1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU mystery !!!!!

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by kurasaki, Apr 20, 2012.

1. kurasaki New Member

Thanks Received:
    i am new here,and my problem could be explanied into two states
    1.when video card is connected to motherboard, monitor seems to hang(no visual output),but all other pheripherals seems to work:banghead:
    2.video card is NOT connected to motherboard,i connect VGA from monitor to the motherboard(which has inbuilt intel graphic card) :confused:

system specs:
    motherboard:asrock G31M-VS2
    graphic card: xfx ati radeon 4670
    CPU: intel Pentium D 2.8 GHZ 2.78 GHz

EDIT : MY MONITOR IS 2236vw aoc

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
    go in the bios and try to set primary video to pci-e and look if the videocard work,try to update bios of the motherboard ,look if the videocard is connected good in the pci e slot

3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    HAve you tried to disable the onboard video before using the PCIex card? Also if you could, try the card in another PC.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    so you're still connecting to the blue vga port on the motherboard?
    [​IMG]

If so it could be that the onboard is already disabled when it detects the pci-e gpu. you'll have to connect to the vga port on the video card, if it doesn't have one you will need a DVI > VGA adaptor. you'll have to check to see which dvi port on the gpu can send analog video (some gpu's are set up so only one can)

on a side note: if you want a decent performance increase while saving strain on you power supply, and system heat, look for a Pentium e5xxx or e6xxx series dual core cpu. they should be fairly cheap now. They are based on the core 2 architecture and are a lot faster than a pentium D clock for clock. for example... I had a Pent. D 820 overclocked to 3.5ghz. a 2.6ghz e5300 out performed it, and used about half the wattage.

edit: or is it that the onboard no longer works after removing the 4670? try resetting the bios with the jumper.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
    _JP_ and Jetster say thanks.
    More than 25k PPD
  5. kurasaki New Member

Thanks Received:
    @xBruce88x
    onboard VGA works only if GPU is removed,( )
    i have DVI port in both monitor and GPU

@Capitan Harlock
    i have changed bios setting to enable pci powerand when i connected to mointor ,it hanged again.
    previously it was disabled(pci power option) , but directx applications was working perftectly
    what do guys mean by resetting the bios?

how to do that?

6. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
    go in the bios and where you choose primary video output you select disable onboardvideocard and select pci e

7. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
  8. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Some monitors, like mine, require you to push a button to change "sources" (i.e. the output). This is required for any output change.
    Which monitor do you have?

EDIT: I'm saying this because I notcied you have a VGA port on the motherboard and two DVI ports on the graphics card.

9. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    why are you still connecting to the onboard vga with the gpu installed? are you trying to run more than one monitor? Like JP said, you may have to change the source on your monitor from digital to analog or vice versa.

as for resetting the bios...

[​IMG]

after turning off the computer, connect those 2 pins with a jumper, or very carefully with a screwdriver. with them connected turn on the pc for a few seconds. then power it back off. remove the connection between the 2 pins and power the pc back on, the bios should be reset now. you may get an error about CMOS setting not being right or the like and it will prompt you to enter the bios. do so to set the system time and check over things to see they're ok. If the bios still didn't reset (no prompt to enter setup) you can try removing that silver battery for about a min or so... while the pc is off. helps if you disconnect and drain the psu (press the power button on with the power cord removed, it might come on for a sec or 2, that'll drain it) and then remove the battery. replace the battery after 30sec roughly and power on. that should definitely reset the bios.

Here's a manual for your motherboard.
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/manual.asp?Model=G31M-VS2

_JP_ says thanks.
    More than 25k PPD
  10. kurasaki New Member

Thanks Received:
    @ xBruce88x ,_JP_
    i am connecting to onboard VGA b'coz monitor hangs,whenever my GPU is installed to my mobo

i have only one monitor , even after changing my "primary video adapter" to PCI-E ,it monitor does not work, it my monitor hangs
    my monitor works perfectly only when connected onboard VGA (without my GPU)

11. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    I think my english might be a bit off.
    The button I mentioned above is in the monitor, not anywhere in the computer.
    What I was saying is that, when you want to change the monitor input (or "source"), sometimes you need to press a button. You keep mentioning that you use the VGA port on the motherboard and then talk about the DVI on the graphics card. That is what I was trying to explain. You need to check if there is a button on your monitor, for it to switch from one output to another (VGA to DVI, in this case, I believe).
    Are you using an display adapter (with a female VGA port on one side and a male DVI port on the other) with your graphics card and, if yes, have you tried connecting it to both DVI ports on the graphics card?
    If you are using an adapter, there is no need to setup anything on the monitor, since you would be changing between VGA ports.

12. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    You are plugging the monitor into GPU not onboard when GPU is installed right?

13. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    yes @ what ndmk2 said.

can you clarify if your plugging the connector to the gpu dvi either using a dvi-vga adaptor or directly to dvi?? this should be interesting if you did use your gpu and still nothing worked.

