1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Got wood ??

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by steamboatbob, Aug 15, 2012.

1. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    wow man, very talented. be proud of your work, it definitely deserves it ;)
  2. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    i love answering the door atm to get parcels :)

slim line slot load disk drive rocked up today just starting to get an idea to hide it but the facia cannot be replaced so i might just have one unsightly piece of plastic on this case after all but i will try to hide it as well as i possibly canwith possibly a bit of routing or something the like to hide it.

Now just a quick question if I was to go the full liquid cooling system and just need to cool CPU and GPU with a chance to possibly do 2 gpus in the future would it be better if i went for a 2 fan radiator or a 3 fan radiator ?????????? as my corsair H80 does a good job cooling my cpu but during summer my systems tend to always get hot due to ruddy hot aussie summer and i want to slim down my sapphire 7970.

cheers guys in advance
  3. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    I really like to model things with wood. Really sweet.
    Nice job and keep it going!
  4. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok more stuff ordered and more stuff arrived

My big lump of Sheoak arrived today 90mm*90mm*2950mm after machining to get it dead straight. It was 100*100 but it was pretty severely bowed so i put it on a table planer and put it through a thicknesser at work to get it all nice and square and ready to cut up.

and here she is on my Panel Saw at work

[​IMG]

and just to show you guys what to expect from this unassuming piece of wood this pic shows what the color looks like after a bit of sanding and polishing.

[​IMG]

ok and also today I ordered a 3, 120 fan radiator from PC Case Gear and a few cooling fittings. and have asked a very good friend of mine who works in a plastic manufactoring buisness if he can make up some custom resivoirs for me. one of the previous photos will give you a clue as to where they will go and the size of them :rockout:

all barring that framework should commence in about 2 weeks and then the real fun starts.
    I'm looking at using traditional jointing in this case like dovetails, slot joins, finger joins just to make this woth my time and effort. Also it gives a much better and stronger finished product, so if you need anything i'm doing explained to you then dont hesitate to ask and i can try to describe it a bit better.

Total cost atm in AUD

Slab $70
    Resin $50
    Gold Flakes $18
    Donor case $100
    Slim Slot Load Blue Ray Drive $95
    Koolance Radiator $60
    Compression Fitings $50
    Stainless steel mesh $30
    Sheoak $130

Total $603.00
  5. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK this is my pc atm

[​IMG]

Very unasuming but works well under pressure. as i stated earlier most of this gear will be going into the new rig plus a few more goodies. I like the black/blue lighting scheme i currently have but i definately dont like the massive cooler on the gfx card 2.5 slots it takes up, so it has to go. the cooler not the card :), but im looking at adding a secondgfx card in there. cpu cooler is fine but i need to upgrade it to be able to rip the coolers off the gfx cards and i dont think this system would cope with all the stuff im going to throw at it. also i need at least a 1200W PSU to cope with all the fun bits im going to throw at my wood case

I WOULD BE VERY RECEPTIVE TO ANY SPONSORS AT THIS POINT PARTICULARY POWER AND COOLING :D:D:D
  6. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    not much to note this week just waiting on a few size critical parts till i start making framework up for the case.

Have ordered and am waiting on radiator, Resivoirs, and when they are here i can do a lot more for you guys
  7. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Cannot wait to see the finished article. Good on you.
  8. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok got some serious work done today just getting the radiator cowling made up for the front of the case. This is just taped together ATM to give me more sizes i need as im waiting for my friend to give me his dovetail jig to make it nice and sweet. a king plank in Sheoak will go down the gap in the centre to cover the gap then i shall rout the cooling vents in the centre of the face to get the airflow happening. the stainless stell mesh i ordered will go behind this to act as a filter and for good looks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the top and bottom of these strips will be cut square before going into the case and as soon as my resivoirs have arrived the front panel can be finished off and the case framework will be laid out.

enjoy
    INSTG8R says thanks.
  9. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I like where that is going! Can't wait to see what will look like when it's finished.
    steamboatbob says thanks.
  10. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i got my radiator yesterday so today in the workshop i made up a template for routing the Air intakes on the front of the case this was done by cutting a 12mm thick piece of MDF to the sizes behind the radiator cowling 600mm long by 132mm wide and using an old fan i screwed the fan to the mdf and routed the hole size using a flush cut router bit on a laminate trimmer and the end product is here

[​IMG]

and as you can see by the fan it has a nice fit leaving a space about 2mm all round.

