• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Government of India Unveils Sakshat $10 Tablet PC for Students

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
I will not allow this discussion to become a general India-rant.

Yes, there are many problems in India and they're being addressed in tandem.

well it is one thing to address problems and another to solve them.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
well it is one thing to address problems and another to solve them.

No government in the world can solve problems, it can only address them.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
A 300-page college ruled notebook costs $0.10 in India, a ballpoint pen that lasts decently long costs $0.05, etc. What does it cost in the US? By now you must already be feeling stupid for comparing two totally different economies like that.

I just thought while we are working on numbers I would simplify it a little.

3,560,000,000,000 x .032= $113,920,000,000 spent on up to 1,173,108,018 people in India
14,260,000,000,000 x .053= $755,780,000,000 spent on up to 310,232,863 people in the USA

Not to mention the average age is younger in India than in the USA which increases the possibility of pulling from that pull of funds and spreading it thinner.

A good portion of modern schooling in the USA is now done online so paper and pens are not used but for a portion of classes. I don't feel stupid BTW. I am working on completing two engineering degree programs while working in the USA. :D

I don't blindly defend my country's image. If it fails to accomplish something, I am open to discussing ways we can work together to improve it. You have the power to change more in your community than I do since you are in your country's upper class.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
I just thought while we are working on numbers I would simplify it a little.

3,560,000,000,000 x .032= $113,920,000,000 spent on up to 1,173,108,018 people in India
14,260,000,000,000 x .053= $755,780,000,000 spent on up to 310,232,863 people in the USA

Not to mention the average age is younger in India than in the USA which increases the possibility of pulling from that pull of funds and spreading it thinner.

A good portion of modern schooling in the USA is now done online so paper and pens are not used but for a portion of classes. I don't feel stupid BTW. I am working on completing two engineering degree programs while working in the USA. :D

I don't blindly defend my country's image. If it fails to accomplish something, I am open to discussing ways we can work together to improve it. You have the power to change more in your community than I do since you are in your country's upper class.

Nah, that still is an apples-oranges comparison.

Initiatives such as this and the Right to Education Act 2010 make sure Indians can do the same (work, study, earn more degrees).

I don't blindly defend my country's image, either. Right now it's far better than what you're making it out to be (or at least want to make it out to be).

You can start learning about how education is making India competitive from here:

http://www.deloitte.com/assets/Dcom...ufacturing Competitiveness Index_06_28_10.pdf

Manufacturing is every economy's biggest sector (propels economy the fastest), so manufacturing competitiveness can be extrapolated on the economy's competitiveness for growth projections.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech
Nah, that still is an apples-oranges comparison.

Initiatives such as this and the Right to Education Act 2010 make sure Indians can do the same (work, study, earn more degrees).

I don't blindly defend my country's image, either. Right now it's far better than what you're making it out to be (or at least want to make it out to be).

You can start learning about how education is making India competitive from here:
http://img.techpowerup.org/100723/bta9837.jpg

http://www.deloitte.com/assets/Dcom...ufacturing Competitiveness Index_06_28_10.pdf

Manufacturing is every economy's biggest sector (propels economy the fastest), so manufacturing competitiveness can be extrapolated on the economy's competitiveness for growth projections.

TBH that is the only strong point for India. Where it is headed from outsourcing and not how people are provided for. It works as an equilibrium. As soon as living conditions are better and people require a better wage that outsourcing will leave and move to the next horribly desperate patch of civilization that bends to the will of its oppressors.

Cheap labor and an uneducated mass of people are always used as the "work horses" of developing nations in manufacturing. Is it because the people doing assembly line work are all educated. No. Education would make for a heavily automated manufacturing sector. Globalization and outsourcing create an equilibrium effect. The horribly desperate work force of a developing nation works for cheaper than those of a developed nation that provides well for its citizens. TBH with how service oriented the USA is, I am surprised to see them that high on the list. I guess that is just from expensive pens and notebooks. :p

A great measure of if a place is a good place to live or not is also wealth distribution and standard of living. Literacy rate is important but many developing country's skew that number as much as possible.

Last edited:
System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS

GOOD REPUTATION UNIVERSITIES

THE AMERICAN DREAM

common, I know USA isn't perfect but it isn't that bad...

