :p