1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Got a speeding ticket for 5 mph over.

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Nick89, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    This is such BS

I was driving home from a friends house after a late night of Werewolf the Apocalypse doing 70mph on the freeway at 2am, I get pulled over by a motorcycle cop who just writes me a ticket with no explanation or even asking me how fast I think I was going. the normal speed limit is 65MPH.

I'm going to goto this lawyer who can reduce the ticket to a parking ticket so my insurance doesnt go up and so I dont get any points on my license, I only have the pay the lawyer the difference of the ticket so it will only cost me what the original price of the ticket was and I dont get any points on my license or an insurance raise. :cool:

2. paulm

paulm New Member

Thanks Received:
    Reckless drivers....

Naw just kidding, that is BS. I doubt your insurance would go up much on a 5 mph over the limit ticket, and you could probably beat the cop in court...

3. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    So you knew the speed limit, were fully aware you were passing it yet find it unfair you get a ticket? What did you expect? A medal?
    How can a lawyer change speeding to parking? Strange laws.

4. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Been there bro sucks donkey dong

5. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    The same way you make it seem like everyone on the road is being judged so harshly. I'm pretty sure he knew he was exactly 5 mph over the speed limit. People always drive while staring intently at the speedometer. :rolleyes:

Naive views.

Nick89 says thanks.
  6. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    All part of the economic crunch. States will make more money any way they can these days.

A ticket for 5mph over is bs....I hope you beat it.

7. rampage

Thanks Received:
    speeding is speeding, dosnt matter if its 5mph or 60 mph over.

im just lucky i havent got caught yet

(people only see the back and white, some see a little gray area)

8. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess it depends on the region as well - around here, 5-over is routine for everyone. Cops don't even begin to consider pulling you over until you're pushing 11-over. 15 is just asking for it, though . . .

Our interstates are a different story, though, as city cops won't even head onto the interstate . . . they leave that territory for the troopers. 10-over, and you'll prob be alright, 11-over, and you WILL get pulled by a trooper. VA troopers are notorious for being anal, tight, and actually doing their job.

9. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, just so you know, expect an increase in enforcement of revenue generating infractions, with a decrease in the amount of time spent in non-revenue generating offenses (e.g. home theft, serious/minor investigations, etc) to offset decreases in tax revenue and increases in operating costs. Bureaucracies are self protecting, they never exhibit altruism, especially in times of economic depression

Nick89 says thanks.
  10. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Same with my police. They will give 8 or so, but 10+ is where they start getting serious,and rightfully so.

If there is absolutely no "Grey-Area" in life, then life would be awful.:toast:

11. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Yup the cop was well within his powers to issue a ticket, fair game if you get caught you suck it up pay the fine. Anyway you shouldn't automatically qualify for license points deducted or added whatever it is in the USA. speeding once i "THINK" dosnt mean you automatically get points in the UK depends how fast it was.

IF it was like a 30mph zone and you went over the limit id be like man that's dumb but on the motorway whatever i think you can go at 70 in the UK anyway. Peoples lives are in danger in the streets but the motorway me i think its different sure there is a speed limit for a reason but 70 isnt that fast.

Its his job tho so not like you can do much about it, he has to uphold the law.

I want to know this lawyer who can make stuff change magically SEEMS FISHY TO ME.

12. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    until you end up killing somebody

13. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    I wonder how much 5mph would really make in a high speed crash?
    In other words,...X-amount of Death/Damage @55 VS X-amount of Death/Damage @60?

14. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Huh! Your speedometer must be off a bit. That's what I would use in court anyways. That cop is a jerk. 5mph over the limit my ass.

Nick89 says thanks.
  15. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    I don't pull over until 10-15 mph over but really speeding is speeding 65 means 65

16. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    just a word of warning for anyone traveling through VA . . . 65 is one thing, but 70 and over is immediate wreckless driving :toast:

17. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    God, you would make a great cop. The undeniable logic that makes people irate.

Yeah, it's a bitch. The cop was probably having a bad night at took it out on you. Most of the time, if they stop your for 5MPH over, they are looking for something, or someone. I knew a traffic officer once and he said that if a cop gives you a ticket for 5 over on the highway, then he is a major dick that is having a bad day.

18. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Oh and as a fair word of warning. DO NOT drive through Dallas, TX without your insurance card. They have just passed a law here that if you do, your car is impounded and you are arrested. No matter if you have insurance, but forgot the card.

19. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Man, that's just crazy. Up here on our privately owned toll highway, it's rarely policed, and 20-30 km/h over (about 12-18mph) is the NORM. If your doing the speed limit on that highway, your a dangerous impediment to the rest of the vehicles.

Even on the regular roads/highways up here, you very rarely get pulled over unless your doing 20km/h and up, so their pretty lax. Although they did pass a law that 50km/h over the limit is considered racing and the police will impound your car for 1 week (and even if you win appeal, those costs are not refundable), and it's a minimum $2000 fine (and upto $10k if you get real lucky, hehe).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  20. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    VA has had such problems with wreckless and racing that both carry the same punishments (at least in our region) - a weekend in jail, loss of license, impund of car, $2500-$5000 fine, as well as the mark on a criminal record.

21. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    Well I'm a part time police
    Officer and really 5
    Mph over is speeding, but he must have been looking for
    Something else it was 2am.

22. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You mean the cop didn't even have a speed detector???

Let me tell you this little story. My dad (who's a very responsible 60 year old) drives down a particular road daily. It's a wide suburban road where the speed limit according to our laws is 80km/h. (kilometers per hour).

One day, they decided to install a speed-cam.
    There were warnings of the speed installed, but my dad being a daily commuter failed to notice them, he never expected them.

He got a fine of €120 for travelling at 68 km/h. We went back to check that road, which as I said normally those type of roads always allow 80km/h and found speed-limit warning signs of 65km/h.

He didn't try to fight the issue in court, once a speed-cam is installed there's no questioning your speed and you were warned by a couple of signs beforehand. So he paid up.

Our country though has got this "octopus gotta eat its arms" mentality - in fact speed-cams and various irrational signs are often moved around regularly, mostly to roads where it would be dangerous to slow down not those where one should really slow down for safety...
    It's just a revenue measure.

Anyway, the whole point is that if the cop had a speed-measuring device you got little chance of winning. If he hadn't..... then it'd be another story.

Good luck! :toast:

23. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry New Member

Thanks Received:
    Residential going 5 over, I could understand. On freeway 5 over though..... the guy must have been bored.... :laugh:

But hey, can't argue, they are allowed to do that, like everyone else was saying 70>65. :(

24. chris89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm unlucky, But the same thing happens over here, though. But mostly it's speed cameras.

For example on the M5 (One of the busiest motorways next to the M25 (London Orbital) The M1, and M6. The M5 has a speed camera and a brow of a hill and south bound traffic are always being catched, especially when it's early in the morning.

Hmm lucky over here though we have a 3% Speedo error.

25. rampage

Thanks Received:
    i agree, i hardly ever speed now (was a bit of dick when i was younger) i sit on my 100kmph and about the only time i speed is when i over take a granny on the highway.

altho the cops still shit me following me around just cose i have a decent exhaust on my lil subaru and decent sound system (then they see me in my security uniform and just say bad boy and i continue on my merry way to work ;P )