1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU cooling question??????

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by TheOne...more, May 9, 2008.

1. TheOne...more New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi everyone

I have two questions:

1. I have this graphics card http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/vga/...P&fMTYPE=Radeon 9550&pMODEL_NAME=R9550-256CDT and when i removed the stock heatsink i found markings over the gpu die stating its maker and model and i wonder, isn't this marking hindering the die from getting into complete contact with the heatsink to dissipate its heat? i guess yes! please tell me if i'm wrong? But if i'm right please tell me how to remove it? also i wonder if there were markings over the north bridge of my chipset?

2. Now you've seen the card, could anyone tell me if i can find a better cooling solution than the stock heatsink-fan? cause there are ram chips on both sides and the gpu die is surrounded with extruding components so the dimensions of whatever heatsink must be near to the stock heatsink.

thanks

2. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
  3. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    No way! That's way too big for that card, I think that cooler is bigger than the card itself! RV350 (if I remember the core code correctly) barely warms up. There aren't any appropriate coolers for such card anymore,maybe some chipset cooler.

Try finding this somewhere. Only problem is that capacitator next to the GPU, I had to cut out fins for that cooler to fit my ex 9600pro.

And no, markings on the die do not interfere with cooling.

EDIT: You don't really need ramsinks.

4. TheOne...more New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks panchoman but it seams that the servers of the site you suggested are down or the site is banned in my country. Any idea about an answer to my first question? please tell me if you know anything....

thanks again

5. TheOne...more New Member

Thanks Received:
    The fis are too small to be cut from!!, well i forgot to mention another thing about the markings, when i touched the die i felt them extruding, are you sure D4S4 that they are no problem?

thanks

6. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  7. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    Markings should be laser-engraved. Or printed on. Anyways, if the die is perfectly flat, no, they aren't a problem. The other thing is thar your gpu barely puts out 25W of heat, while most of coolers on newegg are 50W+ orientated. The only way you can get your card to output so much heat is voltmod + some real crazy clocks.

8. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    Not bad, but not really an upgrade, is it noisy? If it's not, slap it on.

9. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    Another advice, probably the best one: Don't waste money on coolers for that card, get a better card! :toast:

10. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    It wasnt the loudest fan in my case at the time. Cant really compare it now, the mobo it was on is gone to another member here!

11. TheOne...more New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with D4S4, sneekypeet's suggestion seems cool and small enough to fit on the card.

The markings are not engraved they are printed, and that made me ask. The die isn't covered with a metal IHS like CPUs, but more like the old PIIIs bare crystal, but with some extruding encryptions on it.
    What really made me ask is that the die is supposed to run at 450 quite cool, but when running it above 350 it creates artifacts.
    Ah..
    Also i forgot to ask about an important thing other than those, i saw the graphics bios mods the site offers, and there is a jumper over the card that switches between PAL and NTSC, the bios mod specifies only one tvout mode. what will happen to the other mode? will it be dumped totally?

12. TheOne...more New Member

Thanks Received:
    Another card isn't quite another choice for me at the moment, i know its old but it does the job. I was just hoping to squeez it for "care" :D

13. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    PAL and NTSC are mode of playback by region. PAL is used in the UK for eg.,but NTSC is the US format.

14. TheOne...more New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes i know that but, what i was asking about is will their lines of code in graphics bios be wiped, overwritten, left intact but out of reach of the card. that is what i was asking about if chose one from them to be set into the mod, will be stuck with it forever?

15. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    The jumper has nothing to do with it, it's only changing the signal sent over tv-out. I dunno, but I think that 9550 are undervolted compared to 9600 cards. You should probably voltmod it to get more juice out of it.

it's 2.00 AM here, i'm going to bed. Good luck with it! :toast:

16. TheOne...more New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's 3:00 here too!, good night D4S4 and thanks.