1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Got my new opty 165.. should I let it run or OC NOW??

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by DrunkenMafia, Apr 4, 2007.

1. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Hey P-Jack

Sorry I missed your post there I was happily posting away screenies and missed yours.. Its a shame about your opty.. I have heard that particular stepping (CCBWE) is the worst of the lot for ocing.

I am stoked with mine.. I bought it off ebay over there from a company that sells heaps of high end 939 cpus. They were really good and it got here fast too.

I thought the dual opterons came out with heat pipe coolers as stock, which I also heard were quite good.... what sort of thermal paste are you using and have you checked everything is seated correctly.. I am assuming that you have the heat pipe cooler...

2. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    is that the max then jst under 3ghz??? if it is that a gd find!!! if u can get passed 3ghz i will be shocked

3. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Hey regan,

I can't get it to boot at 3 gig but I am not going to go over 1.5 v core just yet. I will give it a couple of weeks to settle in.

I ran prime 95 last night and it failed after about 1-2 hours. So I have just lowered the fsb to 325 and see what happpens today. Do you think I should raise any of my ancillary voltages like my nb or nb core etc.... I have never run a rig at 300 + fsb before.

4. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

woo hoo, 3 gig. Had to raise my nb voltage one step to get past 330..

Will try prime 95 this all day 2 day... :respect:

5. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    a bit warm on the chipset but looks good congrats m8:toast:

6. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeh raising the voltage most of the time get you that little extra and stable the overclock up!! 3ghz is good on that stepping!! but with a few settings and volts here and there cold get 3.1 but what 100mhz lol i just like to see what the max is and then take it back to safe volts

7. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    I have never been able to get my chipset below around 48... is that to much??

The actual chip itslelf on the northbridge is only about 8mm x 5mm.. it is friggin tiny and it sux trying to balance my water block on it.. maybe it is not sitting quite flush on the chip. It could just be a crappy block though.

Any ideas??

BTW I ran wuper pi @ 3006 and it crashed so I raised volts again to 1.47 and it ran super pi no probs, 29.32 then I ran p95 and it crashed... so I raised volts again to 1.5 and it ran p95 for about 2hrs before crashing..

I am tempted to give it a little more voltage but I might leave it for a week or so.. I am goin camping for easter tomorrow with the kids for 4 days. Will give it some more stick when I get back... I should be good for around 1.6v hopefully...

The guy I bought it from still has around 6 of these things left on ebay in the US so I reckon they may be the same chip if any one else is interested I can give you the auction # ?? not that I am trying to sell anything for him but... he was just a good bloke to deal with.

8. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    ok I have had the cpu up to 1.55 and still cannot get 335x9 stable.. that is 3015mhz.. It boots no worries and runs 3dmark etc... but prime 95 fails in a couple of minutes or so.. It is stable though at 330x9 which is 2970mhz @ 1.44v.. I ran p95 for about 4 hours today and it was ok

Still cannot manage to get my nb chip below 48!!! I reseated the block this arvo and made sure (as best I could) that is was sitting level on the tiny chip..

9. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the chipsets on 3200 are known to run hot and people havent had any problems, if you can keep it below 50 then your all good, mine runs at 49,51 depending what ive been doing, its when you get to 55 you need to start worrying, as for the cpu volts 1.6 i would say max safely! some chips make a big difference with more volts but i have a feeling yours doesnt need volts and 3ghz is going to be the max, but you may be able to get 3050 at 1.6 in which case you then know the max your cpu can go, if it were me id then lower it to 1.55 and leave it there!!!

good luck look 4would to the results

10. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Well 2970 seems to be rock stable and that is close enough to 3 gig for me... cpu is at 1.43 which is also nice.

I am not to keen on putting 1.6 thru it just yet, give it a couple of weeks and we will see.

thanx for all the input from x2 & regan... :respect:

Good on ya's :rockout:

11. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice OC. I've got what should be a better stepping than yours. However, I have one weak core which won't let me go over 2.73. Enjoy it!

12. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeh i know even with the right stepping there is some lcuk involved, i this he has found a pot of gold there!!! great overclock:)