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Cheap labor and an uneducated mass of people are always used as the "work horses" of developing nations in manufacturing. Is it because the people doing assembly line work are all educated. No. Education would make for a heavily automated manufacturing sector. Globalization and outsourcing create an equilibrium effect. The horribly desperate work force of a developing nation works for cheaper than those of a developed nation that provides well for its citizens. TBH with how service oriented the USA is, I am surprised to see them that high on the list. I guess that is just from expensive pens and notebooks. :p

It is evident that you did not bother to read that report before coming up with that.

I'll just quote the "India" (on why it's #2) text for you:

India
Perhaps more surprising is that India is now positioned at number two—and gaining an even stronger foothold on that position over the next five years. India’s rich talent pool of scientists, researchers, and engineers as well as its large, well-educated English-speaking workforce and democratic regime make it an attractive destination for manufacturers. Since the mid-1990s, India’s software industry has escalated to new heights and post-economic liberation has also opened a pathway to unprecedented market opportunities for Indian manufacturing. Moreover, beyond low-cost, Indian manufacturers gained experience in quality improvement and Japanese principles of quality management, with the largest number of Deming Award winners outside of Japan.19 The country is also rapidly expanding its capabilities in engineering design and development and embedded software development, which form an integral part of many modern-day manufactured products.20 The importance of India to manufacturing executives around the world underscores two important points.

First, strength in research and development— paired with engineering, software, and technology integration abilities—are viewed by global executives as a vital element of the talent-driven and innovative manufacturing enterprise of the 21st century. Second, manufacturing executives increasingly view India as a place where they can design, develop and manufacture innovative products for sale in local as well as in global markets.21 These factors explain, in part, India’s rise from a low-cost, “back office” location to a country that is well-positioned to be an active participant in the entire value chain—as well as it now being viewed by many executives as an integral part of their global manufacturing enterprise
and location strategy.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
so long as america and the rest of the western world outsource labor to india and china they will continue to see their manufacturing base grow and thus their economy. but as these developing asian countries become educated the cost of their labor will increase making them less competitive. and if the USA continues this great recession than they can count on us even less to buy their stuff and to bring them jobs.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech
It is evident that you did not bother to read that report before coming up with that.

I'll just quote the "India" (on why it's #2) text for you:

I addressed it in my edit above your post. I make long revisions. Sorry. :)

It used to be imperialism and now it is outsourcing capitalism. For extreme examples of my equilibrium effect read about how Nike creates factories and pulls out of impoverished nations. It is evil how they let them starve when they pull out but that is what India will face one day if they don't focus on having a more self sustaining economy. If they suddenly had no trade with other countries there would be a mass starvation as an extreme example. But if they effectively curbed their population growth it might not even be an issue. With current trends at a population growth rate of 1.376% and a population of 1,173,108,018 people in 2010.

Last edited:

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
TBH that is the only strong point for India. Where it is headed from outsourcing and not how people are provided for. It works as an equilibrium. As soon as living conditions are better and people require a better wage that outsourcing will leave and move to the next horribly desperate patch of civilization that bends to the will of its oppressors.

There is an elementary difference between Chinese manufacturing and Indian. If foreign manufacturers walk out of China, that will badly damage its economy, because a large chunk of its GDP relies on exports. Whereas, India's domestic consumption is strong enough to keep the economy's dependence on exports low. Exports don't contribute to the GDP as much as it does for China. Which is why you're more likely to come across ISRO sending missions to the moon even as first-world rants that we have people to feed.

You can refer to IMF's global cumulative current account figures for that.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech
There is an elementary difference between Chinese manufacturing and Indian. If foreign manufacturers walk out of China, that will badly damage its economy, because a large chunk of its GDP relies on exports. Whereas, India's domestic consumption is strong enough to keep the economy's dependence on exports low. Exports don't contribute to the GDP as much as it does for China. Which is why you're more likely to come across ISRO sending missions to the moon even as first-world rants that we have people to feed.

You can refer to IMF's global cumulative current account figures for that.

It is true that people in the first world value feeding the poor over making trips to the moon.

The major two problems for China is pollution and feeding its populous. Its population growth is controlled and its need to feed such a large population can be completely covered by its investment in South America. The Transoceanic Highway is set to make buying food and trading with South America easier and China is set to use that as its "bread basket". So the only serious problem I see them facing is pollution but I don't have a solution for that other than better waste disposal methods in manufacturing.