[​IMG]
  11. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    nice work and awesome looking fortune there ^^

i was like when i read topic "Got wood" i was like u mean the anime sub group GotWoot x:
  12. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    the other things i have got done today were the following

made a new centre plank so the radiator fits nice and snug with around 6mm clearance either side for fan wiring i have made one in sheoak and one in jarrah just to satisfy my curiosity as to which is the best

Jarrah
    [​IMG]

Sheoak
    [​IMG]

But in a rush to pack up this arvo i accidentally dropped one of the jarrah panels on the floor :banghead: and no it didn't bounce well it just goes to show that i will have to reinforce this setup with 6mm ply behind the face panel.

[​IMG]

but this can be fixed with a little resin i also got some more resin additives ( very fine childrens glitter ) to get the same effect i did with the gold flakes so when the front section is finished i can fill in holes and such with this.

[​IMG]
  13. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    just a little update today started work on the base, i have just cut 5 bits of sheoak and jarrah, into various sizes all 25mm thick and 620mm long the sizing is 20/90/40/90/20
    in Sheoak/Sheoak/Jarrah/Sheoak/Sheoak this was Biscuit joined together to get a fairly level slab 620mm L 260mm W and 25mm D when the glue has cured 48Hours i will put this through a thicknesser to get it flat then trim it to size and rout the edging so it looks nice and pretty

[​IMG]

my friend finally dropped off his dovetail jig so i can get some nice joints happening most of the front of the case will be done as a flush join with finger joins on the corners and im going for dovetails inside the case for the psu shroud and centre divider

[​IMG]
  14. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry for the delay in updates but work and home life have been crazy these last few daws but i managed to get a few things done and a few bits and pieces rocked up to my doorstep

first of all i have made my internal paneling i just cut some strips of sheoak into 600*90*10mm and some jarrrah into 600*60*10mm and just clamped them all together with a bit of glue at this thickness just a face 2 face glue join is strong enough to hold forever and if i tried to break the join the timber would end up snapping rather than the join

here it is in clamps
    the clamps are set at 2 under and 1 over to stop the timber from warping while in the clamps

[​IMG]

and here is a finished product with my framing material for the 2 sides of the case i am going to use a Kreg joint with dowells instead of screws to fix these together and hopefully if all goes well by the end of the weekend this will be done. The shorter pieces are for the uprights and the longer ones are for the front to back these were machined up using a panel saw and a thicknesser to make them all the same.

[​IMG]

Now this is the base that i have put all my marking out onto i just need to square it up on the saw and rout the edges unsure to go for an OGEE finish or just a Bullnose edge just yet, also need to rout the air holes for the PSU intake.

[​IMG]

and here are a few bits that have come in to help with the build pretty self explanitory Radiator and Fan controller im going to put a sheoak slice on the front of the fan controller to give it a timber look and i will be using it to mount my slim optical drive on top of it if i can find an old laptop around. Fans im using for the build are Coolermaster silent 120mm. Just wondering if they are not worth it or will they hold up to the job of a radiator.FANS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And srry fuginator but im going to sort of steal an idea off you i saw your amazing steampunk build and what you did to your motherboard and i decided that i could do something very similar with mine being an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 i will be taking the thermal armour off and veneering it with some offcuts i had laying about at work i just hope i dont stuff it up too much :)

