1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU upgrade decision

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by boomstik360, Jan 30, 2012.

  1. boomstik360

    boomstik360

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2009
    Messages:
    2,207 (1.13/day)
    Thanks Received:
    426
    I am so torn right now. I need a little insight here. I have the money right now or a 7970 or 7950 on Tuesday but would it make sense to buy an Evga GTX 560 Ti 448 for ~$280-90 (or something similar) and use the Step-Up when Kepler arrives? That being said, if it arrives within the 90 day period. Sooooo 7970/50 or buy a hold over card and wait & pray for Kepler to be good then Step-Up to it? What do you all think?
  2. radrok

    radrok

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2011
    Messages:
    2,981 (2.96/day)
    Thanks Received:
    800
    Location:
    Italy
    I'd say that waiting depends on the setup you've got and if you really are running on Intel's integrated then the 7970 is a good damn choice.
    Kepler may be here soon or later, nobody knows, so if you need a discrete GPU then go for the 7970.
    boomstik360 says thanks.
  3. boomstik360

    boomstik360

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2009
    Messages:
    2,207 (1.13/day)
    Thanks Received:
    426
    Yeah I am running on Intel HD right now.
  4. Crap Daddy

    Crap Daddy

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2010
    Messages:
    2,739 (2.00/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,044
    I don't think a 7970/7950 is a good buy now. You can get a quad Ivy and a good GPU for that amount in a few months time. While the step up sounds good we really don't know what Kepler will be out first. Tough decision but I'd say grab a 448 core now.
  5. kajson

    kajson

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2008
    Messages:
    144 (0.07/day)
    Thanks Received:
    27
    I would hold out, if you value your money that is. There's bound to be some kinda price war.

    However if you do not really care about the financial side, I'd say the 7950 and 70 will really not be bad choices, all nvidia has is speculation. Spending 300$ for a card you wont keep instead of 500$ on a card you will keep makes little sense to me. Unless you'll stick with the 560Ti for a couple of years, then it's a fine pick as well.

    Dont you have a mate who has a somewhat decent vid card laying about he isnt using?
    Would allow you to delay your decision till at least the paperlaunch of NVIDIA's products.
  6. Outback Bronze

    Outback Bronze

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2011
    Messages:
    490 (0.45/day)
    Thanks Received:
    103
    You cant really go wrong with the 7970/50 idea coz u can start playing games now. When u have the funds and also find out what other cpus performances are going to be like(Kepler, ivy bridge etc), then u can make your choice.
  7. boomstik360

    boomstik360

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2009
    Messages:
    2,207 (1.13/day)
    Thanks Received:
    426
    Well I traded an SSD that I didnt need for a 6950 so I'll keep that until nvidia brings something tasty to the table. :)
  8. radrok

    radrok

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2011
    Messages:
    2,981 (2.96/day)
    Thanks Received:
    800
    Location:
    Italy
    Good choice, might be unlockable too :)
  9. timma New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2007
    Messages:
    86 (0.03/day)
    Thanks Received:
    8
  10. c12038

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2011
    Messages:
    38 (0.03/day)
    Thanks Received:
    7
    I would personally wait until all drivers have been WHQL and ironed out bugs and such like and possibly a price drop...

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guest)

Share This Page