How will India feed its populous and curb its population growth? I haven't seen any feasible plans on that subject. Have you? That is why I was wondering why they put effort into subsidizing this handheld device when those other impending problems seemingly aren't being addressed adequately. Maybe you can shed some light on that subject?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
thats gonna put a hole in Apples IPad sales

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
thats gonna put a hole in Apples IPad sales

haha no it wont. those are going to people in india who could in no way ever afford an ipad.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
ipad is not worth it to me.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech
System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
What the hell happened here?

Is this truly a case of complete and utter sour lemons behind a very thin veil of Envy? Honestly, for shame on some people here, ridiculing a country's program to educate the masses because they themselves can't do it. Honestly, for shame.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix

Is this truly a case of complete and utter sour lemons behind a very thin veil of Envy? Honestly, for shame on some people here, ridiculing a country's program to educate the masses because they themselves can't do it. Honestly, for shame.

neither sour lemons nor envy on my behalf. i simply think the program will not work.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
makes me wonder how many kids in india are in school compared to those of the US, japan, China, UK, Russia, Korea

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech

What are you talking about? Online course material and cloud computing versus feeding and caring for the poor first. It is a debate about strategy in a developing country. Not comprehending the discussion and claiming shame on others? A little dramatic there buddy. :rolleyes:

System Name Homelabs
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
education leads to better lives, more money and better ways to get food anyways

System Name Homelabs
WIKIPEDIA SAYS IT CAN BE RECHARGED WITH SOLAR POWER !!! :eek: man the gov. pays alot per unit lol

omg apparently 2 Watts only o_O this would be awesome to have lol

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
Erm, I honestly think you guys have no idea how valuable this project will be to the average Indian, and that you don't realise that India is NOT the west.

You want to decrease the poor, educate them. What's the saying, give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach him how to fish and he'll eat for a life time. Or what ever it is.

This project a) educates the masses, and b) help reduce the number of poor.

And the definition of poor is different in India, just because they don't have a huge truck to drive them to and from their half acre house with 45 inch plasma tv and top of the range PC, XBOX does not make them poor.

Well done to the Indian government to produce such a powerful tool, I look forward to the day when they over take the west in terms of economic prowess.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech
education leads to better lives, more money and better ways to get food anyways

No education works fast enough to properly feed, provide shelter and cure desease in a timely fashion. You rely on institutions for that first when you have 1 billion people to take care of. Poverty is a huge problem over there and developing a skilled workforce the size of India's population could solve just about any problem. But providing them the means to survive is more important first IMO. What use is an educated dead person? Also the investment is lost if they die from bad living conditions or don't receive the nutrients vital to brain development and so on.

Rakesh95

System Name Cant think of one
Processor Intel Core i7 930 D0
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R
Cooling 3x 200mm, 1x120, 1x120 push for megahalem
Memory Kingston OC DDR3 1600MHz Cas 6
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 275 896mb
Storage 1x WD AV-GP 1 Terabyte(OS/bkup) 1x WD Caviar Green(Data) 1x WD Caviar Blue(MAC OSX 10.5.5
Display(s) Dell 22"
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Audio Device(s) ALC889a
Power Supply Coolermaster Utimate Circute protection(UCP) 700
Software Wndows 7 and MAC OSX leopard
Erm, I honestly think you guys have no idea how valuable this project will be to the average Indian, and that you don't realise that India is NOT the west.

You want to decrease the poor, educate them. What's the saying, give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach him how to fish and he'll eat for a life time. Or what ever it is.

This project a) educates the masses, and b) help reduce the number of poor.

And the definition of poor is different in India, just because they don't have a huge truck to drive them to and from their half acre house with 45 inch plasma tv and top of the range PC, XBOX does not make them poor.

Well done to the Indian government to produce such a powerful tool, I look forward to the day when they over take the west in terms of economic prowess.

Really well said dude, if they can be educated to their full potential then that will probably mean a better future for him and his family. Of course food and water is another issue but the Indian government are also addressing these issues as well.

I don't think we need to be sharing numbers and figures here either, its just a goverment taking a very good initiative to help brighten the future of India. I dont live in India but i do go there every now and then and we should also remember.... this is TPU, so we cant just conclude that India isnt doing anything else for the poor.. Just my opinion.