1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Got my new PC :) been thinking about water cooling

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by -1nf1n1ty-, Apr 29, 2010.

1. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering ever since I got my new PC, I told myself "I think I should finally move to water cooling" but my friend had problems with it. He bought a water cooled Alienware pc, and there have been many MANY leaks with his he took his back about 3-5 times already, this is what really scares me, so I always stuck to Air cooling. I had some questions

1. How many watts on your PSU do you need?(I have 650)
    2.I have looked into dangerden, but I have heard of better options, what are they?
    3.How can I assure that there will NEVER be a leak
    4. is there a guide online where I can find how to install water cooling?(I found one on xoxide.com omit this question)

2. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    You don't need a stronger PSU to watercool. The only thing that draws power from a WC loop is the pump and unless you get something extreme, should be under 20W.

Which brands you use strongly depends on what you're trying to cool and how much you want to spend.

You can't be 100% sure that it will not leak. However, as long as you're careful, there is a strong possibility that it will not leak. But in the rare case that you do have a leak, if you use distilled water, it won't short anything. I speak from lots of experience. ;)

As for guides, it's really not too hard. The actual installation is just connecting the tubes to everything.

-1nf1n1ty- says thanks.
  3. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I've always wanted to do it but if it is real easy then I could think about ordering one from danger den, but what all do I need? cause Im just trying to cool my CPU

4. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    I'm no WC'ing expert. That's why I'm not going to recommend any specific parts. But I do understand the concepts involved.

Generally speaking, people tend to get different parts from different manufacturers because no one company makes all the best parts.

For a CPU only loop, you need a CPU block, a pump, a reservoir (or a T Line), and a radiator. I would advise you to get a the physically largest radiator that will fit in your case. Performance is largely determined by radiator surface area.

5. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Most people place the radiators outside the case to get the heat outside of that hot box we call a computer case. :laugh:

Pumps: MCP350 is a nice little pump that is cheap and small. I have used it in three loops. I suggest tygon tubing since it is so resistant to leaks and kinks in the tube itself. Masterkleer is pretty looking but I prefer medical grade tygon for reliability.

Best choice for a new guy on the block is dangerden and petras tech shop IMO.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  6. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    koolance 345/360 are really nice and damn good cpu block( maybe watch trubritar's reviews on youtube) and you should go for a dual radiator or triple

7. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    I have a "fillport" or whatever in my Cooler Master HAD case......whats a fillport,lol, will this make watercooling easier?

8. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    OOOoo. An intergrated fillport. That's cool. Fillports and/or resevoirs are used to fill your system. It's how you add water to it. You have a few options in your situation.

You can use a resevoir only. The res will be somewhere in your loop and when you want to add water, you add water to the res.

You can use a T-line. You attach a tube from the fill port in your case to some tubing in your loop. Where they intersect, you add a T fitting (or something very similar) When you want to add water to your loop, you use the fillport on your case.

You can use a combination of the two. You can have a tube run from from the fillport to a third opening on the reservoir. To add water to the res, you pour it in the fillport. I have never seen this done before, but I see no reason why it can't be done. This be really cool.

-1nf1n1ty- says thanks.
  9. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
  10. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:

I would say a reservior is much better than just negating it with a fillport and T-line. Reserviors add to the liquid volume of the loop which can help to keep temps lower. Unless the pump you are using is so weak that it lowers the water pressure/speed of the waterflow to a crawl in which case it wouldn't be good. But I am not sure I have ever heard someone being in that situation before.

11. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    I have been looking around and really taking my time to see which would be a better buy. I realized...I have no clue what im doing lol. I was wondering if someone could take the time and screenshot me a good water cooling kit from dangerden.com that would be pretty sweet. I only want to water cool my CPU. Can anyone help me out with something like that?

12. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    Wanting to bring back this thread because, I wanted to know I dont trust myself with watercooling yet would a good alternative be getting either a Corsair H50, CoolIT ECO, or CoolIT Freezone

if its a good idea then which one would be the best one to get?

im also open to air alternatives better than the ones I've listed

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  13. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    1.) PSU doesn't really change with water cooling. The pump draws maybe a few extra watts of power.
    2.) Dangerden rocks. They have really nice gear, and they have some starter kits that will guide you through everything with ease, and perform well.
    3.) You can't. You can only do your best to prevent them. Patience is key. And attention to detail.
    4.) TONS of guides everywhere, google has them all! :p

Air would probably yield better results than most prebuilt kits. They aren't terrible though.

I would suggest maybe just buying some pieces to put together a mock loop, to get familiar with building a real loop, and then moving it into your computer, rather than spending a lot of money on a sub-par performing kit.

-1nf1n1ty- says thanks.
  14. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    Hey thanks thats really helpful, I have been looking at dangerden kits and they're pretty expenisve, but I'm still looking at them. think you could put together a kit so I could take a look at it?

15. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:

If I could put together a Dangerden kit, it would be the premade ones they already have.

They may seem a little expensive, but in all reality, It is a REALLY good kit.

It comes with literally EVERYTHING you need to get up and running. Tubing, Clamps, Blocks, pump, everything. Even a very useful instructional DVD.

Infact, I'm using the kit they offer(Modified for my GPU, and radiatior though). It was the same stuff I was going to buy anyways, outside of the single 120mm radiator, of which I have a Black ice II in place of. It is a FANTASTIC starter kit. Highly recommend it to anyone starting water cooling. the little white clamps they have, make it really secure to prevent leaks reliably.

-1nf1n1ty- says thanks.