14. kurasaki New Member

Thanks Received:
    @cotton_cup
    yes,when my GPU is installed,i connect my monitor to GPU with DVI directly(no DVI->VGA adapter is used)and monitor crashes at that time

@_JP_
    i already know that information,i am already using that button,i do change my monitor source
    whenever i need to change

i have 3 ports in my GPU( 1 HDMI, 1 VGA , 1 DVI)
    i have 2 ports in my monitor (1 VGA, 1 DVI)
    I AM NOT USING ANY KIND OF ADAPTER LIKE DVI->VGA,VGA->DVI....etc,.....
    and one more thing, i noticed GPU fan is rotating whenever it's installed to my mobo

edit: and still my monitor hangs whenever connected to my GPU or onboard (when GPU installled to my mobo) AND MY MONITOR IS 2236vw aoc

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
    _JP_ says thanks.
  15. kurasaki New Member

Thanks Received:
    ATI RADEON 4670 hd MYSTERY

hi,

my problem can be explained in the following mannner:

1.when my GPU is installed to my mobo,
    (i).I connect GPU's DVI or GPU's VGA to my monitor 's,then my monitor crashes or hangs (no visual output):banghead:
    (ii).i connect onboard VGA to my monitor, then my monitor crashes or hangs (no visual output)
    all above cases, my GPU fan is rotating

2.when my GPU is NOT installed in my mobo
    (i). i connect my onboard VGA to my monitor, everthying work's perfectly:confused:

do i have a dead card?
    how to verfiy that, without installing in any other PC

SYSTEM SPECS:

motherboard:asrock G31M-VS2----( 1 VGA onboard)
    graphic card: xfx ati radeon 4670 ---( 1 DVI,1 HDMI ,1 VGA)
    MONITOR : 2236vw aoc--------------( 1 VGA,1 DVI )
    CPU: intel Pentium D 2.8 GHZ 2.78 GHz
    PSU:MERCURY 450w(kc8200)
    DVI->VGA,VGA->DVI , or any other kind of adapter was not used

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  16. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

You could try this

enter bios; goto: Heading-Advanced / sub heading-Chipset Configuration/ Primary Graphics Adapter and check that the primary Graphics Adapter is set to PCI Express, once you have done this save and exit from the bios; shut down your pc turn off the power from the wall and install your graphics card

To enter bios
    Please press <F2> during the
    Power-On-Self-Test (POST) to enter the BIOS SETUP UTILITY, otherwise, POST will
    continue with its test routines.

Primary Graphics Adapter
    This item shows the primary graphics adapter. The default value is [PCI].
    Configuration options: [Onboard], [PCI] and [PCI Express].
    Source- http://www.asrock.com/mb/manual.asp?Model=G31M-VS2

hope this helps

atb (all the best)

Law-II

17. kurasaki New Member

Thanks Received:
    nope, already tried that,
    although GPU fan rotates,thanks for your quick reply

18. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

May I ask what power supply unit you are using now (brand, wattage, amperage on the 12V rail)?

You may need to replace your current power supply unit if it's either too old or not power enough. The HD 4670 may be pretty energy-efficient, but the Pentium D is not. Make sure you have enough amperage on the 12V rail for both the cpu and videocard (and other components that also make use of the 12V rail, e.g. case fans, harddrives, optical drives and so on).

19. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    95Viper and Law-II say thanks.
  20. kurasaki New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry,i have no idea of "bumping",how to do that?
    my PSU is mercury 450W.
    on my psu ,it is has table printed on it:
    yellow (+12v)-- 25A
    blue(-12v)--0.5A

21. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ensure the IGP is disabled first, Ensure the card is seated properly in the motherboard (completely pushed down and squared in) ensure all electrical connectors are in motherboard and video card

22. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Well, but that's the peak performance of the 12V rail, I suppose. On paper 25 amperes on the 12V rail should be enough for a PC system with a HD 4670. Do you an other PSU to test the videocard, just to check whether the problem is caused by the PSU vice versa. If the card is still not working with a more powerful PSU, then the HD 4670 may be defective or there's a compatibility issue between the motherboard and videocard.

As for the bios settings in the manual (from the link Law-II posted earlier) says if Internal Graphics Mode Select is on auto, the motherboard will auto detect any dedicated videocard such as your HD 4670, but if it's set to "enabled, 1 or 8 MB" then the onboard VGA will be enabled or the default VGA. So make sure this setting is set to "auto".

Otherwise return/rma the card, get a replacement.

23. kurasaki New Member

Thanks Received:
    what is "PCI Latency Timer"?
    and if change the default value of 32, what will happen?

24. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you made two threads, which isnt allowed. both have been merged here, which may cause things to look a little odd.

25. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    Seems like the asrock slot cant connect properly to a normal pciex card. Try reseating upto 10 times, hopefully it will work at some point.