1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by xenocide, May 21, 2012.

1. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    So I've been planning a GPU upgrade since the 7xxx and 6xx series starting popping up. My HD5850 has been doing great for most things, but it definitely is lacking when it comes to high end games (e.g. BF3) and I'm getting antsy. I had my heart set on a GTX670, but those seem to be the GPU equivalent of Unicorns, so I'm wondering if settling for an HD7870 is worth it. I know the 670 is an incredible card, but I'm not sure I want to wait half a year for availability to improve. The other concern I have is if the 670 does appear in decent quantities alongside possibly a GTX660, wouldn't a price drop of the entire 7xxx series be close behind? Is it worth upgrading, or waiting?
  2. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    it depends how u play,,i need power for starcraft2 desert strike and like AA enabled everywhere.., myself just upgraded from reference5850 which is a beast btw, to gigabyte's gtx670.... i dont think 7870 will brings u as much noticeable improvement,, 7950 would be way better ,,,
    also waiting for something better and newer than 7950 or gtx670 should take about half a year,, thats y i snatched 670 first day it came out,, just do some fishing on newegg and u will snatch it too
  3. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
  4. Robopimp

Robopimp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, I don't think you will have to wait that much, GTX 670s are showing up in many sites, personally Im waiting for Newegg, but I have seen it on other sites but a little higher, like $440 or $460.
    Also, I have been reading many reviews and benchmarks of Gigabyte's GTX 670 Windforce 3X and the card is a beast. Overclocking is better because of their custom cooling solution and from what I have seen, the card as you buy it without overclock is almost identical to a GTX 680 and HD 7970, in some cases even better, thats why Im buying that baby as soon as its available :D
  5. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I refuse to do SLi or Crossfire, everyone I know that does it has to deal with tons of problems for the first couple weeks every major title launces (excluding Battlefield 3) and it just doesn't seem worth it. If I were going to drop $300+ in the future it would be to get a Haswell Setup.

I'm probably going to give it a week or two and see if I can't steal a decent GTX670 off Newegg since that is the card I've wanted since even before the 7xxx and 6xx series launched.
  6. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Just bought a GTX670 through EVGA's site (not the recalled SC variation) for $400, not too shabby.
  7. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    Nice. Can u buy me one too? :laugh: