1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Got my new computer / One Important Question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by u2konline, Mar 17, 2009.

1. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    Finally got my new computer

$40 bucks, no tax :)

Dell Optiplex, 2GB of ddr2 memory, (I am not sure on the speed yet, i will find out tomorrow, when i buy a new keyboard and mouse, so i can get to bios, menu screens or whatever.
    I am using XP Pro also and i bought a new External HD 500GB to go along with it. There is 80GB of Internal HD already install.

" I SCAN IT "
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:rockout:

Slight Problem: The reason why i am not using it right now, i don't have a USB keyboard. :shadedshu I took everything out from the rig, clean it, put it back, everything is working fine, but there are only 6 usb 2.0 hubs on the rig, and i was going to use my Gateway 2000 Keyboard, but the plug is not USB, its something else, so it didn't fit. So i will have my rig up and running tomorrow, plan to buy a new black dell mouse and keyboard.

The Amazing News

I plan to make this dell a gaming powerhouse. I have 2GB of memory already install. New Sticks btw(got them for free) Now also, from reading this:
    http://www.dell.com/content/product...l?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&~tab=viewstab&~view=1

It says, Slots
    2 low-profile PCI
    -(H: 2.5" X L: 6.6")
    1 low-profile PCIe x1
    -(H: 2.5" X L: 6.6")

Well they are right, i was mad as hell like a few hours ago. None of my pci cards will fit , well not all, but some, so i remove this metal thing near it and i also remove the blue part, and i am now able to use all of my PCI cards now( even tho i can't screw them in, but they are still tight ). So there is always away around stuff folks , just have to use your thinking skills :)

Buying these 2 items in the future

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200157
    This way i can buy a Diamond 4670 card.

http://www.albatron.com.tw/English/product/vga/pro_detail.asp?rlink=Specification&no=249

What card i plan to use until i get a 8600gt?
    My Visiontek 2400HD with the best drivers of course. I was thinking about using the 8400gs bfg with this new rig, but i plan to buy the 8600GT PCI very soon, so it wouldn't be any point. The 2400HD on a Celeron D with 3.0ghz or 2.8 or whatever should give me a super boost from my P3 600mhz.

Now questions:

A Celeron D 2.6 or 3.0 or 2.8ghz speed 2GB vs Pentium III 600MHZ 512MB, i should see a major boost in gaming right? I plan on doing some benchmarking in Crysis at 1280x1024 medium to high( sound and particles on low settings tho ). Also keep in mind, i will be happy at 20-30fps with any of the newer games, don't really care about getting anything higher, even tho i do in most games, but not with some of the new games.

:)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You can get PS2 to USB adapters for a keyboard. They are really cheap too

3. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    or you can get single ones for each device. That should work just fine for what you need though! If you already plan to buy new just look and be sure they are USB.

5. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    Yea thanks. I will be up and running tomorrow.
    PEACE

6. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    My New Computer is confusing, Someone help :(

#1 The Great news, look at my CPU-Z?
    [​IMG]

3.0GHZ WOOOOOO
    :rockout::rockout::rockout:

#2 There is no sound on my Computer, do i have to install some sound drivers, or should i just install a sound card?

#3 What the hell are all these and how do i disable them in bios?
    [​IMG]

And btw, this computer is fast as hell, this rig kicks butt!

7. TheCrow

TheCrow New Member

Thanks Received:
    They look like the onboard ethernet, etc.

If you o on the dell website you should be able to download the drivers.

8. frankie827 New Member

Thanks Received:
    in the future, i think that the dell website will be the best place to get drivers for all the components in your pc(besides the ones that you buy separately and upgrade.)

9. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Good way to get drivers:

Find out computer model
    Get drivers, for instance, Ethernet drivers
    Unzip them
    Go to My Computer / Manage
    Go to hardware
    Click Ethernet (with the ? mark)
    Click update drivers
    Say specific place
    Say "ill find them"
    Show the computer where the unzipped drivers are
    Profit!

10. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
  11. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not exactly what I would call a gaming machine, but you seem to be enjoying it!

12. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    Is this for real this time U2?;)

13. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    My new rig is a beast

I had to go into my Bios and disable them. This new computer was really confusing when i first got it. I am getting the hang of things now :)

I just disable the sound and bought another sound blaster card from best buy couple hours ago. But the other stuff, onboard sound is disable, using my 2400HD at the moment. And yea i needed the chipset drivers.

No , i am turning it into a gaming machine. I had to remove the blue barrier thing, so now i can fit any size of video cards in my rig. That blue barrier was preventing me from doing so, only because i have the book looking edition desktop, so it only allows low height profile cards in, so by removing the barrier , i can use any card now.

Yes and some Interesting things about this rig.

I can finally watch videos without lag.
    I can finally watch HD videos without problems
    Using XP pro( switching over to home edition later today ) only takes about 5 seconds to get back to the desktop

I can do some serious multitasking. I download files and have about 10 links open at once and still play a game without losing performance.
    Having a 17inch CRT Monitor really makes a big difference, not only in games, but in videos and resolution. My resolution is at 1280x1024, but it looks completely different then how it was on my Pentium III at 1280x1024.

I have one PCIE x 1.0 slot. However, i plan to buy a add on adapter, a pcix16 adapter , so i will buy a pcie card sometime later.
    Now about performance. Well everything is much faster, like 50x faster. As for gaming, i am still using PCI cards. So far i have only played 4 games, just for testing to see how does it compare to my Pentium III using the same card.

One example:
    Visiontek 2400HD(Celeron 3.0ghz vs P3 600mhz ) Shade Wrath
    Celeron - 40-75fps, never drops below 40
    P3 - 15-40, drops to 9 sometimes

I can't say pci cards are really a bottleneck, they are just not as powerful as full pcie cards thats all. But obviously they get the job done very good IMO. I am fixing some stuff on my computer, so i haven't played alot of games, but i will get to them very soon. I also have a 8400gs , but don't feel like using it right now. SO anyways, game performance has increase about 20x , this is really amazing how well this rig is pushing this card.

Another cool thing, i can record using fraps without trouble now. I have 768 of DDR2 ram right now, but i notice i can increase to 4GB, even tho at the dell website it says 2gb is max, but it says 4gb else where. I plan to upgrade to the full max memory in a few weeks.

I do plan to get rid of my Pentium III. :laugh:

peace

14. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    you will not be able to run a 4670 on that x1 to x16 slot. not only will you not have enough power running through that x1 slot to power the 4670, but even if that wasn't an issue, you would be seroiusly bottlenecking it anyway

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is true, I highly advise against it!

16. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    You know what, you may be correct. So maybe i should skip it. I mean, i only tested out 4 of my games on this new rig so far, all 4 are performing about 50x more faster then it did with my P3. And this is with the same card btw, the 2400HD. I do have a bfg 8400gs too, so no telling how fast the 8400gs performs now. And well gaming with this new rig is amazing, no more lag, games stays above 40, even 50 at times at high settings, truly amazing.

So you know, i will skip that idea. But i do want to buy a new card for this rig, even tho the 2400hd and 8400gs is getting the job done perfectly. So now i have no idea what card i want to buy next :( I am still buying that x16 bridge.

Any ideas for a new card?
    8600gt, 9400gt, 9500gt, ???????

17. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't trust anything in that adapter honestly. Nothing faster than a HD2400 anyway..

18. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    9400GT 9500GT u can forget about. 8600gt will be a good boost in performance.

19. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    An 8600GT is the same thing as a 9500GT..

20. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    Nothing wrong in checking it out. If it doesn't work out, i will just send it back :laugh:

My BFG 8400gs is. I am just not using it right now, wanted to see how good the 9.3 drivers work.

21. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    I don't know what card i am going to buy next, i guess i will surprise myself when i go out video card shopping in a few weeks. In the mean time, my 2400HD and 8400gs is great for now :)
    peace

22. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    With the full force of the celeron behind it...

23. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    in fact, the 9500 gt is slighty better than a 8600 gtS which is an overclocked 8600 gt ;).

but there are pci-e 1x 9500 gt, so maybe there is your card ;)

24. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    MAN IT'S TIME TO PUT THAT RIG UNDER SOME LN2!!! LN2 Celeron::nutkick::Reality

25. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    what sound blaster card did you get an x-fi