1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU Decisions

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by FreedomEclipse, Feb 13, 2013.

1. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    MK-13's have long since been discontinued one used one available on Ebay. I think i also saw one in the B/S/T sect some where a few weeks ago.

2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    FE, was the XFX fan sent to you under warrantee?

3. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    nope. bought if off an ebay seller. in the U.S - no way XFX would send us just the fan when their policies states that we arent allowed to remove the cooler if we want to keep our warranty

4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I've got an XFX 5870 XXX with a fan going bad (squealing like a pig). I've already RMA'd the card once, 2-3 years ago with no problems, they never asked anything about removing the cooler :rolleyes:

5. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    well Here they stick these tiny motherf****g 'void if removed' stickers ontop of the screw heads. the only way you can take the cooler off is to destroy the stickers.

Im boned either way. Ive had the 6970s since around august 2011 so its not as if they havent done their fair mileage.

Both of them can still pound a GTX680 into the ground but I cant help but wonder what If I retired them to go green.

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Why did you not claim on the warranty ?. And yeah it's sad to keep hearing that the UK warranty is different from the US one as the 1st thing or at least within 2 weeks i put a 3rd party cooler on lol.

And you still can get the MK13 in the US although i believe sneekypeet is selling a MK-26 in his FS thread.

Just checked it and looks like he sold it already :(.

7. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    I have a 5870 ref cooler unit virtually unused .would the fan do for yours

8. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Out of warranty, I didnt register the cards for lifetime warranty because I didnt expect to keep the cards for longer then a year.

Looking at purchasing the MK-26 but it turns the card into a triple slot cooler :shadedshu:shadedshu and thats not good for dual CPU setups.

I need the cooler unit itself, I already have the fan but i cant take off the shroud to switch the fan over due to some pretty solid plastic clips that wont budge

9. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Ok np

10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:

Maybe try playing dumb and you knew nothing about having to register the card

11. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Lol not gonna happen, the first day I put my current system together I submitted a support ticket asking if I could be allowed to remove the cooler and put some AC MX-4 TIM on since ive seen on many sites that quite a fair few people were allowed to do this so long as they notified XFX first so they could update their paperwork.

Of course, the answer was no. I wasnt allowed to touch it, the rep told me to register but i literally told him I didnt need to because I was sending the cards back and going with a brand that tie my hands behind my back when it came to tweaking or modding (in the loosest sense) my graphics card.

Before I sent them back I did a little re-search and found out that most AMD partners were running with the same restrictive RMA policies so I just cried in a corner and didnt bother getting back in contact with XFX.

However I have recieved comfirmation from Dennis (Neliz) of MSI that I can pretty much do what I want with one of their card within reason after I have bought it.

the only partners that dont run with such a restrictive RMA policy are Asus, MSI and EVGA.

AMD partners (and most possibly Nvidia partners) are all guilty of double standards towards customers/consumers when it comes to RMA policies and thats something i have come to deeply despise.

Anyway, I have solved my problem with the cooling. I will be keeping my 6970s going and purchasing two EKL Alpenföhn Peter GPU coolers, from what ive read they are literally relabled Prolimatech MK-13s.

Maybe these 6970s will last me till the end of the year.