also being a long weekend i hope i can get something nice done to show you guys that i am working on it
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  15. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    little bit more done this weekend
    first i grabbed my MB Backplate and used it as a template for the risers i used a 2mm drill to put the holes in. this was followed up by tearing apart my computer to get a few things out firstly i needed the motherboard to make sure my risers were in the right spot only 2 needed to be relocated slightly. then i basically removed the thermal armour as i saw in fuginators thread but instead of painting i shall be applying veneer to mine just for something different.
    also i installed my GFX Card and sound card on the motherboard to find out to template out the holes i am going to require so i can hide all my wiring. and finally put everything back in my case i'm using at the moment.

here are the happy snappys

risers installed
    [​IMG]

taking off the armour
    [​IMG]

Veneer selection for my armour
    [​IMG]

mobo installed on mb tray still needs to be cut out but this will be done after routing some holes in it
    [​IMG]
  16. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Love the originality, and quality craftsmanship!
  17. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    well hardstuff you may like this one then since its a public holiday today i got to spend some good time working on it today

first of all i used a framing strap my kreg jig drilled all the framing holes then glued them together with a few dowells and then left them for a few hours

[​IMG]

then later this afternoon i took them out of the straps and cut the dowells off with a tennon saw a few mm high and used a belt sander to bring it flush and this is what the joint looks like. srry bout the blurry picture

[​IMG]

now while all this was going on i was also cutting out my motherboard tray with a laminate trimmer and as i had a nice sharp cutter it was easy going i still have not cut out the holes for the sata cables or the usb3 port and also the access to the back of the cpu area of the mobo but it has been marked out to be done at a later date

and here it is atm just in need of a little sanding and a few more holes

[​IMG]

and on a side note i purchased a corsair HX1050 modular power supply from PCCaseGear untill sold out $100 off so it cost me $200 shipped

cheers guys
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  18. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    today i got to mucking about with the internal framework a bit at work and my first real mock up of what the case will look like i am happy with most of it but some things im not

here she is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  19. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Very cool build:toast:
    Sub'd
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    well happy as hell today then really dissapointed in my bad research :banghead:

got my PSU and corsair white cables in the mail then upon having a look at the cabling to see what needed to be sleeved i realised that the PSU has the GFX card power comming from the box without being a separate cable. but it just means i have to do more sleeving than anticipated.

[​IMG]

But i now have my dimensions to cut the rest of the holes in the Motherboard tray so i can get on with that instead.
  21. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    :toast: to fuginator who gave me this idea

i just used a straight edge and a veneer knife to cut a few thin strips of my veneer

had to give the mobo a slight sand with 120grit paper to give it a good key

[​IMG]

and clamp like buggery with lots of excess glue

[​IMG]

only doing a small bit atm to see if this glue holds well to plastic otherwise i shall be using araldite or some other 2 part glue

and in clamps for 8 hours i shall show you guys tommorrow what it looks like in the end
  22. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    well be all and end all the first glue i used did not hold at all so i got some epoxy glue (araldite) it has a high temp threshold so i should be good this takes time to do and i dont have enough hobby clamps but veneering the mobo tray is happening the main veneer im using is BEECH and ill have a few highlights with the darker burls on the face.

im aiming to do at least 4-5 faces every night so hopefully it should be finished in a few weeks as the glue takes 24 hours to go off.

and thanks again to fuginator who gave me the idea

[​IMG]
  23. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    You must be a very patient man
  24. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    well progress sofar on mainboard

[​IMG]

most of the side layers have been done now just a few internal ones to be done and them main covering sheet should be done by next week then more work on front panel when slot bay holder arrives which should be this week

cheers
  25. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    And also made a few more cutouts on the mainboard plate for power access to the back of the CPU and for the sata cables. this was done by a jigsaw so i need to neaten them up with a router and a 3mm roundover bit so there are no sharp edges

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    Chevalr1c says thanks.