1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Got locked out of my kid's computer!

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Black Panther, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    OK this is a bit embarrasing...

My kid figured out how to remove Microsoft Family Safety from her pc and made herself admin with password... She's also proud of having done so and doesn't want me to install Family Safety again :wtf:

How do you suggest I retrieve my admin account again?
    Keylogger maybe? Never used one before - can you install a keylogger without logging in the pc?

Easy Rhino says thanks.
  2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Download Hiren's Boot CD and it has a user unlocking tool. It's all CLI, select the tool and it will give you a couple of options, eventually you can remove the password from an account entirely, so you'll be able to log in as the admin without a password and clean things up from there.

Maybe you should play farmville less? :D

3. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    reinstall windows or even better install linux.
    any ideas how she got your password?

4. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Yes you can install keyloggers using bots. You can slip them in her drink and then she will tell you everything.

5. bencrutz

Thanks Received:
    win 7? try this
    warning: encrypted files will be unreadable.

Frogger, AsRock and Black Panther say thanks.
  6. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    You have a intelligent daughter :)

7. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Use the cracks described above and then ground your kid for a week. That'll learn her. ;)

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  8. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    since it's your kids PC and not yours, meaning it shouldn't matter to you if all the info and programs are lost that are on it, just do a reformat/reinstall of windows, and tell your daughter "next time you'll just throw away the locked hard drive, and make her pay to replace it(by money if she's old enough, extra chores if too young).

For me, it would be more about regaining control of the PC then just getting it unlocked. It may be "her" PC, but who actually paid for it? Who pays for the internet access? Whose house is it in? Who is the kid and who is the parent? You need to do something about this that will deter her from trying it again. Teach her she's not as smart as she thinks she is.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    Chevalr1c and FordGT90Concept say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    put the computer in the closet and make them go out side and play!

Or

use hirens boot disc to change the admin password.

RCoon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Strict parenting vs arms race. If I have time I will pick arms race, it teaches people a lot about computers and security. If you don't have the time or resources to do an arms race with your daughter, just go strict parenting route.

Aquinus says thanks.
  11. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    Put linux, like Mageia 3, it have Steam too, it will not stop the kid to "crack" the OS, but at least it learn something good for future, anyway you must know if it have phisical access to that pc, it is a matter of time to "crack" it...and yes, with hiren you can remove any password from windows accounts(so the kid can too)...if you want to stay on windows you can use something like "Deep Freeze", after each restart/reboot it will restore the image of OS partition(even the cookie, etc will be lost)...

Easy Rhino and Aquinus say thanks.
  12. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Or a combonation of both. A lot of routers will let you restrict internet access at certain times of the day on certain machines, so just lay out some ground rules for when and how she can use the internet and when her time is up, you're golden. That way you can police her usage and know that she's not using it when she isn't supposed to. Either that or she'll find out how to reset the router, but she doesn't need to know that it's the router doing it. Just tell her it's the computer and she'll try to find something on the computer that is blocking it, that way she doesn't actually think it's something else. On top of that, you could use something new like Linux and then she'll have no idea what she's doing or even where to look to find it (when it actually exists elsewhere.)

By the time she figures it out and learns what's going on, you may want to re-evaluate those ground rules though.

Edit: It might be time to build yourself a gateway that does everything you want the firewall to do. :p

13. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    but they could unfreeze it
    maybe linux
    maybe best way is using 3rd party software, not from windows
    some people dont like when you feel like get watched, maybe your kids feel the same too
    if you are afraid they do something wrong you could tell them that everyone responsible of something, if you using pc for bad things and you get caught, i wont help you.

btw where you put that pc?
    you could move it to dining room or any room that open and accessible for anyone not in her/his room

14. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I'm particular to Ophcrack.

The interface is nice, the password can be retrieved (though it does require some time), and you don't lose anything.

Search it out online (http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/). Get their password, reinstall yourself as admin, then downgrade their permissions. Just don't tell them you've got their password, and you've got an in the next time things go sideways.

Black Panther and Mindweaver say thanks.
  15. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    "Deep Freeze" it is a 3rd party software...parenting can't be 100% replaced but can be enforced; software can be "cracked" if it have enough time, on hardware side it is more time to do; it was a t my shop some times a go , to buy, a usb key(hardware), without that you can start the pc...

16. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Just curious how old? Sign her up for computer classes. Hiren's is the fastest way to retreve the password. 5 min. And you should be proud. You know kids are supposed to chalange you. Thats why its called parrenting. Why would you punish that?

17. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Arms race in a nuclear family? :laugh:

English is fun.

18. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    sounds like you got a smart kid Black Panther, maybe as Jetster says if she want, sign her up for some computer classes.

but i will jump on the hirens train to, for getting that password out.

19. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Hehe, but trying to prove a teen that he or she is not as good as you can have it's major draw backs although i do agree with you for the most part..

And BTW her's or not it always matters.

Strict can very much course rebellion even more so if a teen.

20. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What version of windows? I like OPH Crack, but if it's windows 7 then just use this. :toast:

Black Panther says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Admittedly when I was 16 I used Ophcrack to get hold of the password to the administrator account at school so I could install and play GuildWars and Counterstrike 1.6 in my computer lessons. Hiren's just has a million more tools to play with though.

Mindweaver says thanks.
  22. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i am positive that in 10 years my kids will be able to outsmart me when it comes to working with the PC. i am terrified!

Mindweaver says thanks.
  23. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    I use NTpassword at the shop orph is legit too. Really its w/e you are comfortable with. Seriously though like mother like daughter. I think its awesome she could do it. I mean of course up the difficulty this time around but from what I hear daughters are harder to raise. The "arms race" isnt going to stop any time soon. If anything im curious how she did it, I'm also curious if she will be able to do it again. Maybe the jokes on us and she has a copy of hirens.

AsRock and RCoon say thanks.
  24. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I haven't used ophcrack in forever, but it worked really well on windows xp and I use Hiren's cd as well (I just seen where lilhasselhoffer posted it and wanted to comment on it) . But the link I posted is just so simple to use, and works great on Windows 7.

You and me both brotha! :roll:

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Never under estimate the power of a child that really wants to do something. They seem to have far more patience to break things for their own diabolical ends than I do now.

Solaris17 says thanks.