1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

gpu choices for 120hz 46" hdtv HELP!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by bong_003, Mar 22, 2010.

1. bong_003 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi, i have a sony tv that has 120hz compatibility + a 5.1 sound system.
    i am currently using a gtx 260, but it seems to not be doing as good as would want.
    (still getting slight tears for video and for badcompany 2)
    since my gtx doesn't have hdmi output, im using a dvi converted to hdmi cable.
    for some reason i can't put the display setting for the computer any higher then 60hz

my motherboard is ati crossfireX compatible...
    im wondering if i should get two ati cards with hdmi output and crossfire them

or if i should get like a gtx 275 or 280 or something... but they dont' seem to have hdmi output either...

im using the computer for both games and movie playback... so the card should be able to handle both without any tears.

2. [crs] New Member

Thanks Received:
    id recommend you hold off till the release of the new nvidia cards and see what ati and nvidia's prices settle at.

This may not make any difference but do u have vsync enabled?? I've recently (last couple of months) been enabling vsync on any game that supports it and have noticed that page tear has been pretty much non-existant

3. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I don't think any GPU will output HDMI at higher than 60hz even if it has an HDMI plug natively, but I could be wrong.

V-Sync is designed to prevent tearing, so that will fix your problem, but will also lower your frame rate.

I second CRS and say want a little while and see what the prices do before you buy now kinda situation. Benchmarks should make the prices shift when the new Nvidia cards are given the business.