1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Got wood ??

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by steamboatbob, Aug 15, 2012.

1. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    got a great email today my friend finished customising my resivoirs :rockout: at a total material cost of $7.00 AUD

[​IMG]
    Jetster and [H]@RD5TUFF say thanks.
  2. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    coming along nicely
  3. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    srry for the lack of updates but the next installment is here

I received my slot load drive bay holder from PC Case gear the other day its a silverstone one and have tested it and it works perfectly and it will also hold 4 SSD's so my drive bays are now all sorted.

Well today I started work on the framework of the front panel, I drew the whole front panel out onto a piece of MDF to get sizes then cut a whole heap of MDF core Veneer paneling 4mm thick to make the framework i have only glued this together as it will get clad in the Jarrah Strips that you guys drooled over at the start of this thread :D

here is the framework under clamps and packers to make it all square

[​IMG]

now after getting home and letting it dry out i got the radiator template i made earlier and routed out the fan holes that the fans will get bolted to with only one minor stuffup but im not fussed as it will not be seen (top radiator hole the template moved on me). And i then proceeded to check and make sure all my measurements are still correct and as you can see by the mock up im pretty spot on. the resivoirs will be raised so that they will be central in the height of the case.

on the front of this framework i will be attaching some very fine stainless steel mesh to act as my filter arrangement and the jarrah panneling will be routed to sort of look like a darth vadar mask to let the air flow through and placed in front of the mesh.

Here is what it looks like atm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

srrybut you will have to ignore my wifes jigsaw pieces :)
    Chevalr1c and Jetster say thanks.
  4. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok got a heap of work done to the front panel yesterday and today, yesterday i just glued up the panel and left it for 24 hours, today however i sanded it back all nice and flat cut it to size and proceeded to undercoat it 3 times sanding it back with 320 grit paper in between each undercoat which gave me this result. I also made a little routing jig so i could rout out the front panel to my liking and also its a lot safer to clamp your workpiece and have both hands on your router when doing this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then followed a very tedious process of marking out all my holes for the radiator using my radiator jig i then used a trimmer with a fence to rout out the straight lines in the face panel most of this was done by eye a lot of turning the facia around so that the holes would be the same on both sides and routing each cut in 2 passes so the router bit would not get blunt or too hot and therefore burning the timber and trust me even though i was careful the last few passes were done very slowly as the cutter was getting very blunt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then flipped the face panel over and changed cutters to a 16mm flush cut bit to take 1 mm off the back of the face so my stainless steel mesh would sit in there nicely, i wasnt too fussed about neatness in here as this part will never be seen after gluing it to the radiator shroud

[​IMG]

And here it is atm with bolted onto the shroud with the mesh, 1 Fan and radiator installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

enjoy and if you have any queries i will hope to answer them :)
    t77snapshot and [H]@RD5TUFF say thanks.
  5. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    The graining in that wood is just awesome! Subbed for sure!
  6. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    the grain comes about from a disease in the tree that effects the growth of the timber making it come out with all these patterns if you google images of Timber Burl or any timber that you like with the word BURL after it you will see what i mean. I just love it :)
  7. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i have been getting some serious work done on the front panel today during my lunch break, i grabbed a block of timber that i had precut last week in anticipation and got stuck into making the resivoir stands/ holders. There is still a load of work to be done on these things and im trying to juggle bits and pieces from this build. So here it is

First, routed out the bulk of the material out of the block

[​IMG]

Then grabbed a very sharp chisel and squared out the corners and made it all nice and neat

[​IMG]

i then cut the blocks to size and had a little mock up of it

[​IMG]

This evening after i got home i put it all together again so i can measure out the side panels to be cut and shaped

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the blocks by themselves

[​IMG]

enjoy guys
    t77snapshot and Chevalr1c say thanks.
  8. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    this project has not stopped i have just had to take on some extra work from home which is consuming my time atm
  9. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    We will be waiting patiently for you brotha.. :respect: Amazing work so far!:toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    This is an awesome project! I'm in awe, and drooling! I wish I had your patience and skill. I can't wait to see the final product!
  11. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    nice job!
  12. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    WOW you are really good at wood working! Great job and it looks fantastic!
  13. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok finally i have started work on this again, pics to be uploaded in the next week or 2 when i think enough can be shown
  14. steamboatbob New Member

Thanks Received:
    update

[​IMG]

:D