1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Got wood ??

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by steamboatbob, Aug 15, 2012.

1. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup i have finally bitten the bullet and started in earnest thanks to a slab of wood i got and have been working on in my spare time.

what is going on

Total Timber Case (nicknamed GOT WOOD)
    So yes i will try to make absolutely everything out of timber except screws and stuff and back IO Panel, it will have a plexiglass side panel to see everything internally

i cannot get my head around 3d drawing programs and i can scetch quicker anyways so i will get you guys a drawing asap to give you a look at what im doing

Timber i am using
    Locally sourced Jarrah and sheoak see pics below

Dimensions
    600H * 600D * 250W srry but i speak in metric

i do not forsee that i will be finished relatively quickly as i will more than likely be asking a few questions along the way as it is my first build and also to my limited time that i have for myself.

Hardware going into it that i have allready

ASUS sabertooth Z77 MB
    intel i5 3570k
    sapphire 7970 OC dual X gfx card
    Corsair HX 650w PSU
    OCZ Agility 120SSD *2
    640GB WD Black Caviar HDD
    Corsair H80 CPU COOLER

Still Need
    Full atx Mainboard bracket and backplate to make a template from
    Lighting unknown as yet to go blue or uv
    white sleeving

OK a little taster for now i have debarked, sanded mucked around with and floodfilled this Jarrah Slab 1500* 550 * 60 with west system resin so i can see into the defects in the timber and give an added depth to it and also to make it totaly solid also if some of the defects show up in the slicing i can use it as a lighting feature

Raw state of PC Case
    [​IMG]

after a little work
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i need around half of this Jarrah slab for a little charging station for my phones, tablets, kids DS, etc so what i am going to do is slice it 4-5 mm thick by 60 mm and laminate the slices onto a thicker piece of ply for my front panel and other various highlights in the case like drive bays.

Cheers

BOB

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
    grunt_408, cadaveca and Sasqui say thanks.
  2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    in response to the title:
    every morning in fact.

lookinf forward to this build :D

steamboatbob says thanks.
  3. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    As to the title srry if i offend anyone but it can be changed

just a reference to the material used

4. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wife just reminded me i went to the shops today to get some 30 micron gold paint flakes to use in the resin as a bit of a "Feature"

Shall post pics as soon as something has devloped

5. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks interesting. Keep pictures flowing. Do remember that wood is a great insulator and therefore the worst material for building a computer case esp. in hot climates. Make sure there will be plenty of airflow because there we be near-ZERO thermal conductivity of heat through the shell of the case.

PS. do explain what "work" you do from one stage to the next, ie. cut, sand, oil, wax, laquer, colour, varnish, etc.

6. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Nice material, I have never seen Eucalyptus (that I know of).

There have been other wood builds here in the past, you may want to paruse the project logs regarding the physical dimensions. May be able to find templates for motherboard and I/O opening on-line.

Another route is to tear apart a case and use the motherboard tray for a mount.

Good luck, interested to see how this progresses.

7. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    After a bit of research i am going down the path of tearing up a case i need the one that im using atm but i will get a cheap case from my local shop to get what i need. As to the heat Bonkers i am going to make the bottom of the case fairly hollow and full of fans that are very low noise and high airflow more than likely coolermaster silent 120mm fans 19 db and 90cfm. The cpu atm is watercooled Corsair H80 using a push pull system which i am hoping to locate in the front of the case, radiator will be nicely hidden amongst the drive trays i will be building, but i need to lengthen the lines from the block to the radiator and im not quite sure about that yet. Sasqui this is Jarrah not eucalyptus, eucalyptus looks a lot more like Oak and is lighter in colour.

Next stage that started today was grabbing a big belt sander and taking off the resin that was siting on the surface doing this shows up where the resin has dissapeared into the slab and needs a bit more to "top it up" and also to get rid of a few air bubbles that appear in the process (the Airbubbles appear due to the nature of the resin soaking into dry timber) and can be a pain but a few hits with a sander and one or two more coats of resin will get it looking like this.

this is the same effect that i did with a grandfather clock i made for myself

[​IMG]

8. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok serious stuff here just a basic sketch of what i am trying to get this is no fancy drwing atm most of the fancy cabinetmaking will be done on the fly as i have a heap of material to play with and i have a factory to play around with this.

ok preliminary sketch here

this around what i envisaged. atm the bottom of the case will be suspended 30 mm off the desk to allow air to come up under the case from 3, 120mm fans i will be enclosing the Psu in a box to hide any wiring the front panel i am undecided as what to do with the disk drive atm i would love some sort of mechanism lice a car cd player whare the disc is just placed into a slot but all my googling attempts cannot find it. There will be 2 sections to the case front and back, for main cpu space and drive/radiator space. and i am going to try to attempt getting something to hold the rear of my gfx card as it sags a lot in my current case.

other things i have in my mind for this project are shroud for the ssd's, spraying the mainboard air cowling white (i have way too much black in there atm) possibly going to sleeve everything in white i shall see how the budget goes first

[​IMG]

now onto todays achievements ( only got one photo in before Phone battery died on me)

today was fairly straight forward used a belt sander to great effect to sand off the excess resin on the slab and showed me all the cracks and splits that i had missed. Masked up the bottom of the slab with plastic wrap and masking tape to stop any resin going straight through the board. then mixed up another batch of resin (west system) and poured in all the gold flakes into the mix. poured it onto the slab and using an old store card (credit card type thing) spread the mix into all the cracks that were left and used a heat gun to get rid of any air bubbles and whiteness in the resin left it for a bit under some heat lamps. came back and smothed it over again popping some air bubbles and then leaving it for a few hours to cool naturally (without the heat lamps. i shall sand this again tomorrow when i get to work until the flakes are totally off the surface of the top and only in the cracks and splits.

and this is the result

[​IMG]

Total cost atm in AUD ( this will get updated every time i buy something)

Slab $70
    Resin $50
    Gold Flakes $18

9. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Is that Jarrah? if it is , that's some very nice wood indeed :toast:

Edit: Oh why yes it is (since i read ya post now) good shit!

10. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    wowww.. the gold flakes looks nice
    you made it like stone with gold mark

11. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok went to the local computer shop today to find a nice doner case the result was a corsair 300 R and when i finish with this build if anyone wants the trays etc they can have em. as all im using is the back panel and using the mboard tray for templates. it was cheaper for me to do it this way than buy a lian li back panel and tray and get it shipped to me.

[​IMG]

Total cost atm in AUD

Slab $70
    Resin $50
    Gold Flakes $18
    Donor case $100

12. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    FYI what you are looking for is a "Slot Load Optical Drive" . google that and you'll have no problems finding what you want.

13. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks heaps digibucc now im back on track :)

digibucc says thanks.
  14. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i hit the new case with my trusty drill and came away with what i need

one back panel and one motherboard plate and a USB3/audio jack header with cables

[​IMG]

and this is what i dont want this is up for free all you guys need to do is pay for postage as i still have the box. it still has the hard drive bays and the rest of that stuff

PM me if ya want it

[​IMG]

15. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok today was a little bit of fun

i sliced my Slab up to get the cabinet top out of it then i started to slice some thin pieces up so i can make up my front panel unfortunately photobucket is not working for me atm so i cannot post anything i did today but as soon as it is available i will throw it up here for you guys to have a look at i especially like the resin windows that have turned out :)

on a side note i ordered a slot load Blue ray drive (thanks Digibucc for the advice) and i can now start the real fun

Total cost atm in AUD

Slab $70
    Resin $50
    Gold Flakes $18
    Donor case $100
    Slim Slot Load Blue Ray Drive $95

Total $333.00

16. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok photo time

polished the slab last night to get my top ready

i cut the slab using a panel saw with a 28tooth timber blade across the marked line

[​IMG]

then using a fence on the saw i set it up to cut 4 slices at 6mm as seen here

[​IMG]

after that i laid them out in a bookmatch pattern but since saw blade is 3mm thick it looses a lot of the effect also cutting on an angle doesnt really help. Taped them together to see what they look like, used an orbital sander with 120, 320, 400 grit sand paper, Sprayed on a bit of polish and hey presto a front panel for my computer which just needs a little trimming up a bit of resin and some artistry to make it work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

enjoy :)

17. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    That's better than I thought you were going with this. I was half expecting the entire slab of wood to be a vertical front for the case with a slot cut in it for the DR drive. :laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought I would never say this.. but... I got wood looking at your wood! :eek: :roll: Good job! I'm looking forward to seeing the end result of this project. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks guys im a cabinetmaker by trade and working with solid timber is a real passion of mine i absolutely love trying to get the most out of it

In the past i have built Grandfather clocks, marquetry inlay panels, china cabinets etc and i dont see this as much of a difference to those but just a little bit more involved to peak my interest

:)

20. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    ^ What he said ;)

Nice progress, and the black motherboard tray and I/O panel will save you a heck of a lot of time and mess. It should also add a nice touch to the already classy look that's emerging!

21. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    :)

The mobo tray is just being used as a template i have plans to change it to timber

a little off topic these are a few things i have built for myself in the past

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. insane 360

insane 360

Thanks Received:
    very awesome work man, my uncle has been a wood worker all his life and i have a lot of respect for people who can build this type stuff that you (and anyone) can build, its amazing what can come from wood

23. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    You are motivated! If anything, having the templates will help. Very, very nice work. The half round table is stunning.

24. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok first project has been finished the slab was used to make my ultimate charging station

[​IMG]

and now onto todays work

i spent my lunchtime making this little jig up so i can adjust it to suit, cut, modify and give me some good measurements. I have to admit that the front panel has now changed totally from the original drawings. you will note the cutouts in the side, have a guess what will go in there ????? :D also this is just made from scrap 12mm mdf just so when it comes to cutting the timber i have i dont waste any this is only a mock up the right hand side will have the same feature as the left but i ran out of time and material to do it on the other side. its 600mm high 320mm wide and 200mm wide at the cutout. at this point i believe that the central section is about 50mm too wide but i will get to that at a later date. when i have a bit more hardware arrive at my door.

[​IMG]

this is the backside of it

with brackets placed to hold slot load drive and possibly a Hdd and above that room to put a radiator im thinking a 3 fan push pull setup should do the trick. also need to fit 3-4 SSD's somewhere in there but as this is a mock up nothing is set in concrete just yet.

[​IMG]

25. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just a quick update tonight just purchased some stainless steel wire mesh for the fan grills

and purchased a big 100mm*100mm*3000mm length of Sheoak, the small half round table above is made from sheoak if you want a reference to what it looks like.